User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Do you subvocalize?

Subvocalization, or silent speech, is defined as the internal speech made when reading a word, thus allowing the reader to imagine the sound of the word as it is read.

Many of you have spoken to each other on vent so you know what they sound like. Others you've heard in either videos or voice recordings only. The rest that you haven't heard, you may subvocalize based on their avatar or online persona.

For instance, Sky_is_Blue said she learned that a poster was from Scotland and after that began to read their posts in a scottish accent. That is subvocalization.

Do you subvocalize other posters? Describe what their voices sound like when you subvocalize them. Feel free to use voice characters from television or movies or your real life to describe them.

Off the top of my head:

Haight sounds like Simon Cowell (without the accent).

PinkPirahna sounds like a cute 8 year old girl.

Simulatedword, sounds like Bart Simpson.

Saslou speaks with a southern English accent (not sure which exactly)

Halla74 sounds like Hulk Hogan

Jenocyde sounds like my sister

Geoff sounds like the Geico english lizard.

Pitseleh has a really squeaky voice.

Grayscale has a very deep voice.

Unique sounds condescending.

Risen sounds a little street.

A few INTx females sound like the voice I associate with black thick rimmed glasses.

hommefatal sounds slightly effeminate (in a good way).

Jockthemotie sounds like the voice I associate with fratboy

Antisocial One sounds like a guy who's softspoken but respected

I'll post more as I think of them...

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Hahaha, this is the funniest post - what exactly does your sister sound like?

I've been on vent and met some of these characters irl and I still don't subvocalize - with one exception. Lady X. I can't shake her imaginary voice out of my head. It sounds soft and sultry, but a bit like a hippy on some kind of drug telling me to mellow out and enjoy the ride. If you can imagine a voice like that... Hmmm, maybe like that guitarist girl Janice on the Muppets, but sexier and softer?

Jock really does not sound frat boyish irl, that's hilarious. And SW as Bart Simpson? I almost died laughing reading that. I have no idea how he sounds, but I really hope he sounds like Bart now.

Oh, and sometimes Ne Monster can jump out at me with a voice that sounds like a cute hummingbird when she flits around insanely from topic to topic. And that makes me remember that once in a while, I can hear EffEmDoubleYou and he sounds like Will Ferrell. But that's it, I think.

yup, jeno has a beautiful deep husky voice and blue monday has this very clear precise voice.

Q is crisp and Kalach kind of funny and clever with some silly added in. AS sounds terse and very serious and I love to listen to provoker, I could listen to him forever.

Lady X is sweet and soft...like a happy druken butterfly...Solitary walker is serious and all the little entp punks sound like-well entp punks.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Fratboy!? /wrists

Anyways, I could have written Jeno's post. I don't subvocalize her posts really, even though I've met her. However, a unique posting style I will subvocalize, Lady X being the best example, Wildhorses being another, Ne-monster is one too.

I read most people's posts as my voice.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I tend not to do this, actually. I need to get a mic so people on Ventrilo can hear what I actually sound like.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Talking

I do this ALL the time. Imaginary when it comes to people who I have never heard on ventrilo and their real voices when it comes to people I have actually heard.

The imaginary ones:

Haight: dry, matter-of-fact. Kinda like a scientist speaking, somehow.

Sanveane: This really really heavy aussie dialect, almost like she lives in the countryside and wears a cowboy hat, raising horses for a living It's kinda hot.

Bougal: this commanding kind of voice, LA accent (not the silly valley girl accent, PROFESSIONAL somehow). Deep and almost dark, well for a female anyways.

Halla74: I kind of imagine this guy talking like Charlie Sheen. I don't know why

Bluebell: really slow and kind of southern. It's because of the avatar. I imagine bluebell leaning against that tree, smoking a cigarette while talking slowly, kinda like Bob Dylan.

BerberElla: I somehow imagine her as having this almost unnoticeable dialect from some other country, but overall kinda New Yorkish. Not a fast talker, but not slow either. Lots of emotion and kinda like an alto voice, but not super-dark, just kinda strong and a little spellbinding. Hm. No, lady, i'm not in love with you

Falcarius: you know the way the guy talks about himself in third person? Yeah, that brings about this strangely childish voice somehow. And the whole dinosaur thing makes me think of the movie "The Land before time", so it's kinda like the voice of Littlefoot.

iwakar: what's with me and the INF's? I imagine her as being a fast-talker, but with a ton of melody in her voice. Some shades of determination in there, too.

Victor: now this guy I subvocalize all the time. Especially if I am annoyed or disagreeing with what he's writing I know he's from Australia, but somehow I have attributed this odd almost british accent to him... I have a youtube video with the exact voice that i'm thinking about... Wait... The guy in question is called Colin Rudd.

Here: [YOUTUBE="AQP_zF3s_JM"]Colin Rudd - Ballad of the Alamo[/YOUTUBE]

The ones that I have heard speaking are like... Too many And if it's not imaginary, it's not as much fun

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Merc, when you said that, you just sounded like Tobias Funke.

EDIT: YLJ, irl you are so right about Iwakar being melodic (and enchanting??) and so wrong about Sanveane having a heavy dialect (although you are right about her being hot). That was so interesting!!!

heart on fire

I won't silently vocalize but I often will create a mental image of a person, what my mind thinks they may look like. Usually human like avatars will complicate this.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Merc, when you said that, you just sounded like Tobias Funke.

EDIT: YLJ, irl you are so right about Iwakar being melodic (and enchanting??) and so wrong about Sanveane having a heavy dialect (although you are right about her being hot). That was so interesting!!!
    Yeah, but Our dear san did say a long time ago that she was getting a mic so that she could get on vent, but so far that hasn't happened Maybe she can come on and correct the problem some time, eh?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Fratboy!? /wrists
    You look like a frat boy...personality, not so much. Maybe Sigma Pi Sigma.

However, a unique posting style I will subvocalize, Lady X being the best example, Wildhorses being another, Ne-monster is one too.
    In other words, ENFPs?

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I won't silently vocalize but I often will create a mental image of a person, what my mind thinks they may look like.
    I do this sometimes.