User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Zybd03 View Post
    How about nuclear pronounced nukyalur? Definitely bothers me!
    I think it's pronounced neu-klee-ur. The other pronunciation is in fact an error, and is not officially acceptable, though many use it informally anyway.

So, does anyone else ever listen to those movies set in the Deep South, and correct their pronunciation in your mind, perhaps even muttering the correction to yourself?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I think it's pronounced neu-klee-ur. The other pronunciation is in fact an error, and is not officially acceptable, though many use it informally anyway.

So, does anyone else ever listen to those movies set in the Deep South, and correct their pronunciation in your mind, perhaps even muttering the correction to yourself?
    What, in fact, makes one pronunciation correct? They could just all be different dialects, and the media has chosen one that is easy to understand.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    For God's sake, people, the word is spelled "definitely". D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y. There's no "a" in the word anywhere.

...Christ.
    Poor you; that's awful.
    It was really bothering you that badly?

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Poor you; that's awful.
    It was really bothering you that badly?
    I'm with him, it bothers me that much.

As long as we're on the topic, I'd like to point out that "woman" is singular and "women" is plural. There are too many men out there looking for a nice women to settle down with. In addition, if you are stoic, then nothing fazes you. Not "phases". I even see this one in professional writing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    As long as we're on the topic, I'd like to point out that "woman" is singular and "women" is plural. There are too many men out there looking for a nice women to settle down with. In addition, if you are stoic, then nothing fazes you. Not "phases". I even see this one in professional writing.
    Ha -- Fazers on stun!

I tend to deal more with the accept/except and insure/assure/ensure garbazhe at work... but there's more than enough human grammar (not GRAMMER ... or even GRAMMA!) foibles to go around.

Gwammaw ain't awbitwawy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

Meh, this definately deserves to be in the fluff zone

(Sadly, this probably applies to me... definitely is a problem word for me - trained at a young age and hard to correct... when I'm drifting along in my mind it always comes out.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    What, in fact, makes one pronunciation correct? They could just all be different dialects, and the media has chosen one that is easy to understand.
    You're right in that sense, because technically English isn't even our official language, but there does seem to be a general sense among people of what is correct and what is regional. If you pay close attention to many regional dialects, you'll hear how they deviate against a proper standard that seems to come from the media in some fashion.

The worst of the deviations are the ones that distort word order or add colloquialisms, so those should be eradicated first.

MBTI
    INTJ

We should probably get rid of every language besides English while we are at it.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

There's also a lot of its/it's confusion going on around here.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    For God's sake, people, the word is spelled "definitely". D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y. There's no "a" in the word anywhere.

...Christ.
    Diverse ideas of spelling is a treasure.

"Let all the flowers bloom"
    - Mao