half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    What I really hate is when people ignore capital letters and punctuation marks. To me, they are the most important things when it comes to readability of a text. I can do with missing articles and deformated words, but lack of capitals and punctuation marks really makes the text real messy.

And paragraphs people! That's the second most important thing! Any paragraph with more than 6 lines or so is a total chaos. It will wear down the reader, it will add way too much weight on the text and it becomes so hard to comprehend.

Did I already mention my dislike of numbers used as letters/words? U2 M8! That's dreadful.
    I sometimes forget to capitalize "I", especially when I have just typed something in German because they don't capitalize the equivalent "ich". Furthermore, they capitalize every single noun, where we only capitalize proper nouns. It can be confusing switching back and forth, and I sympathize with non-native speakers.

I agree deeply about the paragraphs. It's hard for me to look at a huge block of text and I normally just skip over it. Sad, but true.

MBTI
    INTJ

If you have ever had to read as many poorly written reports as myself, you would begin to appreciate good grammar and spelling. The problem is that it makes the semantics of the work completely incoherent. It takes far longer to read than it ought and sometimes I just give up.

It is a courtesy to the reader to ensure that what you have written is clear and correct. A poorly written piece tells me that the person writing it is either lazy, inconsiderate or semi-illiterate.

The exception to this is text messaging which has its own rules for spelling and grammar, online chat where there is not enough time to check what has been written and of course people for whom English is their second language.

MBTI
    intp

Misspellings/grammatical errors don't bug me unless they are made constantly and of the stupidest variety (your/you're; definate; rather/whether). This is especially the case when it's from someone who should know better . . . And everyone should know better on the types of errors I mean. Then it almost pains me to read anything from the person. I start ignoring. It's kind of unreasonable, but it really is irritating. This doesn't apply to text and instant message.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INxJ

It's more important to me that people come across in a clear and direct manner. Be efficient. That's all I care about.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I'm horrid in my informal communication about run on paragraphs. However, I'm making efforts to get better.

I don't think that this issue is just a J/P difference. Good spelling even made Synarch's list of what he looks for or is attracted to in a woman.

I know for me it is about context. I do not care to make a big deal out of spelling or grammar in practical circumstances. However, it might indicate to me the writer's age, education or experience with English.

On the other hand, if it were my significant other who was a bad speller or poor writer, I would have a harder time not thinking less of him for it.

I hate professional settings where work is displayed with incorrect spellings (such as at a school), or letters go out with mistakes in them. I am a chronic re-editor of my posts because sometimes in a hurry I don't proofread well enough. It also bugs me when people misuse words or use incorrect words according to their similar sounds ("would of" instead of "would have", etc.

It is truly worrisome to me to see a whole generation of kids at school (and among my nieces and nephews) who are unable to communicate through writing in their primary (or only) language. There are misspellings, no capitalization, no punctuation and so on.

I know that my sense of spelling, grammar and punctuation has mostly been developed by reading. This makes a word look unfamiliar if it is misspelled. Many kids now do not get in the hours of reading that would serve this purpose and also use a lot more IM/texting that doesn't use standard spelling. Mechanics are writing are less emphasized in schools in favour of technology, and drill of any sort is discouraged (at least in the three provinces where I have taught). I have noticed a decline already in my comparatively short teaching career of attention span length, which also makes it harder to teach these skills to kids.

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I find the dictionary oppressive. I mean really- I didn't get to vote on how things were spelled- they're not the boss of me and I can make up my own words or definitions to words,lol.

Mispelling and grammar errors don't bother me. Perhaps because I myself am a very "you have to go by the spirit of what I am saying and not the letter" type person.

Perhaps it is the intense F-ness, as long as I can feel out the meaning and idea I don't care about the presentation so much.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

But how do others know what you mean? Should they also just intuit?

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    But how do others know what you mean? Should they also just intuit?
    yes, yes they should.

LOL

Hubby makes a good translator for me. I spit out some verbage and then hit him on the leg or arm and he restates so that the humans can understand,lol.

Everyone should have their very own Tuned Into You ENTP. Now in travel size,lol.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    I find the dictionary oppressive. I mean really- I didn't get to vote on how things were spelled- they're not the boss of me and I can make up my own words or definitions to words,lol.

Mispelling and grammar errors don't bother me. Perhaps because I myself am a very "you have to go by the spirit of what I am saying and not the letter" type person.

Perhaps it is the intense F-ness, as long as I can feel out the meaning and idea I don't care about the presentation so much.
    I guess this is a purely individual thing. It amazes me that we're the same type.

It amazes me even more that a P cares about precision in language, but there you go. I guess that INTP was all wet when he decried it as "conventional cant" and said only Js would care about it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    yes, yes they should.

LOL

Hubby makes a good translator for me. I spit out some verbage and then hit him on the leg or arm and he restates so that the humans can understand,lol.

Everyone should have their very own Tuned Into You ENTP. Now in travel size,lol.
    But what about the most of us who cannot intuit and do not have this translator? Dictionaries are what can ultimately show all of us what something means so that we can all communicate. Without a shared knowledge of what something means, there is no communication.