User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default Skipping lecture...

I hardly ever go to lecture. If there aren't any quizzes or tests, and attendance isn't counted, then I don't see a point. I read the book and usually do fairly well on my tests. If a professor tests largely on what they lecture then I make sure to get lecture notes and their study guide. And yet everyone tries to make me feel guilty for not showing up to a lecture that I will probably just daydream through.

I have a photographic memory and good retention so I'm not too worried about how well I am learning the material but somehow I feel I should feel guilty. I'm paying for it, so it is my choice of whether or not I show up, and irking the professor aside, I can't see anything negative about my way of learning. But it still nags on me when I miss. Is skipping a lecture really that bad?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

When I was in college, I would skip a class a day. I would work it out so that I would not miss the same classes all the time, but I was so bad...

Later, I regretted it simply because I might have gained something from the lectures even if overall I did not need to be there. I felt like I did not make the best use of my education and the money I spent on it.

I probably regret more not building closer relationships with my teachers and advisors and really taking advantage of that connection to help steer me in a productive direction career-wise as well as discover new opportunities for learning and using my skills.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I go to lectures simply because the professor always adds something interesting that either the book or the notes don't say. Also, I find it easier to retain auditory information. Last but not least, to have interesting discussions on the subject matter with my course peers. Not to mention with the professors themselves, that sometimes are very erudite and interesting conversationalists.

MBTI
    INTJ

No, I skip at least one or two a week. In my experience, the only classes that give an attendance grade are the ones that you don't really ever need to show up for. I have one class this semester where we have to sign in everyday. The professor said that it isn't a big deal to him but he has to turn in the list to the Dean. So of course, my question was, "What the hell is he going to do if I don't show up? Give me detention?" After all, I'm paying for it...it's my choice if I want to go or not.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    WOLF

We have a very different system where I live, but I can't see how it could be bad to structure your time in the best possible way for you. For some lectures I won't show up if I know it'll be a total waste of my time. There's no point in studying for anyone other than yourself, so disregard what your fellow students might feel about the mattter. It's not as if you are inhibiting their learning capabilities by not being there.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I tend to go unless th lectures are very boring and don't provide any information I could otherwise learn from reading. Sometimes I also skip[ if I have a lot of homework. Most lectures I end up going to anyway, just because I don't want to start getting lazy about other stuff, and because seeing information several times in slightly different ways is better than just seeing it once.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

My parents and I paid and borrowed for the lectures -- like hell was I going to let the money go to waste. I skipped a single class in four years, and only then because I needed a little more time on another assignment. Every attendance brought me a new experience or datum, however trivial.

MBTI
    yupp

I go to the lectures, mostly because I learn more then reading. I barely read for class, because unless I know what I'm reading for I won't remember any of it. So I love study guides as I know what I'm looking for and learn more that way. I might skip a lecture in a few weeks to go to Kansas City over that weekend, but I need to find out what I'm missing, before I decide.

Socionics
    SLI

I use my lectures for sleeping if in the morning and doing my theories if in the afternoon. I only listen before the exams. Here the lectures are, officially, mandatory. In reality you don't have to attend a single lecture.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I tended to pick classes that had 15-25 students and a heavy emphasis on class discussion. It would have defeated the purpose for me to skip many of those. But I did skip here and there for the large lecture courses when I could get the notes from someone else. I didn't do that much, though, because I'm an auditory learner and it "sticks" better if I hear it and read it, than if I only read it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii