User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    yes, that's exactly what it is, good point ( at you, Wyst)
    You give much credence to me by pointing out how you're ignoring my point.
    That's what I love about ENTPs. They're so funny when they try to change the subject

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    You give much credence to me by pointing out how you're ignoring my point.
    That's what I love about ENTPs. They're so funny when they try to change the subject
    Again, nice try.

I ignored your post because I thought you were joking. I thought you were joking because you clearly have no way of knowing if someone is 1.) revealing their true feelings 2.) being self-protective or 3.) covering it up.

I didn't want to get into a whole conversation on the concept of F projection because I am all F-projection-conversationed out, so I decided to pat you on the head and agree to disagree. With love, though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Of course, does this mean that an INFP loses objectivity and usefulness the second we start to care about something? The second we care about a "T", does our ability to communicate with them diminish?
    Of course not, but then being emotional doesn't mean having a meltdown or a tantrum, which I'm sure you're aware of, although other people seem to imply it does. It doesn't mean all thought is replaced with emotion. A person can feel and think at the same time, after all.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Not always. Sometimes people are just ridiculous when they argue. They get really emotional about what appears to be nothing. They just can't handle a disagreement. And for the person who is trying to work through the discussion, this is a huge annoyance. I think it can be an attempt at getting back on topic .... its just an attempt that doesn't often work.
    I guess it can be, that's like throwing gasoline on a fire though. People can be too emotional in a disagreement but in general the phrase seems to be used as a tactic to me.

Emotional. Unfortunately it's a word that has been tainted with misplaced demonization. I don't see people running around saying "You're being logical" and it being accepted as biting criticism. They're both neutral statements that can be twisted into bitter accusations, but I only see it happening in one direction. My question is why?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

My younger sister is a strong FJ and I frequently have had to walk away from discussions with her because I realized that whatever arguments I was making were being pitted against her personal feelings and beliefs on the subject and there was no way I was being heard. Those times I tell her straight out that Im not going to debate her feelings on a subject, and we just agree to disagree.

In general, though, Im not fazed by someone getting emotional in an argument per se. But there are times when youre talking with someone and you get the sense that there might be baggage that theyre bringing to the table, and when that happens I dont think its fair to continue to drive a point.

Then again, you can get into it with one of those overly self-indulgent jerkoffs, and its like blood in the water when you realize youve struck a nerve.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I've noticed that some particularly sexist people tend overlook male anger when they're busy calling women "emotional."
    I hate this. If Im in a discussion with someone and Im making a point that I feel strongly about, and someone condescends to me in this way it is utterly enraging (which of course cant then be acted on).

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Emotional. Unfortunately it's a word that has been tainted with misplaced demonization. I don't see people running around saying "You're being logical" and it being accepted as biting criticism. They're both neutral statements that can be twisted into bitter accusations, but I only see it happening in one direction. My question is why?
    It happens in the other direction. We just generally don't react that strongly to it, or if anything, incredulously.

I can't tell you how many times someone who's being pissy drops the whole "oh, right, whatever, you're always right, always can explain everything" like it's supposed to be some sort of insult. Usually, the complete ineffectiveness of that comment just pisses them off further.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It happens in the other direction. We just generally don't react that strongly to it, or if anything, incredulously.

I can't tell you how many times someone who's being pissy drops the whole "oh, right, whatever, you're always right, always can explain everything" like it's supposed to be some sort of insult. Usually, the complete ineffectiveness of that comment just pisses them off further.
    That seems to be more of a "know-it-all" insult as opposed to a "being too rational" insult.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    That seems to be more of a "know-it-all" insult as opposed to a "being too rational" insult.
    They're kind of part and parcel of one another, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    They're kind of part and parcel of one another, trust me.

...not quite imo.