Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Default "Acting out of character"

"You're acting out of character" Ever heard that said before? That has definately been said by folks who have never been aware of MBTI. That has also been said many times by many people. That would suggest one is acting out of type in a way. If MBTI theory was mostly theory, then why do alot of folks, who never heard of MBTI, know of some kind of typology/characterology of sorts by employing the phrase "You are acting out of type character" as if they somehow know/are aware of a form of typology?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think what they are saying is, "Based on the behaviour you have displayed throughout the whole time I've known you, this seems to not fit the pattern. What's up?"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think what they are saying is, "Based on the behaviour you have displayed throughout the whole time I've known you, this seems to not fit the pattern. What's up?"
    Perhaps someone said either your statement or mine (along the lines of acting out of character which doesn't seem to fit your pattern of personality) to Jung back in the 30's. So he set out to find out what the heck is behind that due to the possibility of alot of truth behind the whole idea of a statement of that nature. And that was his motivation behind the developement of his theory all along.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INTP

So, basically, "Each individual has a characteristic way of acting" leads to "Each individual's characteristic way of acting falls under one of x number of categories"?

I don't see the connection.

MBTI
    INTP

It must mean I'm not an intp. I must there for be an intp3g. nay, an intps!

MBTI
    istp

i wonder why people think their personality belongs to them... it isn't "yours", it is a composite of everything you have chosen to integrate into your actions and behavior

these choices within the context of your existence are what make you unique, not your behavior. however, we can differentiate very distinctly from one person to the next as someone's behavior is very telling of these choices

and if our true identity is held in choice, then we can be whatever we choose to be...

that power is not recognizable unless you see that once you remove the significance of yourself to yourself, you are another person like the billions that surround you. you can become any one of the nearly infinite combinations, you must only determine why and how. but that is up to you, and the question is whether you are someone who chooses to do this.

considering that, do people "act out of character"? or is it that they have changed their minds...

No one has ever said I was acting out of character,
    since no one has really figured me out to begin with.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    No one has ever said I was acting out of character,
    since no one has really figured me out to begin with.

i used to think this way... i was even proud of it like you are

then i realized it wasnt that others couldnt figure me out, but that i hadnt figured out myself. oops.

maybe people who make a lot of slip ups are always looking down because they want to see if there is blood coming out of their shoe...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Let us not forget the ol "You're so predictable"

Imagine if someone said "You're not acting like your usual self", then not to much later, the same person or even someone else said "You're so predictable", That would be some screwballed crap

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i used to think this way... i was even proud of it like you are

then i realized it wasnt that others couldnt figure me out, but that i hadnt figured out myself. oops.

maybe people who make a lot of slip ups are always looking down because they want to see if there is blood coming out of their shoe...

Hey pal, I was joking.
    Here, let's try 10 of these and see if you still miss them.

There's not a person alive who doesn't know what I am about.
    That includes me.