User Tag List

First 45678 Last

"There are more important things" isn't really an argument. No matter what value you are debating, there are always more important things. Value isn't an all-or-nothing thing. Just because something isn't the most important thing doesn't mean it has no value at all. No, it's not a crime to misspell or to define things the way you wish. No, it's not a moral failing. But the fact remains that if you want to be understood when you write, using the language properly is the best way. Assuming of course that being understood, not amusing yourself, is your primary goal in communication.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I agree totally.

And to the general public arguing, I think that if you really do understand what somebody is saying, and you still bother to nitpick at grammatical issues, than you probably have a little too much time on your hands and really care too much about these tiny little problems. Taking time to post your corrections and complaints is useless and a waste of time and makes you look like a pretentious jerk.
    Right on! I feel the same way.

Also, if a person can't intuit- they can ask questions and try restating what they think they have heard. People can come to wrong conclusions and misunderstand even if everything is presented perfectly. There is a back and forth process that people can do to make sure they understand each other- the listener or reader can help the speaker or writer help them understand as well. What I was joking about was really the, in my opinion, nitpicking that OneWithSoul is describing.

I think this is also a matter of organizing thoughts in your head- I think out loud- I also tend to think in an abstract fashion- I tend to write the thoughts that come into my head and "write out loud" in the same manner I guess you could say-so things don't come out polished and you have to join me in the journey of what I am trying to say- which usually doesn't become clear even to me until a little later,lol. Grammar- spelling- sentence structure- I think they suffer as a result- but if you can understand where I am going and what the general point I am trying to make and I with you, then that to me is most important. Everything else is just presentation and excellence seeking- which isn't bad- it just isn't a priority to me. Content matters most to me.
    Even silly content,lol.

You could misspell every word- but if you have an insightful or interesting thing to say and or an original meaningful pov then that is worth way more to me then a perfectly and most polished written or spoken pile of crap,lol.

Also- bravo to those who actually pay attention to the LOL and note that an attempt for humor is being exercised.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm a grammar nazi.

I'm also an INTP, so I strive for utmost clarity. It's like OCD. If you say good instead of well, and I'm paying attention, chances are, I WILL correct you. It has nothing to do with trying to be pretentious, or having too much time on my hands (which is kind of irrelevant anyway.) It's a personal pet peeve and I will make judgments on your intelligence level based on the way you type. The forum has a built-in spell-checker, just look up once in a while. Certain grammar points I can forgive (lie vs. lay - I know the difference!) but a lot of things just irk me about misspellings or typos.

I also type how I'm thinking in my head, but I have the luxury of being quick enough to correct myself mid-thought and change my diction to meet what I generally want. Articulating my thoughts into coherent sentences is another matter altogether...

*note if you're a terribly slow typist and I know this, I can forgive a certain extent of typos and things of that nature, but it will still bother me to no end. After you can type without looking, all it takes is being able to hit two extra keys to avoid me thinking ur a dumbass. Guess which ones?

EDIT: There is also an edit button for those of us who are prone to leap without looking.

Double-edit: As long as you use caps lock and end sentences with periods or their proper punctuation marks, I won't care too much.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

My own (or other people's) spelling mistakes don't really bother as long as I'm understood and I understand what the other person is trying to say. But it bothers me when my spelling mistakes bother other people.

just like your post costrin...

it doesn't matter to me if you made it in the shorter way..what is really important is the content and how you understand the words..

but in my own situation...i only used that shorter way when i am sending tXt message to my friends..

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post

Cool demo. I can read this way, too.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

^ Me too, except for few words that arent' familiar to me in English language.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I agree totally.

And to the general public arguing, I think that if you really do understand what somebody is saying, and you still bother to nitpick at grammatical issues, than you probably have a little too much time on your hands and really care too much about these tiny little problems. Taking time to post your corrections and complaints is useless and a waste of time and makes you look like a pretentious jerk.
    No one likes a pedant. The problem I frequently encounter is that I don't understand what's written and frankly, yes, I do have better things to do with my time than read through the trash again to try to understand it, never mind going though it and actually correcting it for someone (even if I thought they might learn something from the exercise).

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

it's not that big of a deal in a casual situation, it bugs me when people become too obsessed over these minute details in a setting that doesn't require it. It bothers me if they arn't capable of forming coherent sentences as well. Either way if you are too much of nitpick or too much of an idiot I probably won't think too highly of it.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Einstein couldn't spell well, and his native language was phonetic.

There are more important thigs, like content.
    Einstein displayed some traits of dyslexia. From the Dyslexia Research Institute: "The University of North Carolina published a paper about 20 years ago that showed evidence that Einstein had certain traits, such as strephosymbolia, which is indicative of dyslexia."

Einstein was the exception, not the rule. Most academics are very rigorous in the way they write. If you've ever had an academic paper published, then you'll have an idea of how rigorous the process is.

If you have something interesting or insightful to say, why not go to the trouble of writing it in such a way that it can be understood easily by most people?