User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Quote Originally Posted by syckkz View Post
    ^Believe it or not there is a lot of racism still going on.. and plenty of it where I am.. has been towards me.

To me, my race is what makes me who I am because I have pride in the race that I've grown up in, I enjoy my traditions. But I also enjoy people of all races and I am open to them even if they ain't towards me.

But to say that it doesn't make ME who I am would be lying. People can pick and choose who they are, who they want to be.. and if that's how they want to be seen.. no one needs to follow a set plan.
    But for me no matter what my looks and my skin color will always group me in a group to (some) people.. so why not be proud of the group I'm placed in while I'm there.. the sad truth is that there are still people out there who haven't over came the racial grouping and barriers.
    Being proud of your 'race' is a two edged sword. For if you can be proud of your 'race' then others can be proud of their 'race'.

And this is all horribly familiar.

Far better to learn about genetics and even teach genetics.

Racism is simply based on the ignorance of genetics, just as MBTI is based on the ignorance of psychometrics, and astrology is based on the ignorance of astronomy, and alchemy is based on the ignorance of chemistry.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I know this isn't exactly racial but my dad is Jewish and my mom is Catholic.
    I "look Jewish" though (meaning I take after my dad's side in the family when it comes to looks), my family isn't religious at all- I remember a lot of people being surprised when I wasn't having a barmitzvah like every other Jewish kid (since I'm only half) in my school.. I can't even be a citizen of Israel since my dad is Jewish.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It was only in 1948 that we signed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights for the first time in human history. And we would expect that discrimination would not disappear overnight. Rather we need to work long and hard for a long time using our best tool, liberal democracy, to abolish all discrimination and bring in universal human rights.

This is the great project of the human condition. And it is this project that is our hope. And it is in this project that we have faith. And it is this project that will realize that which we have been struggling for for 200,000 years.

Sure, we bocome tired and cynical. But hope springs eternal.

So we should encourage ourselves by considering what liberal democracy has already achieved, from the abolition of institutional slavery by the House of Commons in 1833, to the emancipation of women in the West in the 20th Century, to the prosecution of child sexual abuse in our Criminal Courts in the last 20 years.

So liberal democracy has succeeded in limiting power over slaves, women and children in the West without resorting to mass murder or dictatorship. This is an extraordinary achievement.

Much needs to be done and we are on our way. And when we become tired, we have a little rest then continue.

La lutte continue.
    I admit you make sense.
    It does take time.

I hope people never would talk about races when I am 120 years old.
    But you never mentioned this part of your reply in your 1st post in this thread.
    So I assumed you were implying something else.

Off topic.
    Wow, did i just manage to break your 1 liner reply trend?
    You always always stick to that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The only thing that makes any sense is to have your genetic code read. Then you will discover that you only have to go back a few generations to find a large mixture of genes from all over the world.
    Perhaps, but if I go around the streets here in Northern Italy, I find a lot of people that look quite a lot like me. When I was in Denmark, almost nobody looked like me. I went to Galicia, and again there were people looking like me, although not as many as here. I'm not saying that race is a valid concept in any way, but I do think that there are clusters of similar facial and body characteristics.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    Veering off on a tangent, my mom, also fully African, has the brightest Scandinavian grey eyes. She has a very striking look. I love it when mutations spring up like that; nature's notion of a prank perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I remember an acquaintance of mine, I could have sworn she was hapa/mixed Asian but she is 100% white. Someone saw a picture of her dad and said her father also looked "ethnic". Some people just got that look. (I'm gonna guess it's the Portguese)
    There's an explanation for both of your statements. Also, the Hmong people tend to have light colored eyes.

Humans overlap in appearance quite a bit. This might surprise you, and you might not believe me. But I think to some extent this perception is a quirk of human psychology, we tend to shoehorn individuals into racial types which we conceive of as very distinct, perhaps more distinct than they truly are.

The fact is that human normal variation is subject to some constraints in terms of function and extant genetic variation. To the left are photographs of the Icelandic singer Bjork and a Bushman woman. Contrary to rumor Bjork is not half-Chinese or part Inuit. No doubt her ancestry is a mixture of Irish and Norse homogenized through centuries of local breeding and population bottlenecks. Nevertheless, her physical appearance suggests to people that she of Asian provenance, and she has noted that she was mocked for being Chinese as a small child, suggesting that she is an extreme end of the Icelandic range. The point though is that some northern Europeans have a vague Asian cast to their features, and this does not necessarily have to do with some distant ancestry from the eastern regions of Eurasia, rather, it is simply part of the normal range of variation.

In contrast to Bjork the Bushman woman is of normal type for her group. Though African one might accept that she has an Asian cast to her features, and in fact when Bushmen in Botswana met Vietnamese workers they assumed that they were of the same race (as opposed to the Bantu speaking African agriculturalists and herders who were their neighbors). We know from analysis of neutral markers that there is no close genetic relationship between Bushmen and East Asians, rather, there are only so many ways to chop up human genetic variation to produce a modal type, and so some forms reoccur. These are extreme cases, but I think it is important to keep in mind that there is overlap in the finite suite of characters which contribute to our perception of someone's racial identity, and that may be the source of the tendency of many children to favor once side (there is also the reality that many Eurasian children, for example, are assumed to look Asian by Europeans and look European by Asians).

Mixed-race but homogeneous appearance? : Gene Expression

Quote Originally Posted by chasingAJ View Post
    I disagree. There is no biological basis for race. It is socially constructed.
    Word.

DNA studies do not indicate that separate classifiable subspecies (races) exist within modern humans. While different genes for physical traits such as skin and hair color can be identified between individuals, no consistent patterns of genes across the human genome exist to distinguish one race from another. There also is no genetic basis for divisions of human ethnicity. People who have lived in the same geographic region for many generations may have some alleles in common, but no allele will be found in all members of one population and in no members of any other.

DNA, Ancestry and Human Migration

The only thing that makes any sense is to have your genetic code read. Then you will discover that you only have to go back a few generations to find a large mixture of genes from all over the world. The genetic fact is that we are all part of the same gene pool that has been mixed and mixed and mixed again, to get you.

Being proud of your 'race' is a two edged sword. For if you can be proud of your 'race' then others can be proud of their 'race'. Far better to learn about genetics and even teach genetics. Racism is simply based on the ignorance of genetics.
    Indeed, good sir.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Wow, if Jason Kidd is black, then I might aswell be Bantu or Congolese or something like that
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP

^^ Jason Kidd is mixed...Black father/White (Irish) mother.

I'm Eurasian.
    Om–ba–ara–minaya–sabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

One day we'll live in a world where it would never occur to anyone to ask this question.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    One day we'll live in a world where it would never occur to anyone to ask this question.
    Yes, that's because of all the interracial mixing, we're all gonna end up gray.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    Yes, that's because of all the interracial mixing, we're all gonna end up gray.
    Actually, we'll all probably have the same skin color as Filipinos.
    Go to sleep, iguana.