User Tag List

View Poll Results: How much sleep do you need to function at your best, during normal times? public poll

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3-4 hours

2 2.27%
  • 5-6 hours

19 21.59%
  • 7 to 8 hours

37 42.05%
  • 9 to 10 hours

21 23.86%
  • 11 to 12 hours

6 6.82%
  • More than 12 hours

0 0%
  • I never sleep

0 0%
  • Other---please explain

3 3.41%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Elaborate please?

I've heard stuff about sleep cycles, but never have actually gotten something concrete or applicable.
    Average human sleeps in a cycle that takes 90 (YMMV) minutes to complete. This is why going for a 20 minute nap is refreshing, but a 45-60 minute nap feels like hell. If you set your alarm or your human to wake you up during your deep (REM) sleep, you will feel it later. Alternatively, if you wake up before you hit the deep sleep (20 minutes+ish) or at the end of the cycle when you're coming out of it, you won't feel that weighty blahness, you'll feel better than you felt before you slept.

A way to exploit this feature when you need to wake up in the morning is to have two alarms: the first alarm goes off at xyz time on a quiet clock radio playing gentle music... it's enough to pull you out of the light cycle, but not out of the heavy cycle. You want to wake up earlier than when you need to wake up, because you'll be awakening on your own volition during your light phase, which feels great for the rest of the day. But if it doesn't work out, then when you need to be awake, you can use your backup "wakemeuprightnow" alarm and never worry about timing. (It's difficult to guess because it matters when you fall asleep, not when you lie down, plus everyone's cycle is a little bit different than 90 minutes, so over several cycles you might misjudge.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

To feel really good, be alert, and have lasting energy, I need 9-10 hours of sleep, and this includes a gradual awakening, which I prefer to jolting out of bed to an alarm.

I can sleep A LOT. If I don't have to be somewhere, I can easily sleep 12 hours.

I need a minimum of 7 hours or I feel bad. I've always been envious of people who get by on 6 hours. Sleep time can feel like a waste (although I mostly relish sleeping).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I am burning jealous of anyone who can get by routinely and function well with 6 or less hours. It's just not fair! :steam:
    Totally! :steam:

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Totally! :steam:
    ... Not really like 'that'.

So long as you stick to a routine for 5-7 hours sleep, you are at your optimum - as in, you function at your best.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by persianness View Post
    ... Not really like 'that'.

So long as you stick to a routine for 5-7 hours sleep, you are at your optimum - as in, you function at your best.
    Oh, I love when people think they know what reality is for other people.

And I knew someone would come along and say this. I just wondered which one of the six or less hour people it would be.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Guess I happened to be the luckiest kid in the block.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

8 hours if I'm active, so usually it's 8 hours. If I'm not active, I can get on with 5-6, but it's not my preference. Can't sleep more than 8 hours, I feel like I'm wasting time lying in bed when I could be doing something fun or productive. I also jolt out of bed completely refreshed and need zero time to wake up. Most people hate me for these characteristics, except my employer.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I NEED 8 to 10 hours. I can function on 6 or 7 for like a day or maybe two, but if I do it for too many days in a row, it's not a good thing. I really need sleep.
    Yeah, this is me. If I go on, say, 6 hours for a few days, my normally great immune system suffers, and I'm prone to colds and viruses. I can also just look at my face and see how tired I am. I get paler, for one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I am curious why anyone would want more sleep than they needed to feel refreshed and restored to normal function. I mean there are so many much better things than sleeping to be done. I am sorry if this question to invasive, I am just really curious.
    See, that has never made sense to me. I freaking LOVE sleep. I could sleep all day and not feel one iota of guilt. People say it's a waste of time, and there are things that can be done, but it's not like humans usually fill up every waking second with productivity. A lot of the time we're just checking forums or watching tv or chitchatting or the like.
    Something Witty

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    See, that has never made sense to me. I freaking LOVE sleep. I could sleep all day and not feel one iota of guilt. People say it's a waste of time, and there are things that can be done, but it's not like humans usually fill up every waking second with productivity. A lot of the time we're just checking forums or watching tv or chitchatting or the like.
    I don't feel guilt, I resent how much sleep I need. I really do.

MBTI
    INTP

I have bizarre sleep preferences; during the night I have trouble falling asleep (probably because its usually my alone time, which gets my introvert juices flowing) and like to take naps in the middle of the day, especially after a large meal. If I skip the nap (I usually have to) my preference is to stay up for 20-24 hours and sleep for 10-12 hours, otherwise I stay up for about 10-12 hours, get 2-6 hours of sleep, and repeat.

Most of the time, I'd rather not (try to) go to sleep when I do, and I'd rather not wake up when I have to. That reminds me, I'd better try to get some sleep now...