User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, technically, most technology comes under this. I suppose you could say anything that keeps people alive is necessary, but then I wonder what the point is in the constant growth.

There is a direct correlation between population capacity and technology. There were only about a 1.5 billion people in the world 1900, if I remember, and only a few hundred milion in biblical times. Technological developments are responsible for the increase. What's neat about this is, if for some reason the entire world had a never ending power outage right now, the population would be billions of people smaller in a few decades, mostly through disease and starvation.
    That is interesting. I've been pondering the idea for a couple of years now that partly because of all the technological advances we maybe socially de-evolving as humans. The more we become populated [or over-populated] due to these technological advances, the more we may have to revert to barbarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i will agree that changes are coming beyond what we could expect, though... i think it is exciting!
    What do the Chinese say, "May you live in interesting times"?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    The more we become populated [or over-populated] due to these technological advances, the more we may have to revert to barbarianism.
    Just yesterday, your Secretary of State, speaking in the Congo, was speaking against the wide sptead barbarism there.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Forget about mp3 players, I really really hate mp3s. They sound horrible and tinny and there is nothing worse to my ears than digital distortion.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    That's fine, you know. And I'm being more than a little neurotic about it, but it's one of those completely ridiculous marketing ploys for things that no one really needs. True, smaller packaging takes up less space. And I'm sure they could pitch that as some sort of environmentally friendly thing. But, really? Is it doing that much good? Doubtful. But they trick you, the Gain, the Tide, the (insert other brand of laundry detergent as I've just exhausted my knowledge of them). They make you think that you need this 2x concentrated detergent for some reason or another. Couldn't resources be better used for other advancements in the world?
    You know there are lots of expensive pointless gadgets but I actually like super-concentrated detergent! It's not really an 'advance' because most liquid products get diluted by the time they get to the end-customer.

The super concentrated versions popping out now are just cutting out a step or two which does save wear and tear on the environment.

I love concetrated detergent! It's so much lighter and smaller to cary around. If you have to lug detergent around on public transportation (or worse, walking around your neighborhood) you'd know what an awesome thing concentrated anything is!

Having said that, I have one of those toaster ovens that can also cook sausage/bacon and an egg at the same time. It'll make you a breakfast sandwich in less than 4 minute!

How is that useless???
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    entp

what people do is their doing, how you react is yours.

whats the point of getting all worked up over nothings...things you can do absolutely nothing about except bitch and moan and rant...the world will still go round tomorrow and the birds will still sing tomorrow whether you live or die

hence i dont really care about any of the advancements etc that you (op) refer to. i will use them as long as i am not dependent on them. live in the world without being of it

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    what people do is their doing, how you react is yours.

whats the point of getting all worked up over nothings...things you can do absolutely nothing about except bitch and moan and rant...the world will still go round tomorrow and the birds will still sing tomorrow whether you live or die

hence i dont really care about any of the advancements etc that you (op) refer to. i will use them as long as i am not dependent on them. live in the world without being of it
    Because it's better than reacting in violence from all that built up anger

Social Networking is definitely really useless. I think my life would be about the same had I or hadn't I known that "Katie is doing pretty OK" or "Joe is now a fan of Fish"

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    Because it's better than reacting in violence from all that built up anger

Social Networking is definitely really useless. I think my life would be about the same had I or hadn't I known that "Katie is doing pretty OK" or "Joe is now a fan of Fish"
    i dont see the need for anger...thats my main point
    why cant everyone just get high and do the chicken dance

social networking is a multifaceted thing...important or not, those things are amusing to some...they define some people's entire identities.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Forget about mp3 players, I really really hate mp3s. They sound horrible and tinny and there is nothing worse to my ears than digital distortion.
    Are you an audiophile? You might enjoy looking at different kinds of earphones/earbuds - they can make a huge difference and also save your hearing. I don't use the earbuds that came with my ipod.

You can even use a headphone/earphone amps if you really want to enhance the quality of sound. The amps are very convenient/portable, but it will help make your music sound better at least.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    I'm sitting on my bedroom floor, and across from me, at eye level, is a smallish purple bottle of Gain laundry detergent. It's an unobtrusive plastic bottle. I'm a fan of the color. It smells like lilacs and is a soothing sensation, the label tells me. And it is pissing me off.

It's such a small bottle. And it claims to wash 24 loads with its superly dense 2x concentrated formula.

That's fine, you know. And I'm being more than a little neurotic about it, but it's one of those completely ridiculous marketing ploys for things that no one really needs. True, smaller packaging takes up less space. And I'm sure they could pitch that as some sort of environmentally friendly thing. But, really? Is it doing that much good? Doubtful. But they trick you, the Gain, the Tide, the (insert other brand of laundry detergent as I've just exhausted my knowledge of them). They make you think that you need this 2x concentrated detergent for some reason or another. Couldn't resources be better used for other advancements in the world?

I feel the same about those damn Ritz crackers with super crazy grips so your dip doesn't fall off. If your crackers need side-rails for your eating experience you're either really drunk or really stupid. Either way, you probably don't need crackers with tasty toppings.

Is there anything that really bugs you for existing? Anything that so much effort has gone into that just totally and completely doesn't benefit the world.
    The engine. A machine from hell. A motor for destitution.