User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 226

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    Any time someone says this to you, tell them they've failed the Turing test and are not a true sentient being.
    The Turing Test...ha...OH MY GOD I LOVE YOUR ICON.

  2. #22
    Senior Member NoahFence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Turing test isn't for cyborgs, for the record.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

  3. #23
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    If I am in an emotional state, it is more likely I'm the one who will make a note of it while it's happening. It is probably best to just admit it if there is an element of emotion. Some people can still make valid points when emotional, and some are especially convincing when everything comes into focus in an integrated way. Many of the historic speeches are an example of this. I usually have to at least compartmentalize the emotion while it is happening to remain clear in thought.

    If I'm not emotional and someone says that, then it often suggests either they are getting emotional and projecting it, or perhaps they are used to having people react emotionally and so have a knee-jerk reaction to assume it is happening whenever there is disagreement. It can also be a way to undermine the other person's position in a debate. There are some times that it can feel a little like being tested. Sometimes what the person is saying is that they don't feel like their position is being heard, but is closed out due to emotion. Usually there is a way to take the conversation to a non-emotional place when that happens or to just bring it to a close for now.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  4. #24
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    I get pretty intense (read: short and concise) in an argument sometimes and people call me emotional when I am anything but that. I just want to use as little words as possible, so as not to be misconstrued. People hear short, clipped sentences and assume I am angry.

    But it's true that sometimes people get carried away with their responses and it's hard to have a straight conversation when someone is carrying on and reacting personally to an impersonal statement. At that point, it's hard for me to continue in the conversation. This is what I call emotional and I guess it all depends on what you view as emotional.

  5. #25
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    If I am in an emotional state, it is more likely I'm the one who will make a note of it while it's happening. It is probably best to just admit it if there is an element of emotion. Some people can still make valid points when emotional, and some are especially convincing when everything comes into focus in an integrated way. Many of the historic speeches are an example of this. I usually have to at least compartmentalize the emotion while it is happening to remain clear in thought.
    Yeah. Recognizing the state of emotion is useful. Attacking the emotion instead of the argument is not.

    If I'm not emotional and someone says that, then it often suggests either they are getting emotional and projecting it, or perhaps they are used to having people react emotionally and so have a knee-jerk reaction to assume it is happening whenever there is disagreement. It can also be a way to undermine the other person's position in a debate. There are some times that it can feel a little like being tested. Sometimes what the person is saying is that they don't feel like their position is being heard, but is closed out due to emotion. Usually there is a way to take the conversation to a non-emotional place when that happens or to just bring it to a close for now.
    I always get suspicious when someone brings the "you are being emotional" attack into an argument, especially when I haven't seen anything to suggest the other person is being overly emotional.

    You make a good point with the bolded. What things can be done to bring the conversation to a non-emotional place, especially when someone is blaming emotion for not being heard?

  6. #26
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    On a serious note, it's pretty much downplaying the validity of the person's emotions.

  7. #27
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I find it really odd someone would complain about being called emotional,
    when they actually chose to put "emo" under their username.

    That is a joke, actually. I called him that in a chat once, then deemed it a good usertitle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    No u r an emotion.



    Actually, I'd think that would make alot of sense. Although until this thread I hadn't actually been called emotional, despite my previous attempts.



    Yes, and I've seen it used on NTs and NFs lately. Most of my original post was said in jest (to express a genuine annoyance), but half the time I've seen it thrown around the other person wasn't actually being emotional.
    I have noticed the same thing of late. If you have to play the "getting emotional" card against the other person, your argument's probably not that great, imo.
    Something Witty

  8. #28
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    But it's true that sometimes people get carried away with their responses and it's hard to have a straight conversation when someone is carrying on and reacting personally to an impersonal statement. At that point, it's hard for me to continue in the conversation. This is what I call emotional and I guess it all depends on what you view as emotional.
    Yes, and I agree with this. I'm simply stating that the phrase is starting to become overused and misused.

    What is the best way to recognize and verbally (or textually) acknowledge that someone's being emotional, and that the discussion is no longer worthwhile?

  9. #29
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    On a serious note, it's pretty much downplaying the validity of the person's emotions.
    Agreed. Sometimes people display pride for being unable to understand or acknowledge another person's emotions. I've never understood that, but I guess that's something an F dom would say, isn't it? It's especially interesting when I see "F"s do it, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    That is a joke, actually. I called him that in a chat once, then deemed it a good usertitle.
    Quiet, you! I liked letting people make their own decision on what I meant by it.

    By which I mean, I only made it into a joke to mask the deep pain it caused me.

  10. #30
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Yes, and I agree with this. I'm simply stating that the phrase is starting to become overused and misused.

    What is the best way to recognize and verbally (or textually) acknowledge that someone's being emotional, and that the discussion is no longer worthwhile?
    I just stop responding and back out of the conversation. It stresses me out to speak to someone when they are in a state of agitation. I just say "ok, let's agree to disagree" or "let me think about this for a while and get back to you". At that point, they usually can tell that it's too much for me and will leave it alone. If they don't see that, then it's better for me to back out. I let people get emotional to a point and give them a grace period - but I can only be pushed so far before I hit back. So, it's like a warning shot really.

    Or sometimes they will ask me why I am backing out. If they ask me a direct question like that, I'll just say it's because emotions seem to be rising all around and I would just like for us both to take a few moments to calm down and collect our thoughts before continuing.

    I say that so I don't embarrass the other person, but what I really mean is that s/he needs to calm the fuck down and leave me alone.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] How should one deal with NF's that are being overly emotional?
    By ajblaise in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 10-02-2011, 11:30 AM
  2. [ISFP] ISFPs do you ever feel like you are being treated like a doormat?
    By liYA in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
  3. Ask an ESFJ, and be told how wrong you are
    By pure_mercury in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM
  4. Movies You Are PROUD to be Obsessed With
    By heart in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 04:29 AM
  5. Movies You Are Embarassed to be Obsessed With
    By heart in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO