User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Worst day of your life?

Toss up between being told at 5 that my parents are going to get a divorced (can remember that day like it happened yesterday) or April 1st 2009 being told that my marriage is over. (not the best April's fool joke, lol)

I have never been to a funeral. When someone close to me dies, i think that will probably go up there.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

i am not going to talk about any of my worst days, but i will mention a bad day with some good in it, just to be difficult.

several years ago when i was a firefighter in Los Angeles we took a call for an apartment building on fire, it was a bad fire on several floors. we had worked it for a while and got several people out, everyone we thought, when we came to find out there were three girls still inside. i was one of the guys who went in, it was not the worst fire i've seen by a long shot, but that building was in such bad shape. i mean just falling apart, it should have been condemned. but then, i grew up in a house like that so what can i say? haha, that's LA.

anyway, my buddy Lee found two of the girls and got them out safely. i found the other girl, she was about 8 or so, she was still concious. it was real treacherous getting her out because the building was falling apart, i mean not structurally collpasing but there were a lot of little collapses inside. at one point my arm caught on fire and i wasn't able to put it out. i was able to get her out, and they put out my arm immediately, but i have never felt pain like that. i was in the hospital for a long time, i got some major skin grafts, and i was in and out of conciousness a lot at first. i was in rehabilitation forever afterwards, months and months, to build up strength and control in my arm again.
    that day ended my career as a firefighter, which was tough because i loved that job so much. i have some permanent loss of the fine motor skills in my hand and arm, i can still do a lot with it and pick things up and all that, it is just very small and fine movements that i lost. also i have some gnarly burn scars on my arm.

but the good i was talking about is obviously getting those girls out.
    we got out all 3 girls, they were fine, and still are fine. the girl i got out had pretty bad smoke inhalation, but she recovered really amazingly fast. she was visiting me in the hospital when i recovered, and we still send each other letters all the time.

Wow Kingfisher, that's a pretty incredible story. I'm sorry to hear that was your last day as a firefighter, sounds like you were a great one.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

6w7 sp/sx

Awww!! That's such a sweet story kingfisher.. made me tear up a little.