User Tag List

First 1234 Last

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Introverted functions will always care less about outside influence than extraverted functions, so yeah, not arguing that it wouldn't make a difference. I'm just *guessing* instinct variant would make a somewhat bigger difference.

[edit:] I've wondered before why sp, sx and so variants never have the kind of battles that Fe and Fi have. I see an exciting opportunity here for folks to split into three factions and start proclaiming their superiority over the other two.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Default a worrying mother is not a caring mother

when you worry about what others think about you, you are concerned about how you feel.

but when you care about what someone says, you are concerned about how the other person feels.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

When I was younger, worrying what other people thought about me, was like a constant burden on my shoulders. At some point I stopped caring, and the worries went away with it.

But as for the topic. I think the difference lies in this (At least for me):

Caring what other people think about you, is wanting to gain acceptance for your viewpoints.
    Worrying what other people think about you, is not being sure if your viewpoints are right or correct, and you are afraid of being shunned for exposing your viewpoints.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    This is interesting. It touches on the difference between Fe and Fi and other cognitive functions.

Perhaps the degree of caring and how it's processed affects how the individual handles the situation. Some Fi users will only care about their inner circle. Others will be more inclined to battle to the death over external perception of self. But Fe users in general, appear to care more since they use external input as a self barometer.
    I agree that Fe users appear to care more what others think. I've also noticed some Fi users who don't seem to care or worry much about what others think at all. They have a sense of sureness about their internal value system and what others may think of it isn't going to affect them at all. I've gotta be me! seems to be their motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I'd guess instinct variant would have a bigger influence on this than Fe/Fi.
    I think its a combination of instinct and Fe/Fi.

Here's my guesses for how instinct would play out:

SP: Is more concerned about what they think than what others think. Of the three variants this one is probably the least concerned about it.

SO: Is the most concerned what others think. May want everyone to think well of them, even people they hardly know. The variant whose self image is most influenced by what others think of them.

SX: Can be very concerned about what their intimates and close friends think of them. Aren't as concerned about SO variant about how society at large thinks of them. I think though that this is the variant that is most neurotic about what others close to them and those they deeply care about think of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lien View Post
    when you worry about what others think about you, you are concerned about how you feel.

but when you care about what someone says, you are concerned about how the other person feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    When I was younger, worrying what other people thought about me, was like a constant burden on my shoulders. At some point I stopped caring, and the worries went away with it.

But as for the topic. I think the difference lies in this (At least for me):

Caring what other people think about you, is wanting to gain acceptance for your viewpoints.
    Worrying what other people think about you, is not being sure if your viewpoints are right or correct, and you are afraid of being shunned for exposing your viewpoints.
    Well stated Lien and Fluffywolf.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I agree that Fe users appear to care more what others think. I've also noticed some Fi users who don't seem to care or worry much about what others think at all. They have a sense of sureness about their internal value system and what others may think of it isn't going to affect them at all. I've gotta be me! seems to be their motto.
    Yup. You can also divide these Fi users into aware and unaware. Some have no idea how they come across and others just don't care.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    ... But Fe users in general, appear to care more since they use external input as a self barometer.
    Meh, I have my tasty share of Fe but including myself in that picture isn't necessary for me, it's more about group harmony then actually caring what people think of me. What I watch is how I phrase things as I don't want to upset the harmony if I can avoid it, I don't think people in my life mistake that for caring about what they think of me.

[edit:] I've wondered before why sp, sx and so variants never have the kind of battles that Fe and Fi have. I see an exciting opportunity here for folks to split into three factions and start proclaiming their superiority over the other two.
    Prolly plays a considerable role in things like this. Of course all that would happen is the sx doms would cut open the sp doms to wear their skin as a coat while the so types cheered them on. Bastards! :steam:

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Here's my guesses for how instinct would play out:

SP: Is more concerned about what they think than what others think. Of the three variants this one is probably the least concerned about it.

SO: Is the most concerned what others think. May want everyone to think well of them, even people they hardly know. The variant whose self image is most influenced by what others think of them.

SX: Can be very concerned about what their intimates and close friends think of them. Aren't as concerned about SO variant about how society at large thinks of them. I think though that this is the variant that is most neurotic about what others close to them and those they deeply care about think of them.
    Yeah, that's sorta what I was thinking too. Although I'm not sure the so doms would necessarily be the most concerned- so much as their concern would be spread thinner over a wider percentage of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Prolly plays a considerable role in things like this. Of course all that would happen is the sx doms would cut open the sp doms to wear their skin as a coat while the so types cheered them on. Bastards! :steam:
    And sps are the awesomiest, is your point, right? Also, I'm hoping we at least get to choose which sx dom gets our skin-coat.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

And sps are the awesomiest, is your point, right? Also, I'm hoping we at least get to choose which sx dom gets our skin-coat.
    But of course! I already know who can don my pelt bastards! :steam:

MBTI
    infp

I think caring about what other people think is only important as far as checking yourself goes -if everyone you know thinks you're an asshole, you probably are one. Other than that there is no real point in paying mind to what other people say. People have all kinds of opinions that are all informed by their preconceptions, values, attitudes, ect. There is a lot more that goes in to someone's vie of you than what kind of person you are; the most important factor in what they think is who they are, and ultimately what they say will be a reflection of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Meh, I have my tasty share of Fe but including myself in that picture isn't necessary for me, it's more about group harmony then actually caring what people think of me. What I watch is how I phrase things as I don't want to upset the harmony if I can avoid it, I don't think people in my life mistake that for caring about what they think of me.
    You've gone through a lot more introspection than most people. In doing so, you've learned that external opinion isn't as significant as internal alignment.