First 5678 Last

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I can read that text but I also noted how the grammar and punctuation were precise, even though the spelling wasn't. It made it easier to read. If the words were not in a way that made grammatical sense, I wouldn't have been able to read it so easily.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    It depends. Here or on other forums, I can overlook it for the most part, especially when English isn't a posters' first language. In a professional setting, it's really hard to take the person as seriously as they should be taken. If I can understand what the person is saying and can decipher their writing the majority of the time, fine.
    This. I do sometimes write more informally in forum posts (I tend to write 'kinda' instead of 'kind of' for example, because it's more similar to how I actually speak and I kinda feel like my posts are me speaking rather than formal writing). Text speak on forums or in emails bugs the hell out of me though but I see that as being lazy and something easily avoided. I also find it really hard to read because I don't spell words out in my head so the implicit phonetics tends to bypass my reading brain.

Poor grammar is probably more annoying for me than poor spelling. That said, if I'm really tired, my writing deteriorates, both with grammar and spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I agree deeply about the paragraphs. It's hard for me to look at a huge block of text and I normally just skip over it. Sad, but true.
    Likewise. I will break up my own paragraphs somewhat arbitrarily at times just to avoid this.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

I try not to be judgmental about it, but it does bother me.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I don't know if this is related to type, but frequent, consistent spelling errors and misuse of grammar really bothers me.
    Isn't this sentence grammatically incorrect?

If "errors" and "misuse" are the subject, wouldn't it be "bother" referring to a plural?

I don't care if people make spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. As long as you're not being a prick you're all good with me.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I agree deeply about the paragraphs. It's hard for me to look at a huge block of text and I normally just skip over it. Sad, but true.
    Yes. My sister sometimes sends me very long letters, all in one paragraph. Usually I hit reply, then re-format her text into smaller blocks for reading.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I was just thinking of a melodramatic scene concerning spelling nitpickers- the kind where you have only misspelled one or two words out of 1000 and they flip out- the scene is totally stolen from a Kids in the Hall sketch.

I may not know how to spell on here- points to paper, but you people, you don't know how to spell in here-points to heart. LOL

Or what if you said- I don't know how to spell these words- but at least my heart knows how to spell out LOVE,lol.

Also what about Yoda- not the best grammar but wisest character ever,lol. Wouldn't it have been awful if Luke Skywalker didn't listen to anything he said because it wasn't spoken with perfect grammar??? Hmmmm???

Yea Yoda!!!!!!!!

LOLOLOLOL
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    \

Also what about Yoda- not the best grammar but wisest character ever,lol. Wouldn't it have been awful if Luke Skywalker didn't listen to anything he said because it wasn't spoken with perfect grammar??? Hmmmm???

Yea Yoda!!!!!!!!

LOLOLOLOL
    Yoda wasn't a native speaker, so he gets a pass.

MBTI
    INFP

Spelling and grammar errors don't bother me much on an internet forum, though they would in a more professional source (news article etc). I hate them in my own posts though, especially when I know a sentence is clumsily constructed but can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I'm not sure if that constitutes an error of grammar, but I suspect it usually does. I didn't receive a formal education in grammar at high-school, to my regret. By that stage it was assumed we would already know what went where and why.

The only times I point out spelling or grammar errors to posters are when the culprit is INTX (just to tease them) or if I think the poster would be genuinely grateful to know (not often). I don't see it as a big deal.

How many posters in this thread reread their post an unusual number of times to make sure it was clear of typos?

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    ... I hate them in my own posts though, especially when I know a sentence is clumsily constructed but can't seem to figure out how to fix it....
    That reminds me, I noticed a typo in one of your posts a while back. I forget which one now.