User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

While I'm sure I didn't fully grasp your point as your complexity is beyond my brainpower at this current point in time, Victor, that reminds me: The Kindle. I hate it. It's the devil. It should not exist.

I miss the simplicity of old iPods. Before there was talking Shuffles and iPod touches and the iPod was retired to being called the iPod "classic". They took a good idea, a pure and beautiful concept, and then turned it into something ridiculous, colorful, and that is meant to appeal to the masses that want to acquire music in large quantities who want music for bragging rights, not for the connection they have to it. The old unadultered iPods were great. I am skeptical of these new things.
    the flames and smoke climbed out of every window and disappeared with everything that you held dear. but you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need 'cause you knew you were finally free.
    ben gibbard

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

If by "the medium" you mean consumerism and corporate profits then I agree. The media that surrounds us and is interwoven into our thoughts/beliefs/lives is not thrown together haphazardly. It is all designed to convince us that we need to buy something and in order to buy that something we need to work harder. By agreeing with it, we are trading in our lives for corporate profits on both ends (your employer and company you buy from).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

When I'm more coherent I'm going to put a lot of thought into a reply to you!
    the flames and smoke climbed out of every window and disappeared with everything that you held dear. but you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need 'cause you knew you were finally free.
    ben gibbard

Quote Originally Posted by chasingAJ View Post
    If by "the medium" you mean consumerism and corporate profits then I agree. The media that surrounds us and is interwoven into our thoughts/beliefs/lives is not thrown together haphazardly. It is all designed to convince us that we need to buy something and in order to buy that something we need to work harder. By agreeing with it, we are trading in our lives for corporate profits on both ends (your employer and company you buy from).
    We have been here for about 200,000 years and almost all of that time our medium has been the spoken voice.

The very size of villages was determined by how far you could hear the human voice. So villages were built within shouting distance.

However in 1440 we started to change our medium of communication to print. And this has been enormously successful. Literate cultures exploded all over the world. Your country and mine where created by the explosion of literacy over the globe.

However in 1840 we started to change to the electronic media. And indeed you and I are etexting in the electronic media right now.

So in 200,000 years we have had three mediums of communication - the spoken voice, print media and the electronic media.

But what is fascinating is the similarity between the spoken voice and the electronic media. And that is why I want us to start reading aloud to one another over the internet.

I want us to start listening to one another and talking to one another - and in that way I may never have to write in telegraphic prose ever again - surely that's a bonus?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Competition results in brands going through great lengths in order to achieve some uniqueness to their product. Most of the times companies go into this road for products in order to advertise and get their name out. The actual change to the product is just useless.

But the average consumer has no brain, so it works.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I would like to know who these mythical consumers getting duped by ads are
    I've yet to meet anyone who says they buy things because the label is now orange, or because the ad had a catchy tune.

Meh, I spend money on things I don't need as much as the next person. "Consumerism" isn't a dirty word, and "consumers" are you and me.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Heh, just the other day I drove a woman, who paid for a cab to go to another town in order to buy something that is 20 euro cheaper there (cab costs were 50 euro).

So sorry but, I'm nothing like that type of consumer. :P

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I bet your wallet appreciates that you aren't that type of consumer
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

There's just so many mindless people running amock when shopping, that it amazes me.

An employee of mine bought two pair of shoes not long ago because the second pair was half the price. And she was convinced that she saved 50%. But when I inquired her if she needed the other pair of shoes, she said no. *shrug*

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Most modern techological advances are useless. Is it really "necessary" that your cell phone have a camera? No it may be more convenient, but it is not necessary. In fact the cell phone itself is not necessary. It has the illusion of making your life convenient, when it reality it makes many people's lives more busy.

Our technology has shown us that modern society has greatly increased in knowledge but not necessarily in wisdom. Things considered luxuries are getting cheaper, while things which are more essential are rising in price when looked at as a percentage of a person's income (shelter, transportation, health care, education, etc...).
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com