User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default Completely Unnecessary Advances in Technology/Life.

I'm sitting on my bedroom floor, and across from me, at eye level, is a smallish purple bottle of Gain laundry detergent. It's an unobtrusive plastic bottle. I'm a fan of the color. It smells like lilacs and is a soothing sensation, the label tells me. And it is pissing me off.

It's such a small bottle. And it claims to wash 24 loads with its superly dense 2x concentrated formula.

That's fine, you know. And I'm being more than a little neurotic about it, but it's one of those completely ridiculous marketing ploys for things that no one really needs. True, smaller packaging takes up less space. And I'm sure they could pitch that as some sort of environmentally friendly thing. But, really? Is it doing that much good? Doubtful. But they trick you, the Gain, the Tide, the (insert other brand of laundry detergent as I've just exhausted my knowledge of them). They make you think that you need this 2x concentrated detergent for some reason or another. Couldn't resources be better used for other advancements in the world?

I feel the same about those damn Ritz crackers with super crazy grips so your dip doesn't fall off. If your crackers need side-rails for your eating experience you're either really drunk or really stupid. Either way, you probably don't need crackers with tasty toppings.

Is there anything that really bugs you for existing? Anything that so much effort has gone into that just totally and completely doesn't benefit the world.
    the flames and smoke climbed out of every window and disappeared with everything that you held dear. but you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need 'cause you knew you were finally free.
    ben gibbard

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Now I really want crackers and cheese.

The title made me think mp3 players. Those are pretty unnecessary.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

McDonalds
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by poppy
    The title made me think mp3 players. Those are pretty unnecessary.
    Poppy, you intrigue me. First you hate on Burton, now you trash talk mp3 players?

Though, strangely, that's what I thought of too.... It's nice to have all songs collected in one place with easy access, but it sorta destroys the intimacy of the music. It certainly isn't as romantic as listening to music etched into vinyl. There's something pretty sterile about collecting music sans the physical element.

Though if my iPod died, I'd cry.
    9 wing 1

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

Purses that hold tiny dogs. In fact... lets get rid of all of the furniture, clothing and other bs for creatures that like to drink from the toilet.

Oh and computers in everything... I really don't want my fridge, washing machine, stove and car to have computers... I have a laptop so that I don't need stationary computers everywhere I go.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Gah! Yes! My friend's dad shits money for a living and his house, while fun to explore, is full of unnecessary things. There are touch screen tvs in the mirrors and the floors can sense when you walk on them and they heat up. Not. Needed.

He has this remote that can control the heat, air, music, lights in each room though which did come in handy when my friend was refusing to wake up and we had somewhere to be. He turned on a Kenny Chesney Christmas album extremely loud in her room only and flickered the lights. From the kitchen. Where we sat at the table. It was very cool.

But aside from that... You know. It's not too... necessary... to have that.
    the flames and smoke climbed out of every window and disappeared with everything that you held dear. but you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need 'cause you knew you were finally free.
    ben gibbard

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    Gah! Yes! My friend's dad shits money for a living and his house, while fun to explore, is full of unnecessary things. There are touch screen tvs in the mirrors and the floors can sense when you walk on them and they heat up. Not. Needed.

He has this remote that can control the heat, air, music, lights in each room though which did come in handy when my friend was refusing to wake up and we had somewhere to be. He turned on a Kenny Chesney Christmas album extremely loud in her room only and flickered the lights. From the kitchen. Where we sat at the table. It was very cool.

But aside from that... You know. It's not too... necessary... to have that.
    It's totally necessary, all advances lead to advances which will eventually lead to the Enterprise finally being built, and that's where we need to be headed lol.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SuperServal View Post
    Poppy, you intrigue me. First you hate on Burton, now you trash talk mp3 players?

Though, strangely, that's what I thought of too.... It's nice to have all songs collected in one place with easy access, but it sorta destroys the intimacy of the music. It certainly isn't as romantic as listening to music etched into vinyl. There's something pretty sterile about collecting music sans the physical element.

Though if my iPod died, I'd cry.

Though I'd also be willing to give up internet and many other things, I think they do serve a purpose in that they are a great means of communication. When people plug into their mp3 players, they block out communication, they just zone out. There are certainly times when mp3 players are nice to have, but they aren't even built in such a way as to be capable of serving a purpose.

And some of my best memories involve sharing earbuds hooked to a CD player with someone, so maybe I'm a sentimentalist Anyway when you listen to a CD you have to listen to one artist, I think there's something to be said for not flitting around listening to this song or that song, you only buy music you really want because you're stuck with 11 tracks by the same artist.

Well, I think I've written too much about it
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    which will eventually lead to the Enterprise finally being built
    There isn't a single emoticon that can express how I feel about this so I'm going to have to say:

Default The Medium is the Message

We create our technology and our technology creates us.

All technology is things so how natural that technology reifies us.

The technology of the printing press was invented in 1440 and since then we have realized the dream of universal literacy in parts of the globe.

But print is the technology of the eye and privileges the eye. And gives rise to ways of seeing such as perspective, and the literal interpretation of the Bible, and linear sequential thinking, and the rise of the individual over the collective or tribe.

However the technology of the electric telegraph was invented in about 1840 which developed into the electric radio, the electric television and the electric computer.

And the electronic media are more tactile and auditory than visual. This gives rise to ways of feeling such as my very own telegraphic prose, the enjoyment of metaphor, the abolition of time and distance, the rise of the tribe, such the MBTI tribe. And the electronic media have given us the global village and the noosphere.

So we are leaving the literate individual reading alone and moving to the electronic village where we can all hear one another at the press of a button.

Every time you post here the watchdog of your mind is put to sleep by the plethera of topics so that the electronic media itself can go quietly about changing the very way you feel the world and the way you hear the world.

Every time you post here the electronic media is performing an operation on your sensorium and the anaesthetic is the threads. So all our attention goes to the threads and the medium remains invisible. Unless you have a brave soul who keeps waving the red flag of telegraphic prose. And he says only one thing -

The medium is the message.