It is the year 3269. Approximatly 1000 years ago a great nuclear war destroyed all leading countries in the world. The continents North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia had all been hit and irradiated and became unlivible. Africa is now the only known world where ancestors fled too in times of old. Cape Town is the largest living city in the world. All throughout Africa borders have fallen and a capitalistic and oppertunistic political system arose.
Due to advanced weapon systems used in the 'great war', an unknown side effect arose, allowing certain evolved (or perhaps mutated) people to control the elements by thought. Tapping into the spirituality of the world easy and effectively. This has split the population up into groups. Those who dabble in the arts of magick, and those who do not. Though relations between the two are most tense. After several hundred years of futes, confrontations are few and small in size. There's an uneasy mutual toleration between the two groups. And there are those who are neutral to the conflict.
Legend says that the far reaches of the world become livible again a 1000 year after the Great War. The first planetory expedition team is being set up in Cape Town. It's motive, to search new lands.
Things of note.
- Technology levels are industrial and steam based. Even though there is advanced technologic remnants of old. The understanding of this is lost, but working ancient technology can be incoorperated into newly designed systems. Electronic based technologies malfunction in close proximity to users of magick and is thought to be unreliable.
- Controlling Magick is a exhausting feat and requires great concentration. There is a limit to how much a person is able to do without resting.
- Although humanity is scattered throughout the southern tip of Africa, most every living being lives in Cape Town.
- The world population is now 5 million, 4 of which living in Cape Town.
- Little is known about the world prior to the great war, as not many documents in Africa remain. The first 100 years having been extremely chaotic, most everything got plundered and burned at the time. Only legends remain.
Thus there are aspects of apocalyptic, futuristic, steampunk and magic all in a shell of the real world.