User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Because it makes sense

Joking aside, probably because logic has predictability to it and the way emotions are expressed doesn't have the same predictability.

Here's a good solution. Next time someone says "stop being so emotional" tell them you can't help it. you're "a passionate person."

It helps if you have a Spanish accent when you say it.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Emotional. Unfortunately it's a word that has been tainted with misplaced demonization. I don't see people running around saying "You're being logical" and it being accepted as biting criticism. They're both neutral statements that can be twisted into bitter accusations, but I only see it happening in one direction. My question is why?
    When I say emotional, I mean overreacting. And when someone is overreacting, they are focusing solely on their own needs and desires, whereas logic is impersonal. So if you think of being selfish as a positive thing, then embrace it and don't worry about what others think.

And like I said, most times when people overreact is because they hear one word and imagine all these slights, rather than actually hearing a person out.

Maybe I am just biased because I don't understand why my sis-in-law has to break plates in front of her toddler and infant because my brother won't leave work early enough for her to make it to the nail salon before closing... :rolli:

And Iwak: onemoretime is right. Seriously. "you have an answer for everything" does not address anything, and it is a way of saying "I don't care about what you say or what makes sense!"

MBTI
    GONE

That's funny U-dog, 'cause usually it's women who get the "You're being emotional" shut-down.

The closest thing I've gotten is "you're angry" to which I reply, "Damn right I'm angry! 'Cause you pissed me off!?!! And then I scream like a banshee and pull out all my hair.

LOLOL.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    The closest thing I've gotten is "you're angry" to which I reply, "Damn right I'm angry! 'Cause you pissed me off!?!!
    Hell yes! +1000

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Here's a good solution. Next time someone says "stop being so emotional" tell them you can't help it. you're "a passionate person."

It helps if you have a Spanish accent when you say it.
    I can do this!

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    And Iwak: onemoretime is right. Seriously. "you have an answer for everything" does not address anything, and it is a way of saying "I don't care about what you say or what makes sense!"
    You two are confusing me. That doesn't seem like an answer to my question. Do I need to rescrew my eyeballs in?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Emotional. Unfortunately it's a word that has been tainted with misplaced demonization. I don't see people running around saying "You're being logical" and it being accepted as biting criticism. They're both neutral statements that can be twisted into bitter accusations, but I only see it happening in one direction. My question is why?
    I think the equivalent pejorative view of "logical" comes out as some form of "You're telling me about the facts, but you're missing the POINT!" Which I usually interpret as "I don't care who's right, this is my opinion and I will be heard!"
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think the equivalent pejorative view of "logical" comes out as some form of "You're telling me about the facts, but you're missing the POINT!" Which I usually interpret as "I don't care who's right, this is my opinion and I will be heard!"
    Good call. That's the clarification I was looking for. I've definitely used this line before, but it was also with other F-doms...? Go figs.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

You two are confusing me. That doesn't seem like an answer to my question. Do I need to rescrew my eyeballs in?
    your question:

I elaborated on the concept of the double standard of dismissiveness here:

Is there something I should further clarify? Or am I not understanding the question? This above quote is how people see logic as negative.

EDIT: I guess EffEm explained it better...

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

onemoretime is right.
    I just wanted to see that again...

MBTI
    ENTP

When people say that you're being emotional, I think that they're just telling you (in a rude way) to calm down and think things through first. It's really irritates me when someone's emotions just domineer, and absolutely nothing I say or do can get through to them. I usually leave at that point and come back to them later when they've had a chance to chill out.

I never bother arguing with someone who's just out-bursting and going nuts over something (which is generally why I like to avoid politics and religious debates).

I was going to say that it's annoying when someone argues based off of their emotions instead of forming an actual argument, but then I started to think, "Who am I to say that emotions aren't a valid argument?". They're part of who we are, after all. (EDIT: I think I shall make a thread on this later, I have just entered mindfuck mode)

(I have no idea if this post made sense, I woke up 10 minutes ago and it's about 6 AM o_o)

EDIT:
    I'd imagine that it could be just as annoying when someone is being too logical, when an emotional response is appropriate. I believe that everyone needs a good balance between the two.

For example: If someone were to go to me and complain for 8 hours about their day, odds are they aren't looking for some logical help or statement. They want you to sympathize with them and see why they're so pissed, and share in their pissed-offery. I'm guessing that replying with deadpan logic in this situation (ie, "being too logical") would be equally as annoying as someone outbursting and screaming due to their personal views in a philosophical discussion (ie, "being emotional").

Sometimes logic is appropriate, and sometimes we need to apply emotions to fully understand a situation. People who disregard either are missing out on a huge part of life imo.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.