User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Default Why do you do it?

Bluewing made a comment I found interesting in another thread, about how INTPs live for the pursuit of higher understanding, and INTJs for seeing their visions realized.

This cuts to the core of it for me. All of the planning, scheduling, chess-mastering, etc. related with my type is incidental. I don't think that schedules and deadlines are inherently super-keen. I don't bust my hump because I think it "builds character". All MBTI aside, my life premise is simple: see my ideas to fruition.

My question, then, becomes: Putting all MBTI terminology and what have you aside, what is your life premise? Why do you do it?
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Maximize pleasure and minimize pain through looking ahead and enlightened self-interest.

Not that I always act accordingly, that's just sort of the mission statement and what I work towards.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Me? Curiosity. I want to see what's going to happen today, to see what the effects of yesterday's events were, whether I predicted correctly or not. Also, I want to see what I am capable of doing, and reach certain goals.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Why not?
    Likes Merced liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Why do I get up in the morning?

At this stage of my life, I cannot afford to be completely esoteric: Sometimes I get up simply because other people are depending on me and/or I need to fulfill my obligations in order to be given the resources I need to follow my own bliss.

But in general:
    1. To explore/experience the world and gain a better understanding of Reality and How It All Fits Together.
    2. To connect with others in deep and meaningful ways, hopefully to curb the loneliness.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Waxing Ulyssean: To strive, to seek, to find; and not to yield.
    Likes ESFJ liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

A search for myself...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

"To drive my enemies before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

Oh wait, that's Ubie's line...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Maximize pleasure and minimize pain through looking ahead and enlightened self-interest.

Not that I always act accordingly, that's just sort of the mission statement and what I work towards.
    Perfect.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'd have to say my life premise is to pretty much understand everything that I have a desire to understand. Although I want to accept this as impossible, I don't think I can really do that. I credit this, among other things, to my weak J.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss