User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinkers and Charity type-work

heart on fire Array

Default Thinkers and Charity type-work

What would the inner motivation, train of thought, rationale, however you choose to put it, be for both an ST and a NT to become involved in charity type work?

Would prefer to either hear from THINKERS themselves and how they might be motivated to do chairty work or from people who actually know thinkers in real life who work in charity type work. Not so much looking for sheer speculation from Feelers on this one.

Thank you in advance.

In the past I have volunteered because it was required of me, or because it gave me the opportunity to go somewhere interesting or get work experience.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

3w2 so

Well all by myself I would never get the idea to do charity work.

In germany you have to join the military for a year, when you get 18 years old. And if you dont want that you can do social work. Coming from a military family ranging back about 5 generations, I decided to do social work.

I worked for one year in a retirement home, lost 30 lbs what seems to be my bodies way to deal with emotional pain and smoked my brains out with marijuana so I wont notice a thing. I was damn good at my job, I worked as a social worker and I brought alot of happiness, entertainment, humor and an open ear to listen to the people there.

What was hard for me to deal with at the age of 18 wouldnt be so hard for me nowadays. I have grown to be more in touch with my feelings and became more grounded so I can cope with emotional pain better, but still not easy.

What would motivate me today to do social work is A) my girlfriend. B) the sole lack of people in Germany that do it, resulting in healthcare institutions and retirement home being in lack of personal more and more. And C) I'ld do it for myself.

I am not doing it at the moment, I admit, but I have a good excuse: I have to consider my own path in life at the moment and to get my university done and find a job that provides me with the financial ressources to conduct a decent life. + I am in grave wish of wanting a family (dont tell my infj tho, she couldnt take the pressure ).

But after I've done that and am finished with that, I am sure I will come back to social work. just because of the plain fact that no other asshole in my country feels compelled to do it. And I despise most of the people from my country.
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

Senior Member Array

It's a given for me to support certain causes for egalitarian purposes. Yet, I have no desire to mingle with actual people. Too many emotions, expectations, and socializing than I care for. I will help with causes I believe in, as long as I'm not touched or bothered.

I find equality to be important. That idea is enough for me.

i think there are lots of people out who have been the victim of some very bad turn of events who need help to make ends meet. i enjoy helping people who actually need it in a practical way. the fact that the people you get to help don't know you is also a plus, i would actually prefer to do this than to help someone within my social circle.

as far as personal motivation goes, it is simply that you get what you give, and i think even the most selfish people would have a hard time saying that helping out in a hospital, soup kitchen, etc. especially when children are involved is not far more satisfying than the few hours of TV or whatever they had to sacrifice if they actually tried it. you also get the chance to meet other people, and in my experience the people who give freely to others are those who have the most substance themselves.

That chalkboard guy Array Matthew_Z's Avatar

The experience is usually a stepping stone into my plan for the future.

I used to do quite a bit of charity work when I was younger because child labor laws are easier to get around that way. Nice thing to put on a resume.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

They want to look good to others in order to fill their desperate ambition for power and money!

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Not so much looking for sheer speculation from Feelers on this one.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Free-Rangin' Librarian Array Jae Rae's Avatar

Is doing charity type work the same as volunteering?

The Thinkers I know who volunteer tend to work in schools, libraries, politics or neighborhood watch rather than in soup kitchens, shelters or hospitals.

My NT husband happily donates his time doing webwork for the PTA; he's not likely to sit by the bedside of someone who's ill. Maybe it's a cost/benefit issue - helping many families at school vs. one person at a time.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

I actually always liked the idea (and practice) of charity work and volunteering. I like helping others, though usually I'm helping people I know, rather than spooning soup or something. When I am making a decent living, I donate to various charities. I donate to the disabled vets and such, but mostly animal charities are the thing I'm most emotionally invested in.

With animals, it's pure emotion that drives it, I guess. I love animals. I detest that they are abused and mistreated so frequently, and that they are disposed of so readily when the overpopulation problem could be addressed by people being responsible pet owners. I hate to think of so many wonderful dogs and cats living in cages or being euthanized when all they really want is a home and a companion. I've donated to animal charities, but I've also volunteered at the local shelter, helping with adoption days, grooming and bathing dogs to make them more adoptable, and just giving them some attention.
    Something Witty

Senior Member Array

If the cause/ charity also makes logical sense and is not just some ill conceived bleeding-heart type stuff.