User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

To Poppy: Okay. So. I'm that person that you mentioned. The one who buys a certain product because the label is more aesthetically pleasing or the commercial was intriguing. When Hagan Daaz ice cream made those commercials that were super simplistic and showed things like snow and bees and had a nearly silent background, I switched ice cream brands. And yesterday when I was buying dishwashing liquid, I chose the apple green scent rather than the citrus (even though I like the smell of citrus much more) because the packaging was green and it would match the rest of my cleaning products that I'd bought. I am the visual buyer. Great Value's new generic packaging has caused me to forsake any sort of name brand cereal, potato chips, and toilet paper, because the simplicity of the clean white packaging is more lovely.

That being said, I won't buy things I don't need that have no real purpose. I'm not that kind of buyer. The superfluous one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To The Liquid Laser: Cameras in our cell phones are not necessary. Bluetooth in our cell phones is not necessary. Crazy ringtones and wikipedia at the tap of a symbolic iPhone button and email on the go are not necessary. But they serve a purpose. Doing business, staying organized, keeping up with all of your current obligations: a Blackberry can make that so much easier. Or just possible. Writing it all down on paper doesn't have the same convenience. I can get behind advanced and special cell phones for those who need them. But the general populous has no need for all of that. I don't. A few days ago, I pulled out my very first cell phone that didn't have a front screen and was black and white inside and rocked the polyphonic sounds and began using it. It felt simplistic and really safe. Like I was somehow stopping all of the technological craze just a little in my own world. But then I couldn't get signal anywhere, couldn't call my landlady, missed text messages about somewhere I had to be, and couldn't use the calendar. Sad realization: we need certain technologies. Dependable cell phones in a world now when we've let our selves become naked without them are one of those. It does make our lives more convenient, but rather than making other's lives busier, I think it just makes theirs convenient as well. The problems that my shoddy cell phone created just extended to the others I was trying to contact. And not having a cell phone at all would have created even more. We don't need them like we need air, but we've let ourselves become parasitic enough that we need them maybe like we need sex or exercise.

I agree wholeheartedly with the knowledge vs. wisdom advancement, and am glad you brought it up. Really your entire second paragraph was quite wonderful to read. It gave me worthwhile things to consider. Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To durentu, who I am inclined to call Gumby: I don't believe it's that easy. Consumerism is subjective, yes. But not buying a product doesn't make the ridiculous effects it can have on your life, the waste it can produce that directly affects you, go away. Your justification of any waste of space as a medium for intellectual growth seems slightly irresponsible. That could be extended to anything; as insignificant as 2x concentrated laundry detergent, as large as genocide. Ignoring something or keeping your tongue bitten won't erase the negative effects it's having on your world.

To ajblaise: "Inherent in modern consumerism is the extraordinary amount of human effort that will go into product development and marketing that serves no vital purpose to society, aside from market participation. Time and resources mostly wasted in terms of how they help civilization progress."

I can dig that. Agree with it. I think you're saying what I want to say but in a more eloquent way. Expound upon this, if you don't mind? I'd like you to share your opinions further.

the flames and smoke climbed out of every window and disappeared with everything that you held dear. but you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need 'cause you knew you were finally free.
    ben gibbard

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i firmly believe the obesity epidemic in america is due to automatic hand soap dispensers.
    Um. I have this look reserved for certain moments in life when I am completely caught off guard by something strange. You just got that look. Do tell, you lion-like person.
    the flames and smoke climbed out of every window and disappeared with everything that you held dear. but you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need 'cause you knew you were finally free.
    ben gibbard

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by chasingAJ View Post
    Purses that hold tiny dogs. In fact... lets get rid of all of the furniture, clothing and other bs for creatures that like to drink from the toilet.
    I'm gonna agree with this, it's useless.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, technically, most technology comes under this. I suppose you could say anything that keeps people alive is necessary, but then I wonder what the point is in the constant growth.

There is a direct correlation between population capacity and technology. There were only about a 1.5 billion people in the world 1900, if I remember, and only a few hundred milion in biblical times. Technological developments are responsible for the increase. What's neat about this is, if for some reason the entire world had a never ending power outage right now, the population would be billions of people smaller in a few decades, mostly through disease and starvation.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    What's neat about this is, if for some reason the entire world had a never ending power outage right now, the population would be billions of people smaller in a few decades, mostly through disease and starvation.
    That is neat

But actually that is an interesting side effect of technological advancement.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    Um. I have this look reserved for certain moments in life when I am completely caught off guard by something strange. You just got that look. Do tell, you lion-like person.

why not take this idea past unecessary advances in technology into the realm of unhealthy advances in technology...

why was tivo created? it is advertised as a way to free yourself from broadcasting schedules, but i believe what was asked is how we can watch more television since we can now fill our evening with tv from a selection spanning a larger period of time. and of course, it was never asked if more television is what we need.

technology is an answer, and now more than ever we have lots of answers, but are we asking the right questions?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post

why not take this idea past unecessary advances in technology into the realm of unhealthy advances in technology...

why was tivo created? it is advertised as a way to free yourself from broadcasting schedules, but i believe what was asked is how we can watch more television since we can now fill our evening with tv from a selection spanning a larger period of time. and of course, it was never asked if more television is what we need.

technology is an answer, and now more than ever we have lots of answers, but are we asking the right questions?
    Those are all very nice thoughts, but I'm not sure if you really make a point.
    ben gibbard

We have evolved to intuitively understand linear growth, but we have not evolved to intuitively understand exponential growth.

We can though understand exponential growth counter-intuitively through mathematics.

However in almost any field you care to look in, we are growing exponentially.

This means that at some point in the not too distant future we will reach a singularity.

No one knows what will happen at the singularity except perhaps we might think in terms of a phase change - but what that phase change will be, we don't know.

We do know though that the phase change will change us.

First we change technology then technology changes us.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

These things are what come to mind for me.

Ok yeah, I was initially talking about the segways, but now that you mention it...
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We have evolved to intuitively understand linear growth, but we have not evolved to intuitively understand exponential growth.

We can though understand exponential growth counter-intuitively through mathematics.

However in almost any field you care to look in, we are growing exponentially.

This means that at some point in the not too distant future we will reach a singularity.

No one knows what will happen at the singularity except perhaps we might think in terms of a phase change - but what that phase change will be, we don't know.

We do know though that the phase change will change us.

First we change technology then technology changes us.
    you only have to be able to think exponentially to predict something that is growing exponentially, not to understand it as it grows. i will agree that changes are coming beyond what we could expect, though... i think it is exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    Those are all very nice thoughts, but I'm not sure if you really make a point.
    i'm not sure if you are able to take something for what it is