User Tag List

First 1234 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    If the cause/ charity also makes logical sense and is not just some ill conceived bleeding-heart type stuff.
    Could you give an example? But if not, no problem.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I tend to have a soft spot for people that I see as disadvantaged. In my mind I could just as easily be in their place if our circumstances were switched, and I'd certainly appreciate any help I'd receive.

Also I think helping people that really need it adds meaning to my life. I see so much of what people do in this world as some sort of grand charade that is a distraction from what is important. Our jobs, social obligations, quest for status, etc... and many other distractions exist to make us forget what is important in life. But when we are able to enjoy life, spend time with loved ones, live according to our values, and help those in need we attune ourselves with what truely adds to our quality of living. The point of life is to "be happy and do good". That is what I think anyway.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

A sense of satisfaction out of doing something for others, feeling as though there is greater meaning than money and profit in what I'm doing, learning new perspectives and having new experiences. Plus of course the warm fuzzies that go along with helping others.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

"Doing this would make me feel better" or "Doing this would make me think better of myself".
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    If the cause/ charity also makes logical sense and is not just some ill conceived bleeding-heart type stuff.
    +1. And the bold part makes me want to robe them instead. If my contribution can make an actual change for the better and if it makes sense to do it, I can be 100% committed to charity work. But it has to make sense for me and I need to know what kind of difference I can make.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'll be volunteering for a Multiple Sclerosis bike-a-thon at the end of the month; I like charities that get stuff done, and this is one of them. Raising money for a good cause.
    Also, my 18yo cousin has MS, has already had one of his hips replaced and has considerable vision problems, so on top of the pragmatic help that I provide, I do it to show him that he's important enough for me to spend a weekend supporting the cause.

I'd rather help out in a non-emotional way. I could certainly handle dealing with emotionally difficult situations (and would be likely to do it if I knew someone personally affected by it), but I'd rather Te my way through stuff.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I've done some of it through a volunteering program that I joined to get community service hours. If I remembered to do it later on, though, and if I didn't find my couch more comfortable, I'd do it.

In my own personal point of view, I think those barely making ends almost meet should be helped, if only to get everyone on their feet well enough to support themselves and then travel on their own path, do things their own way. That's kind of my idealism working itself, though.

I myself have been in homeless shelters three separate times when I was younger (younger than I am now), but that's not my motivation. I guess that kind of thing is what evidences me to be a thinker, haha. I don't/wouldn't want it to be my motivation.

MBTI
    ISTP

I do charity work for causes that matter to me, and I find to be something I want to participate in. As such, I've been getting more and more involved with the AMC and other groups in the White Mountains of NH and Green Mountains of VT, doing trail work, as I have the skills to do it. My work directly improves the enjoyment that others get from the area, and means something to me.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Recently I've been going to monthy events up the street to make "goodies" that will be sent out to sick children in hospitals. Does that count?

Assuming it is. The blunt truth is that someone else abruptly dragged me into it, but I went along because it occured to be that I wouldn't be doing anything better at home, and complaining seems difficult when I'm being reminded of ill (sometimes terminally ill) children. So I figure it's a better investment of my time than the lounging around I do at home.

I don't know if it is done more frequently. If so, I might do it more frequently if I had any initiative/didn't feel policed by judgemental family members.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I really like the idea of getting involved with or at least donating to political and social causes I like. Charity is nice but I'm more interested in political stuff and social issues. There are definitely plenty of NT political activists.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Yet, I have no desire to mingle with actual people. Too many emotions, expectations, and socializing than I care for.
    Yeah same. And dealing with people usually seems to be a key part in cause supporting.