User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Talking "blind" - good or bad?

I've found it interesting to be able to talk to such a variety of people on here. One of the things that changes the dynamics is that unless people choose to self-disclose or to post pictures, we have no idea what gender, age, ethnicity, religion or appearance others on here have. I have found this both a boon and a burden.

For example, body language and those other factors mentioned above play a large role in correctly interpreting other people's words. At the same time, they sometimes get in the way of us paying attention to the person saying those words. Sometimes when people lose one of their senses, other ones become more acute. Do you think that your conversational senses have become more acute by "talking blind"?

Many people, as they become more comfortable here, have chosen to post pictures in their private albums and publicly may do so as well or give their real names, their locations, their ethnic background, and so on to deepen the communication and understanding between them and those whom they are talking to.

What do you think? Does the quality of conversation and understanding of the individual decrease or increase by talking without the usual cues we usually rely on? Why?

MBTI
    INTP

Heh. I'm an INTP who (according to my psychiatrist) probably has Aspergers; I'm mostly oblivious to non-verbal indicators, anyways, so I guess I just can't tell the difference (except for the fact that my ironic dislike of typing makes my online conversations even briefer than my real-life conversations, and the slower pace improves my apparent grammer).

MBTI
    ENFP

I think it really depends on the person and how they themselves communicate. I have heard several people here say that this method of communication actually increases their ability to convey meaning and conduct a deep and meaningful conversation because by posting they have time to contemplate what they are going to say next and they can also be more open. However, several ENFPs, myself included have disclosed that they often get misinterpreted here because they rely heavily on bodylanguage and facial expresion to convey meaning and warmth. However, I suppose practise makes perfect and the person would get better as they are here longer!
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I probably come off as much more direct in some communication than I would in real life. I also find that having time to think about what I'm writing is helpful. I love it here that you can edit posts!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

I like the interwebs because people don't judge me cuz I'm fat.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ you're not fat!

But aside from that, your point is expressed nonetheless.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I've found it interesting to be able to talk to such a variety of people on here. One of the things that changes the dynamics is that unless people choose to self-disclose or to post pictures, we have no idea what gender, age, ethnicity, religion or appearance others on here have. I have found this both a boon and a burden.

For example, body language and those other factors mentioned above play a large role in correctly interpreting other people's words. At the same time, they sometimes get in the way of us paying attention to the person saying those words. Sometimes when people lose one of their senses, other ones become more acute. Do you think that your conversational senses have become more acute by "talking blind"?

Many people, as they become more comfortable here, have chosen to post pictures in their private albums and publicly may do so as well or give their real names, their locations, their ethnic background, and so on to deepen the communication and understanding between them and those whom they are talking to.

What do you think? Does the quality of conversation and understanding of the individual decrease or increase by talking without the usual cues we usually rely on? Why?
    I think in most cases it is either a phenomena of neutral impact or maybe even a little positive.

I have said time and again in my professional life that decisions of HIRING and PROCUREMENT of goods/services should AT LEAST in part be anonymized. I am sick of seeing nepotistic/favoritist/clique based decisions be made according to who went to grade school with whom, or who goes to what church, or who contributed to the current regime's campaign.

The only negative is what our fellow meber Jaguar, has described as "electronic confidence." Some people get much more rude online than they EVER would in person. That can be bad. By default and by my own choice I am a gentleman, but I am equally rude online/in person and follow the same guidelines as to when I must exhibit such behavior to others as needed.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    I like the interwebs because people don't judge me cuz I'm fat.
    *judges*
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    *judges*
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INTj

I still love you, man. But that's just what I do.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight