User Tag List

12 Last

Glycerine

Default the written word vs. the spoken word

Many times when I write an email, PM, or letter to someone, I seem to go a bit overboard. I write things that I probably normally wouldn't say in person. It's like I get too wrapped up in the nuances and start freaking out.

On the other side, I will think of how a real life conversation could have gone differently and am usually happy with what I originally said. It seems like the other person acts like a guideline for what to say next. I will plan out the conversation in my head beforehand but it NEVER turns out that way so I just act accordingly.

How's it like for other people? Could this be the difference between I's and E's?

EDIT: My ISFP friend sounds the same in both formats, lucky duck.

I always feel like I have better expressed myself in writing than in speech. I get the time to hit the right nuance and use the right words. In speech, it's a hurried process where I have to think on my feet and I might not get it all out the way I want to say it. I'm also prone to "um"s and "uh"s, so I don't sound as certain as I'd like.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i way prefer spoken word...i feel like i'm so much better at expressing what i mean.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

While I am not uncomfortable talking, I prefer the time writing allows me to sort out what I am going to say. So far your hypothesis seems to be holding out.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I so prefer speech to writing.

With emails etc, after sending them i always kick myself as i could of said more, given more detail, asked more specific questions.

I just go with the flow with speech. It is also easier to interpret what the other is saying, having body language, tone of voice etc to work with.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

While I prefer writing over speaking, I realize that real life interactions entail a lot of emotional conveyances that are subtle yet constantly sensed by others. This is not possible through writing, no matter how many emoticons you use. However, I am still drawn to constructing concise, meaningful passages that I can toy with until perfect.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

Phantonym

I'm definitely more comfortable with writing than speaking. It always seems that the best things to say come to mind after the opportunity to say them has passed. With writing, I can compose my thoughts and at least try to be clear with my thoughts.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I can actually be extremely talkative but I have open mouth, insert foot syndrome. I like the poetry that's possible with the written word, and the fact that I seem more intelligent on paper than I do out loud. Ha.

Glycerine

Whoa, there seems to be a strong pattern. I'll just stick to speaking then unless I wanna sound like a creep in writing. haha

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think it's about the same to me. Maybe written has a little edge.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli