So I have this idea...
I want to compile a list of favorite quotes, sorted by temperament (SJ, SP, NF, NT). The results should be very interesting!
Here's how it will work: Either post one to three of your favorite quotes in this thread, OR send me a PM with them. Once I have enough, I will start to sort them into this post for everyone to see.
EDIT: A good place to get some quotes if you don't have any off the top of your head: The Quotations Page - Your Source for Famous Quotes. This site is also good for wasting numerous minutes at work!
If you're one of those people who thinks they're super clever and has "FAIL" or something as their type, let me know which temperament you belong to along with the quote(s).
If you don't have any idea what you're type is: Let me know that, and I'll start an "undecided" category. Who knows, maybe we'll see some correlation :P
Total quotes collected so far: 52
1. "I intend to live forever. So far, so good."
-- Steven Wright
2. "True friends stab you in the front."
3. "I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass."
-- Oscar Wilde
4. "By idolizing those whom we honor we do a disservice both to them and to ourselves...we fail to recognize that we could go and do likewise."
5. "We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are."
6. "Know thyself."
7. "The heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
-- Blaise Pascal
8. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and is desperate; who can know it?"
9. "One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."
-- Oscar Wilde
10. "For one human being to love another, that is perhaps the most difficult of our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation."
-- Rainer Maria Rilke
11. "A pity beyond all telling is hid in the heart of love."
-- W.B. Yeats
12. "Rain to the calf and sun to the foal; water
to the goose and alms to the beggarman."
-- Gaelic proverb
13. "Welcome here my crazy dote; my first, my last, my favourite."
-- Seamus Heaney
14. "If you're willing to sacrifice everything for your beloved, then you know the meaning of love."
1. "I hope that when I die, people say about me, 'Boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money.'"
-- Jack Handey
2. "Fuck it, life goes on."
3. "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
-- George Carlin
4. "At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want. "
-- Lao Tzu
5. "Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric."
-- Bertrand Russell
6. "I'm in a kiddie pool, high, with a keg in arms reach. If i had a sandwich and a blowjob this would be the best day ever"
7. "Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect."
8. "A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs, jolted by every pebble in the road."
9. "It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
10. "And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual. This is what I am and what I am about. I can understand why a system built on a pattern must try to destroy the free mind, for it is the one thing which can by inspection destroy such a system. Surely I can understand this, and I hate it and I will fight against it to preserve the one thing that separates us from the uncreative beasts. If the glory can be killed, we are lost."
--Steinbeck, East of Eden [NTJ specific]
11. "To be still is to be stupid. To be stupid is to die. And so we shall live. Every Betsy sitting next to you in a classroom will only know Maple Street on which sits her boxy white house, inside of which whimper her boxy white parents. After your travels, you'll know Maple Street, sure, but also wilderness and ruins, carnivals and the moon. You'll know the man sitting on the apple crate outside a gas station in Cheerless, Texas, who lost his leg in Vietnam, the woman in the tollbooth outside Dismal, Delaware, in possession of six children, a husband with black lung but no teeth. For them you will be a speck somewhere above the horizon. And thus, when you are ultimately set loose upon the world, he shrugged, I suspect you'll have no choice but to go down in history."
12. "Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."
--Machiavelli, The Prince
13. "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
14. "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
15. "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."
16. "A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker."
17. "All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else."
18. "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
19. "Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Ben Franklin
20. "Those who wait for the perfect time to do anything seldom get anything done."
-- (author unknown)
21. "I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."
-- Albert Einstein
22. "Ignorance is not innocence but sin."
23. "What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent."
--Ludwig Wittgenstein (Translated into English by C.K. Ogden)
24. "An open mind, in questions that are not ultimate, is useful. But an open mind about the ultimate foundations either of Theoretical or of Practical Reason is idiocy. If a man's mind is open on these things, let his mouth at least be shut. He can say nothing to the purpose."
1. "I am as I ever was, and ever shall be, yours, yours, yours."
-- John Adams, in a letter to his wife Abigail
2. "Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past... Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future... and common sense is knowing that you should try not to be an idiot now."
-- from the webcomic "Questionable Content"
3. "Life is like a grapefruit... It's orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle... and some people have half a one for breakfast."
-- Douglas Adams
4. "Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington
5. “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "Press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
--President Calvin Coolidge
6. "Whoever strives with all his might, we are allowed to save.
-- from Faust
7. "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
-- Mark 8:36
1. "there is no fear for the wide-awake"
-- Gautama Buddha
2. "The truth is what is, not what should be. What should be is a dirty lie."
-- Lenny Bruce
3. "You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself."
-- Rick Nelson
4. "Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, 'Aw, who cares?' And then I think, 'Hey, what's for supper?'"
-- Jack Handey
5. "Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."
-- Bruce Lee
6. "Truth has no path. Truth is living and, therefore, changing. Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception. To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person. Awareness has no frontier; it is giving of your whole being, without exclusion."
-- Bruce Lee
7. "The man who is really serious, with the urge to find out what truth is, has no style at all. He lives only in what is."
-- Bruce Lee