User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 58

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Diverse ideas of spelling is a treasure.


    "Let all the flowers bloom"
    - Mao
    And the winner for most ironic quote ever goes to...Chairman Mao!

  2. #42
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    And the winner for most ironic quote ever goes to...Chairman Mao!
    Semantics is not the thing.
    Semantics is the appellation of the thing.

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    IXTX
    Posts
    47

    Default

    I hear Firefox comes w/ automatic spelling error detection.

    Actually I know it does.

  4. #44
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helfeather View Post
    I hear Firefox comes w/ automatic spelling error detection.

    Actually I know it does.
    There exists no spelling error.

  5. #45
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    A Plan for the Improvement of the English Language
    Mark Twain

    For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

    Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

    Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  6. #46
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    A Plan for the Improvement of the English Language
    Mark Twain

    For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

    Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

    Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
    I didn't find that difficult to read, actually. It's as if when I read each new rule, my mind just compensated somehow. Is that typical? I don't really see why they wanted those particular alternative spellings, though.

  7. #47
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I didn't find that difficult to read, actually. It's as if when I read each new rule, my mind just compensated somehow. Is that typical? I don't really see why they wanted those particular alternative spellings, though.
    I don't know but my INFP sister can understand drunks when they're slurring their speech.

  8. #48
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    There's also a lot of its/it's confusion going on around here.
    Now there's something I can use help on.
    I know when to use it's,
    but I'm not sure when to use its' or its.

  9. #49
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Now there's something I can use help on.
    I know when to use it's,
    but I'm not sure when to use its' or its.
    I wouldn't think you were supposed to use " its' ," with an apostrophe after the s.

    I've only ever heard of the other two. One is meant to imply possession, belonging to "it," and the other is a contraction of "it is."

    Does anyone else know? Now I'm curious as well.

  10. #50
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Now there's something I can use help on.
    I know when to use it's,
    but I'm not sure when to use its' or its.
    You wouldn't use its' at all-- the apostrophe goes after the S only if the word is a plural possessive, and it is singular. So basically all you need to remember is to use the apostrophe for the contraction, and not for the possessive.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Similar Threads

  1. ISTJ, Yo: Plus, An Important Message For NFs
    By Owfin in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 11:02 PM
  3. For Peguy, For All
    By Thursday in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 08:56 AM
  4. A question for all
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 08:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO