User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Default An extremely important note for all posters

For God's sake, people, the word is spelled "definitely". D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y. There's no "a" in the word anywhere.

...Christ.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    For God's sake, people, the word is spelled "definitely". D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y. There's no "a" in the word anywhere.
    Definitely nat.

MBTI
    OMNi

I will definately remember that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It helps to remember the etymology of the word. The root is finite which it's hard to fit an A into. De + finite + ly.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

...Christ.
    Oh, I definitely agree. But why did you place the period outside of the quotation marks? Unless of course you're British, in which case that's correct.

Who, perchance, misspelled this word recently? And how could someone misspell such a simple word? It boggles the mind. Do people have no respect for the integrity of language? I often wonder if our descendants will even be able to read our language since people seem so content to allow drift. I think it's an awful state of affairs.

MBTI
    WOLF

Come on, it's been a lot worse. Have a look at, say, the 1500s, where people would spell things the way they felt like. Before dictionaries and standards.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It helps to remember the etymology of the word. The root is finite which it's hard to fit an A into. De + finite + ly.
    Latin conjugation = De + finite + la (ha)

What does it mean to de-finite something anyhoo? That sounds like one would be making something LESS specific, not more defined. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    Come on, it's been a lot worse. Have a look at, say, the 1500s, where people would spell things the way they felt like. Before dictionaries and standards.
    Dykshunairees & staynderdqz? (Note: The "q" is always silent when preceding "z.")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Latin conjugation = De + finite + la (ha)

What does it mean to de-finite something anyhoo? That sounds like one would be making something LESS specific, not more defined. Sigh.
    finire: to finish.

in: not

in + finire = not finishing, not ending.

de: in this instance, is used as "out of, or derived from." It has other meanings, however.

de + finire = completely finish, or derived from where it ends.

That's just what I think from studying Latin, I'm not sure.

Dykshunairees & staynderdqz? (Note: The "q" is always silent when preceding "z.")
    Applause and accolade are awarded, as an above abberation aptly amused all, and also appeared asinine.

MBTI
    WOLF

*amused by Jennifer*

I'm just saying that the first dictionary wasn't published before 1604 (120 pages, Robert Cawdray) and the first real dictionary was Johnson's, from 1755 and during the 1700s the aristocracy would spell as they talked, with results such as sartinly (certainly), byled (boiled) and gine (join), if you are to believe McCrum et al - the story of English.

Damn - I hate getting interrupted all the time. Get me away from this hellhole they call work!

MBTI
    INTP

the word i see misspelled all too often is "ridiculous", which people seem to think has an "e" near the beginning and not an "i" ... going by how they would pronounce it.