User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    If I am broke, but a person that I truly have a deep fondness for is in need of a present, I will spend hours upon hours making them an awesome Mix-CD, complete with original cover art and custom made sleeve insert with artist/track title information.
    I do the flower thing for grandparents and such I think it's nice and it's personal with the added bonus of being disposable so they don't have to worry about me buying them stuff that could potentially lay around the house.

I LOVE hand-making and getting hand-made gifts. My neighbor gave me the best birthday card ever made by hand, you can't buy humor like that I made my brother a huge scrapbook for his birthday this year and delivered it to him by hand in Florida. He absolutely loved it, and I couldn't have given him anything better I don't think. I've made keepsake or display boxes out of picture frames, chandeliers, and my sister's entire wedding accessories. I'm ranting, but, handmade stuff rocks the casbah!

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Everyone gets Starbucks cards. Or cash. Or awkward rubdowns.
    I actually like gift cards and cash gifts a lot. No need to return stuff, useful, shows you took time to give a gift, and it's not TOO personal so it's perfect for people that you want to give a gift to without seeming sappy and icky.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Usually, something unique and meaningful to the individual.

I stay away from getting people general gifts that obviously show little thought. Gift cards, money, etc.

If I'm getting a gift for somebody, I want it to be meaningful and something unique and fitting to the person that doesn't necessarily have to be of any material benefit. Because that's not what a gift should be.

In my opinion, giving money and gift cards just shows that you didn't give it much thought and you opted for the easiest method. In my opinion, easy is because of laziness. Laziness in regards to others is selfishness.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^I don't understand that mentality at all :ouch:. Money takes hard work to earn (usually..) and whenever I'm giving up my money for someone else thought is taken and my budget is carefully balanced to accomodate this.

Whenever I get money, it's HIGHLY appreciated as I'm young and always in need of it, and if it's a giftcard I feel really special.. like I can just bust into that store and buy something I've always held out on because I never felt like I had an opportunity to buy it. Some people are bad at giving gifts, and I end up with trinkets sitting there for years in my room that I'm too sad to throw away as it was thoughtful, but useless and cluttering and collecting dust.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^I don't understand that mentality at all :ouch:. Money takes hard work to earn (usually..) and whenever I'm giving up my money for someone else thought is taken and my budget is carefully balanced to accomodate this.

Whenever I get money, it's HIGHLY appreciated as I'm young and always in need of it, and if it's a giftcard I feel really special.. like I can just bust into that store and buy something I've always held out on because I never felt like I had an opportunity to buy it. Some people are bad at giving gifts, and I end up with trinkets sitting there for years in my room that I'm too sad to throw away as it was thoughtful, but useless and cluttering and collecting dust.
    I guess I was thinking more on the lines of presents for my family and close friends.

But still, I stand by what I said. And I say this because I have little to no money, less than you probably. I don't feel it right to lazily go out and by a gift card for a family member. I might for a friend, but not a close one. I usually would prefer to go out and pick out something personal for them.

A gift isn't something that can only evoke material and superficial pleasures, like money. In my eyes, they really should mean something. I'm not talking about anything huge and grand, as you could spend the same amount if you went both ways.

I guess I'm more personal than a lot of people are. I'd rather give something meaningful than something that gives over concrete pleasure. I'm just not that way..

Money will come and go, but it's the meaning and the love at which you give gifts and what they represent that is real and everlasting. Money is appreciated and useful, but as far as receiving gifts, I'd much rather take the less-superficial path.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

I usually don't get anybody anything. It's always been this way so they have no expectations. If I care enough, I'll make something or buy something I know that they'd love based on what I've heard. (I have a good memory.)

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

(Party pooper)

I think I've given up on getting people presents. I can't get people surprises, because I have no idea what they'd want or what they'd like. I'm horrible at guessing like that. Even though I get what you're saying about money and gift-cards for stores, most people think of it as impersonal, so I wouldn't do that for most people.

I like the handmade idea. I'm going to stick mainly to that in the future, giving handwritten cards and not much else. Other acts and gestures, minus the material gifts. With family, I can probably get away with this. Of course, if someone tells me they want something, I can do that.

Anyway, that's been running around in my head. I'm using "not enough money" as an excuse not to get people presents for now. Lack of presents, but I hope to make up for that by "showing that I care." Haha, we'll see how that works.

If I were to get somebody a present the usual way, I would get it in advance, though.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I do the flower thing for grandparents and such I think it's nice and it's personal with the added bonus of being disposable so they don't have to worry about me buying them stuff that could potentially lay around the house.

I LOVE hand-making and getting hand-made gifts. My neighbor gave me the best birthday card ever made by hand, you can't buy humor like that I made my brother a huge scrapbook for his birthday this year and delivered it to him by hand in Florida. He absolutely loved it, and I couldn't have given him anything better I don't think. I've made keepsake or display boxes out of picture frames, chandeliers, and my sister's entire wedding accessories. I'm ranting, but, handmade stuff rocks the casbah!
    AND...

I actually like gift cards and cash gifts a lot. No need to return stuff, useful, shows you took time to give a gift, and it's not TOO personal so it's perfect for people that you want to give a gift to without seeming sappy and icky.

Rock on, Sister! You've got the skillz! Someone needs to turn us loose with a suitcase of cash at Xmas time and we'll take care of it!

I loooove getting cash. Also, I too find it is one of the most heartfelt gifts, it is my blood, sweat, and tears encapsulated into little pieces of paper allowing me to transfer my effort to someone and tell them "Here's a gift from me to you, go get whatever you want, make it fun, make it for you, and I find out you spent it on bills, I will break into your house and rearrange all your furniture when your gone. Happy shopping!"

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I have gotten in the habit of list making with hubby and BFF and others.
    I ask people to make lists of things they want and always get them something from the list that way they get something they definately want- and then I might get another gift as a surprise that is just something I assume they will want if I have keyed into them properly and feel like I know them well enough. Whenever I feel I come across something that completely encompasses the essence of who they are I have to get it if it is in gift budget. I like gift giving because in a lot of way to me it is a test or better put reflection of how tuned into each other you are and how much you know and pay attention. Holidays and b-days I always make sure to get lists though and go as much by the list as possible.

For on the fly and not holiday gift giving-
    I try to ask questions to people asking them what they like- then I write it down and try to keep track. I pay attention to their reactions when other people give them gifts and look to see a pattern in any gift giving from others. I will use that information to inspire me to give them things that no one else would think of and things that they need that perhaps others will not give them so they don't get too much of the same things. I also like to make things. I like to make my gal friends origami bouquets of flowers for example. I like to do things from the heart. Write songs or poetry for them-crochet scarves- things that are original, come from the heart and take time to make to where time is a part of the gift as well.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INTJ

1. take money out of pocket
    2. put it in card (optional step)
    3. give it to the person

I'm not good at picking out presents and everyone likes money. Gift cards to me say, "Hey...I was thinking about you just enough to not get you cash...so I got you something worse."
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

First, I look for something that I like, then I buy it and have it giftwrapped. A couple months later, I open it and say, "WOW! It's what I always wanted!"