User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 226

  1. #81
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,532

    Default

    Because it makes sense

    Joking aside, probably because logic has predictability to it and the way emotions are expressed doesn't have the same predictability.

    Here's a good solution. Next time someone says "stop being so emotional" tell them you can't help it. you're "a passionate person."

    It helps if you have a Spanish accent when you say it.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  2. #82
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Emotional. Unfortunately it's a word that has been tainted with misplaced demonization. I don't see people running around saying "You're being logical" and it being accepted as biting criticism. They're both neutral statements that can be twisted into bitter accusations, but I only see it happening in one direction. My question is why?
    When I say emotional, I mean overreacting. And when someone is overreacting, they are focusing solely on their own needs and desires, whereas logic is impersonal. So if you think of being selfish as a positive thing, then embrace it and don't worry about what others think.

    And like I said, most times when people overreact is because they hear one word and imagine all these slights, rather than actually hearing a person out.

    Maybe I am just biased because I don't understand why my sis-in-law has to break plates in front of her toddler and infant because my brother won't leave work early enough for her to make it to the nail salon before closing... :rolli:

    And Iwak: onemoretime is right. Seriously. "you have an answer for everything" does not address anything, and it is a way of saying "I don't care about what you say or what makes sense!"

  3. #83
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    That's funny U-dog, 'cause usually it's women who get the "You're being emotional" shut-down.



    The closest thing I've gotten is "you're angry" to which I reply, "Damn right I'm angry! 'Cause you pissed me off!?!! And then I scream like a banshee and pull out all my hair.

    LOLOL.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  4. #84
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    The closest thing I've gotten is "you're angry" to which I reply, "Damn right I'm angry! 'Cause you pissed me off!?!!
    Hell yes! +1000

  5. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Here's a good solution. Next time someone says "stop being so emotional" tell them you can't help it. you're "a passionate person."

    It helps if you have a Spanish accent when you say it.
    I can do this!

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    And Iwak: onemoretime is right. Seriously. "you have an answer for everything" does not address anything, and it is a way of saying "I don't care about what you say or what makes sense!"
    You two are confusing me. That doesn't seem like an answer to my question. Do I need to rescrew my eyeballs in?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  6. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Emotional. Unfortunately it's a word that has been tainted with misplaced demonization. I don't see people running around saying "You're being logical" and it being accepted as biting criticism. They're both neutral statements that can be twisted into bitter accusations, but I only see it happening in one direction. My question is why?
    I think the equivalent pejorative view of "logical" comes out as some form of "You're telling me about the facts, but you're missing the POINT!" Which I usually interpret as "I don't care who's right, this is my opinion and I will be heard!"
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  7. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think the equivalent pejorative view of "logical" comes out as some form of "You're telling me about the facts, but you're missing the POINT!" Which I usually interpret as "I don't care who's right, this is my opinion and I will be heard!"
    Good call. That's the clarification I was looking for. I've definitely used this line before, but it was also with other F-doms...? Go figs.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  8. #88
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    You two are confusing me. That doesn't seem like an answer to my question. Do I need to rescrew my eyeballs in?
    your question:

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Emotional. Unfortunately it's a word that has been tainted with misplaced demonization. I don't see people running around saying "You're being logical" and it being accepted as biting criticism. They're both neutral statements that can be twisted into bitter accusations, but I only see it happening in one direction. My question is why?
    I elaborated on the concept of the double standard of dismissiveness here:

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    And Iwak: onemoretime is right. Seriously. "you have an answer for everything" does not address anything, and it is a way of saying "I don't care about what you say or what makes sense!"
    Is there something I should further clarify? Or am I not understanding the question? This above quote is how people see logic as negative.

    EDIT: I guess EffEm explained it better...

  9. #89
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    onemoretime is right.
    I just wanted to see that again...

  10. #90
    Systematic chaos Cenomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    623

    Default

    When people say that you're being emotional, I think that they're just telling you (in a rude way) to calm down and think things through first. It's really irritates me when someone's emotions just domineer, and absolutely nothing I say or do can get through to them. I usually leave at that point and come back to them later when they've had a chance to chill out.

    I never bother arguing with someone who's just out-bursting and going nuts over something (which is generally why I like to avoid politics and religious debates).

    I was going to say that it's annoying when someone argues based off of their emotions instead of forming an actual argument, but then I started to think, "Who am I to say that emotions aren't a valid argument?". They're part of who we are, after all. (EDIT: I think I shall make a thread on this later, I have just entered mindfuck mode)

    (I have no idea if this post made sense, I woke up 10 minutes ago and it's about 6 AM o_o)

    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Emotional. Unfortunately it's a word that has been tainted with misplaced demonization. I don't see people running around saying "You're being logical" and it being accepted as biting criticism. They're both neutral statements that can be twisted into bitter accusations, but I only see it happening in one direction. My question is why?
    I'd imagine that it could be just as annoying when someone is being too logical, when an emotional response is appropriate. I believe that everyone needs a good balance between the two.

    For example: If someone were to go to me and complain for 8 hours about their day, odds are they aren't looking for some logical help or statement. They want you to sympathize with them and see why they're so pissed, and share in their pissed-offery. I'm guessing that replying with deadpan logic in this situation (ie, "being too logical") would be equally as annoying as someone outbursting and screaming due to their personal views in a philosophical discussion (ie, "being emotional").

    Sometimes logic is appropriate, and sometimes we need to apply emotions to fully understand a situation. People who disregard either are missing out on a huge part of life imo.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

    P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

    P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......


    Eh, I'll finish it later.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] How should one deal with NF's that are being overly emotional?
    By ajblaise in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 10-02-2011, 11:30 AM
  2. [ISFP] ISFPs do you ever feel like you are being treated like a doormat?
    By liYA in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
  3. Ask an ESFJ, and be told how wrong you are
    By pure_mercury in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM
  4. Movies You Are PROUD to be Obsessed With
    By heart in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 04:29 AM
  5. Movies You Are Embarassed to be Obsessed With
    By heart in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO