User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    xxxx

All technology is unnecessary. If we didn't know that some technology can exist, we wouldn't miss it. I think people were a lot happier only having invented fire and living in the forests.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    Is there anything that really bugs you for existing? Anything that so much effort has gone into that just totally and completely doesn't benefit the world.
    The flip side of that is when you're trying to make money. Basically, if you sell a product or service, no matter how bad it is just as long a there's effort behind it, you will have at least one customer.

Another thing about consumption is that it's a subjective act. If you find it unnecessary, then don't buy it. In the grand scheme of things, having unnecessary things on the market is a good thing. Even if the item or service itself is bad as a sale item, it might be useful as a intellectual item. Someone trying to improve on existing things or re-purposing things for other uses. In a world that has only what's needed is perfectionary and leaves no room for flexibility for change, as change is the only constant.

Personally, thinking negatively about why people buy or sell useless items is pointless and turns into a form of entertainment for the complainer. The positive act is to look at it and provide a solution. New design, better marketing, etc. It's interesting to see what people buy from a psychological pov.

These days, there's something for everyone. If there isn't, then make what doesn't exist. There's money to be had there.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Inherent in modern consumerism is the extraordinary amount of human effort that will go into product development and marketing that serves no vital purpose to society, aside from market participation. Time and resources mostly wasted in terms of how they help civilization progress.

When a society equates personal happiness with consumption, what we get is the 11 blade Gillette Mach 5 Thunderfuck Turbo razor.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    There's just so many mindless people running amock when shopping, that it amazes me.

An employee of mine bought two pair of shoes not long ago because the second pair was half the price. And she was convinced that she saved 50%. But when I inquired her if she needed the other pair of shoes, she said no. *shrug*
    Sales 1, consumer 0

haha

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The barstool-lawnmower

a 5 in style
    a 5 in practicality
    but 0 points in usefulness, if you drive drunk

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I remember buying some bubble tape that had an automatic bubble gum dispenser on it- you push a button and gum comes out basically. I remember thinking, boy- how lazy do we have to be now that we can't tear off and reach in for our own bubble gum???

Useless technology.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by attetude
    All technology is unnecessary. If we didn't know that some technology can exist, we wouldn't miss it. I think people were a lot happier only having invented fire and living in the forests.
    I'm not so sure that this is true. It seems that technology is an extension of us; a natural progression of our evolution. As humans, we have higher brain functions that allow us to create and implement technology in order to advance the state of our species.

Like Victor says, the written word and the electronic word bind us together. It links minds and ideas from all over the world. We can begin to unite as one "tribe" of people.

Technology allows us to shape our environment to fit our needs. While this sometimes damages the Earth and is temporarily detrimental to us (pollution, etc...) we can create more technology that allows us to begin fixing these problems.

Technology allows us to understand our universe and our place in the universe better. We can manipulate where and what we want to do. I see this as overcoming the basics, as a species, of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Widespread knowledge and implementation of certain technologies allow masses of people to have shelter, to have food and to feel safe. This is starting to allow humans to collectively not have to worry about basic survival concerns.

While this may be a move from a more "natural" state, I think it is a progression (and a "natural" one) towards something significant. As a species we have begun to focus on getting to the top of that hierarchy: self-actualization. More of us have time to think about what matters to us, how do we become good people, ask what makes me, me? We can give more time to developing relationships with other, building compassion, and becoming who we were meant to become. We may start achieving species-actualization.

So while there are unnecessary branches in the evolution of technology (grip crackers, bar stool lawnmowers(!), I believe that technology is ultimately beneficial to us and totally necessary.
    9 wing 1

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    Is there anything that really bugs you for existing? Anything that so much effort has gone into that just totally and completely doesn't benefit the world.
    There WAS one thing: Michael Jackson.

MBTI
    istp

i firmly believe the obesity epidemic in america is due to automatic hand soap dispensers.