User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by NewEra View Post
    I don't get any of these questions, thank goodness.
    this
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    - Are you angry?
    - What's wrong?
    - Are you always this quiet?
    - Smile! (Okay. Not a question but I'm curious as to what types keep suggesting this questionable deed! ).
    Omg, all of these, frequently, my entire life. I get really heated about this as I've gotten it so often by everyone from family and friends to total strangers. It feels like a personal attack, and I'm just sick of it.

Are you angry/sad?
    I might be bored. I might be tired. I could be annoyed, I guess, but usually, I'm perfectly fine. This assumption irks me because what is it based on? I guess I could give people who don't know me a little leeway here because they're not used to my normal expression/behavior, but people who do know me should know better. And I definitely shouldn't have to repeat myself. If I say I'm fine, I'm fine.
    What's wrong?
    As above. Usually nothing big, but if something WAS wrong, I'll decide if I want to share it. Poking and prodding at me will get nowhere and just hack me off more.
    Are you always this quiet?
    Would you like to add something to your statement or do you just get off pointing out the obvious? I don't think people who ask me this question are really concerned about my quietness, but are just attacking my personality. I don't go around asking people if they're always so obnoxiously loud.
    Smile!
    Fuuuuuuuuuu. Seriously, this one really irks me. People have no right. I get that they usually are operating under good intentions, they just want to spread happiness or something, but I'm not going to stick a phoney smile on my face just to make them more comfortable with it. It's not my fault my face offends people.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

My mom says "Are you okay? You look so sad!" almost every single day. She worries about me. I'm not sad at all, just kinda neutral most of the time!

MBTI
    INTP

I used to get a lot of all that...until I figured out that smiling at people goes a long way toward getting them off your back. But then being perceived as friendly at first can bite you when your introverted tendencies come out, because people figure that you're just being outgoing to everyone but them. Before I learned to smile, I'm fairly sure I always walked around with a case of bitchface. I don't get people who tell you to smile, though. How completely patronizing. Has that EVER in the history of the world gotten a positive response? "Yeah, my house just burned down, but you're right, smiling makes it so much better. And now I feel comforted by the knowledge that you, a total douchey stranger, now think I'm much prettier."

My bandmate, an extrovert, told me the other day that several people had mentioned that I seemed standoffish. She told them, no, I'm just an introvert. But you know, I am standoffish to an extent. I'll be happy to talk to you after the show if you come up to me, but the idea of traipsing around a bar, endlessly shooting the breeze with folks and fending off drunk pick-up attempts gives me the hives. My social anxiety kicks in big time. I'm so much more at home packing up the gear and looking busy. I'm really only ever comfortable 1) onstage, and 2) with friends or family.
    Something Witty

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I come across as far more social on the internet than in real life in my first impressions that I make on other people.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I think most ISTJ/INTJ/INTP/ISTP's are commonly asked these questions upon first meeting. I know I am. I'd like to hear how you guys have responded to them and what reactions your responses normally produce.

- Are you angry?
    - What's wrong?
    - Smile! (Okay. Not a question but I'm curious as to what types keep suggesting this questionable deed! ).

Other types are welcome to add their own "first impression" questions and answers. It would be interesting to see what some of the extroverts hear all the time.

I always think my husband is mad at me... And I always ask him if he's mad or upset at me for something... And when he doesn't respond to my questions/comments fast enough it drives me insane and I constantly ask him if he heard me.

Most people don't tell him to smile... That might have more to do with his military background though.... Hardly any of them smile a lot. Me on the other hand... I get so tired of being told to smile. I smile when I'm around people I like. That's good enough for me.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

I think most ISTJ/INTJ/INTP/ISTP's are commonly asked these questions upon first meeting. I know I am. I'd like to hear how you guys have responded to them and what reactions your responses normally produce.

- Are you angry?
    - What's wrong?

Other types are welcome to add their own "first impression" questions and answers. It would be interesting to see what some of the extroverts hear all the time.
    I don't get these questions when people first meet me in a professional setting. Apparently they feel intimidated by me. And probably think these questions just don't voice them.

In social settings I can act funny and attention seeking and often do play the entertainer. But then when the same people see me quiet they think there is something wrong with me. When really thats how i am 99% of the time. Again, mostly they don't challenge me on it because they feel intimidated by me.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The one thing that often happens to me is people believing I'm not authentic because I am so flexible and calm in every situation.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I don't think I get asked any particular questions. I've learned to blend in pretty well. Although I think I throw people off with my honesty and directness, and sometimes seem aloof.

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

"Cheer up, it might never happen."
    "What are you reading?"
    "Are you all right?"

I got these all the time at school, and I still get them now when I don't have the "Bugger Off" sign of headphones. (Sometimes I'll have my headphones in even when I'm not listening to music, just so that shop assistants and randomers will leave me alone.) Grrrr. Grrrrr. Snarl death destroy! The first is just the emptiest most fatuous thing to say to anyone, let alone a stranger. The second just - oh god, why? If I'm reading, it's because I want to be reading! What on earth makes you think I want to stop reading and talk to you? And the third one is nearly always when I'm lost in thought and/or sitting having lunch on my own. I'm sorry, is there some kind of rule that says I must be unhappy if I'm not surrounded by people? Is it really that inconceivable that I might value my silent time alone and actively resent having it broken into? FFS! I know that people mean it well when they do this, and that they're trying to be nice, so I smile briefly, respond civilly and return to whatever I was doing. But inside my head I'm screaming "What is WRONG with you people?!"

I suspect this of being a curse of introverts everywhere. My theme song when I'm in public lost in thought has got to be "Madalini's Aversion to Smalltalk Had Become Really Rather Extreme" by Invocal.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.