User Tag List

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default Practicing Public Speaking

As a heavily disturbed individual with all psychological illnesses a human being can possibly have, I have a hard time to speak to foreign people.

If I got warm with the person, meaning I know em, I am most of the time in the right mindset and I speak fluently and very eloquent without any issues at all.

But if I dont know the person at all, I sometimes even got a hard time, if he has a highly personalized speech, to understand what he is saying at all. This isnt resulting from a lack of concentration but moreso that I need some time to filter his sentence in my mind from blooming elements he used to underline several key elements of the sentence, so to strip it apart and get the factual words he meant.

That results into the huge problem that I sometimes misunderstand people, if the discussion is fast-paced and answer incorrectly. Or even worse that I need some time to think about what the other one said, cause its from a field of intrest, I was never intrested in and have to get into theoretically and mindfully first.

I know most people use standard phrases in fast-paced discussions with foreigners, making the whole conversation somewhat inaccurate and them to be at cross purposes. And I want to learn that too.

Is there a way to practice public speaking you can do online ? I know the best way is to learn by observation in real life and I am doing it, just wanted to ask if maybe someone has got some nice ressources.

Good public speaking would be a nice asset to in presentations or lectures you give, but I am fairly good at those already. But I would like ressources concerning that topic too, cause maybe they have some good information about public speaking with people too.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

If you look online, you might be able to find someone who's interested in learning German in exchange for helping you with English, and you could talk to them via chat or skype or something. It also seems like the voice chat on this site would be useful for getting experience with conversations with native English speakers (um, I don't actually know though, I've never been on it ).
    Sorry I don't have any specific resources to give you...I don't know very much about becoming fluent in a second language and google hasn't turned up anything very promising. Best of luck
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Thanks for your post, but actually I wasnt talking about the english language . I meant public speaking in general, disconnected from any language.

But thanks nevertheless for your help; I think I need to take some time to phrase my problem properly before I can talk with someone about it
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Oops entropie... I meant to reply to this thread yesterday but then I've forgotten because of the statistics junks.

It sounds like to be the problem in communication is in translation. I don't just meant language, but translating thoughts you have in your mind into something that's logical and understandable by the other person. I take it you must do the same in reverse... converting their words into pictures (or logic) that is understandable by you.

If I may hazard a guess, most of the problems you have concern with understanding emotions from Feelers? (unless I misunderstood what you meant by the word "personalized"... obviously "personalized" probably isn't just limited to the subset of Fs... I made a leap there.)

In terms of ways of practicing this... online or offline, all you can do is to try talking with people. Find a topic that is interesting to both parties and see if you can understand and be understood. One on one might be easier at the beginning.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca