User Tag List

First 345

Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. #41
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Maybe .. Just maybe, they know what they are talking about, having a few more years life experience than yourself.
    honestly i'm getting a little tired of hearing this when i repeatedly trump the experienced subject.
    there's more to everything than experience.

    And those chumps you speak of, you can have your smart ass attitude, but it will be those chumps who will be bailing you out right at that moment when you forgot to stay one step ahead.
    i certainly hope not.
    maybe it's dumb of me, but i'd rather take care of my own problems.

    i don't like owing favors for one, and i like to think i have enough competence to get myself out of whatever i get into.
    on the other hand, i did mention that i'm pretty good at avoiding the trouble i cause didn't i?
    i really don't run into [m]any problems.

    the real point about being one step ahead:
    the thread's main idea is about the fantasy of one having the wealth of knowledge acquired over 15 years prior to actually experiencing those years, and imagining how much more comfortable life would be had they been able to predict and prepare for the troubles they knew they were bound to.

    i try to remain comfortable as well and really haven't come across anything [except childhood...] that i couldn't take care of myself.
    yeah, i'll grant that i did have a number of freebies, but it's not as though life would be unmanageable if i didn't get those handouts.

    instead i just used them to propel myself even deeper into the abstraction we call life, and with those advantages [and whatever ones lucky sends my way] i plan on continuing the same progression.

    but i certainly am not going to go against my natural habits hoping to receive a few more gifts.
    especially not, seeing that whatever goodies i am given anymore aren't what i want, but what the sender thinks i ought to have.

    it's called selfishness.
    it ain't hip, but goddamnit, it works.
    come to think of it, that's the deal with capitalism isn't it?

    edit:
    i forgot to tie it off -
    the point is, both my ideal and halla's accomplish the same goal.
    one happens in real time and the other is retrospective.
    we fukin won boys

  2. #42
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    honestly i'm getting a little tired of hearing this when i repeatedly trump the experienced subject.
    there's more to everything than experience.
    It is annoying, but it's also a mistake to automatically dismiss all advice of this nature on the basis that you can't yet see why it's useful.

    "When I was fourteen, my father was so stupid I couldn't stand to have him around. When I was twenty-one I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
    --Mark Twain
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  3. #43
    Senior Member SciVo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    924
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Wait, I think I forgot to answer this one.

    Past self! <reaches back in time to smack back of own head> Wake up! All of your love of knowledge will serve you naught if you know not how to turn it to the service of humanity, and turn a tidy profit in the doing. Study emotional intelligence on your own time so that you can better connect with people, and study business formally so that you can get the jobs where you can do the most good. That's all; not that it's all you need to know, but that if you do that, then you'll be able to figure out the rest yourself.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

  4. #44
    ThatGirl
    Guest

    Default

    That the closer you get to traveling the speed of light the more things around you appear to slow down.

    That you do not need to get married and have a family in order to prove to everyone you could do it.

    That eventually, everything I did would make sense.

    That I am not always to blame when there is a miscommunication.

    And finally, that ANYONE is capable of success, no matter how much people tell you its just not for you.

    That the only person you need to listen to is yourself, because at the end of the day, no one else is there. It is just you, dealing with the decisions you made. If you allow others to dictate your actions it is still just you, dealing with the choices you made.

    No one else cares about your life with the importance it should have, they make selfish decisions based on what is best for them, and force it down your throat under the viel of common sense. Only you can chose what is best, and doing so does not mean you are going to hell.

  5. #45
    Senior Member SciVo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    924
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    No one else cares about your life with the importance it should have, they make selfish decisions based on what is best for them, and force it down your throat under the viel of common sense. Only you can chose what is best, and doing so does not mean you are going to hell.
    Oh yeah! This is super-important: saying that so-and-so should do thus-and-such is just another way of saying that someone wants so-and-so to do thus-and-such. Whenever you think or hear "you should," think long and hard about exactly who is doing the wanting; if it isn't you, then eff it.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

  6. #46
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SciVo View Post
    Wait, I think I forgot to answer this one.

    Past self! <reaches back in time to smack back of own head> Wake up! All of your love of knowledge will serve you naught if you know not how to turn it to the service of humanity, and turn a tidy profit in the doing. Study emotional intelligence on your own time so that you can better connect with people, and study business formally so that you can get the jobs where you can do the most good. That's all; not that it's all you need to know, but that if you do that, then you'll be able to figure out the rest yourself.
    AWESOME contribution! I myself wish I would've figured out what you wrote above in my earlier years. That is good wisdom to share.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    That the closer you get to traveling the speed of light the more things around you appear to slow down.

    That you do not need to get married and have a family in order to prove to everyone you could do it.

    That eventually, everything I did would make sense.

    That I am not always to blame when there is a miscommunication.

    And finally, that ANYONE is capable of success, no matter how much people tell you its just not for you.

    That the only person you need to listen to is yourself, because at the end of the day, no one else is there. It is just you, dealing with the decisions you made. If you allow others to dictate your actions it is still just you, dealing with the choices you made.

    No one else cares about your life with the importance it should have, they make selfish decisions based on what is best for them, and force it down your throat under the viel of common sense. Only you can chose what is best, and doing so does not mean you are going to hell.
    I love ENTP bullet point advice. TG, you are a smart one with lots of guts. If only all could be so self confident, the world would be free of much needless anxiety!

  7. #47

    Default

    It's easy to forget. You need to set it up so you can remember where you've been, what you've done. Otherwise you'll get the funny feeling you're always on square one.

    Do what needs to be done. You'll feel like shit if you don't.

    It's more than likely that you'll still be around ten years from now. You can achieve a lot in ten years. Like Peter Drucker said, people overestimate what they can learn in a year and underestimate what they can learn in five.

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] What Do You wish People Understood about your Type That frustrates you?
    By ChocTiramisu in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2017, 05:22 PM
  2. Replies: 90
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 10:01 PM
  3. [NT] NT: what do you wish your parents had known about you?
    By MonkeyGrass in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 12:15 PM
  4. [INFJ] infjs, what do you think of this? - from an entp
    By velocity in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
  5. What excites you? What do you wish people would talk about with you?
    By ladypinkington in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO