User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Spelling and Grammatical Errors

I don't know if this is related to type, but frequent, consistent spelling errors and misuse of grammar really bothers me.

I understand the texting and email shortcuts, but when it occurs in a more professional or formal environment, it drives me nuts. And the closer you are to me in terms of relationships, the nuttier it makes me feel!

How do others view it?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I think it's pretty natural for an ISTJ or an SJ to feel kind of annoyed when it comes to matters like this. They want things to be proper and complete.
    Personally I don't write like that but I don't really mind other people writing like that to me as long as I understand it and if it's in a more formal environment it just gives me a cheap laugh.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I think it's pretty natural for an ISTJ or an SJ to feel kind of annoyed when it comes to matters like this. They want things to be proper and complete.
    Personally I don't write like that but I don't really mind other people writing like that to me as long as I understand it and if it's in a more formal environment it just gives me a cheap laugh.
    Oh yeah, I'm Mr Nitpicky. ::steam:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It drives me crazy, too! I'm known as the local grammar Nazi around here.

Some people actually do it on purpose, and think that it's a way of expressing humility and creativity. Can you believe that? They actually think spelling and punctuating correctly is arrogant.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    It drives me crazy, too! I'm known as the local grammar Nazi around here.

Some people actually do it on purpose, and think that it's a way of expressing humility and creativity. Can you believe that? They actually think spelling and punctuating correctly is arrogant.

I didn't know that, but it sounds ridiculous.

MBTI
    INFJ

It bothers me too, especially in professionals, such as librarians and teachers who should know and promote correct English usage.

But there are others with learning disabilities and other differences who can't seem to help it. That's why we have spellcheck. Grammar is another matter, which is why we get your for you're, it's for its, etc.

I have a good friend who can't spell worth a darn, but nearly every email from him is perfect. He cares about the impression he makes, so he checks his messages carefully before they go out.

I don't know if it's related to type, but I suspect Js are more careful with the mechanics of language. On the other hand, my INTP son is an intuitive speller, by which I mean he never spells anything wrong.

My suggestion - hang out with English majors. :-)

Just noticed you got four replies (including this one) and we're all Js.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    It bothers me too, especially in professionals, such as librarians and teachers who should know and promote correct English usage.

But there are others with learning disabilities and other differences who can't seem to help it. That's why we have spellcheck. Grammar is another matter, which is why we get your for you're, it's for its, etc.

I have a good friend who can't spell worth a darn, but nearly every email from him is perfect. He cares about the impression he makes, so he checks his messages carefully before they go out.

I don't know if it's related to type, but I suspect Js are more careful with the mechanics of language. On the other hand, my INTP son is an intuitive speller, by which I mean he never spells anything wrong.

My suggestion - hang out with English majors. :-)

Just noticed you got four replies (including this one) and we're all Js.
    You might be right about the J aspect. My girl is a P and she hates when I point out her use of apostrophes where there should be none.

MBTI
    ESFJ

You know by my posts i make many spelling and grammatical errors.

Do i give a shit. No.

Do you? Get a life.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Oh yeah, I'm Mr. Nitpicky. ::steam:
    Fixed that for you. It was really bothering me.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

i agre speling. and gramr erors is infrting, i'ts liek du they evn care it shos a complet lak off kare n maks me wanna nto tri n red there post cuz its tu difcult n lss likly tu hav eny gud contint;
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin