User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Behind the name

Phantonym

Default Behind the name

Ever wanted to know what is the etymology and history behind your first name?

Find out

Phantonym

Mine is a Norwegian and Swedish form of MARGARET: Derived from Latin Margarita, which was from Greek ?????????? (margarites) meaning "pearl", probably a borrowing from Sanskrit. Saint Margaret, the patron of expectant mothers, was martyred at Antioch in the 4th century. Later legends told of her escape from a dragon, with which she was often depicted in medieval art. The saint was popular during the Middle Ages, and her name has been widely used in the Christian world.
    Other saints by this name include a queen of Scotland and a princess of Hungary. It was also borne by Queen Margaret I of Denmark, who united Denmark, Sweden, and Norway in the 14th century.

your resident asshole

*edited*
    Means "ewe" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament this was the name of the favourite wife of Jacob and the mother of Joseph and Benjamin. The name was common among Jews in the Middle Ages, but it was not generally used as a Christian name in the English-speaking world until after the Protestant Reformation.
    Interesting... but now that I've told you guys my name, I have to kill you.

Wow... that really did not sound funny. Joke fail. D:

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Interesting... but now that I've told you my name, I have to kill you.

Wow... that really did not sound funny. Joke fail. D:
    Oh noes...

You don't actually have to post your name if you don't want to They can be successfully *bleeped*. Just the explanation

your resident asshole

Oh it's fine. I'll let people see it but remove it later today so it isn't up there forever.

Enneagram
    9w8

I all ready know the etymology of my name, the meaning and history behind it... that is why I chose it, among other reasons.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I already knew this behind my name, but here is what the site says. I do love my name.

From the Late Greek name ??????????? (Christophoros) meaning "bearing Christ", derived from ??????? (Christos) combined with ???? (phero) "to bear, to carry". It was used by early Christians as a metaphorical name, expressing that they carried Christ in their hearts. In the Middle Ages, literal interpretations of the name's etymology led to legends about a Saint Christopher who carried the young Jesus across a river. He has come to be regarded as the patron saint of travellers.

As an English given name, Christopher has been in general use since the 15th century. In Denmark it was borne by three kings (their names are usually spelled Christoffer), including the 15th-century Christopher of Bavaria who also ruled Norway and Sweden. Other famous bearers include Italian explorer Christopher Columbus (1451-1506), English playwright Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593), and the fictional character Christopher Robin from A. A. Milne's 'Winnie-the-Pooh' books.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Mine's not so special.

It's a Dutch or Scandinavian version of Alexander, which is...

...Latinized form of the Greek name ?????????? (Alexandros), which meant "defending men" from Greek ????? (alexo) "to defend, help" and ???? (aner) "man" (genitive ??????). In Greek mythology this was another name of the hero Paris, and it also belongs to several characters in the New Testament. However, the most famous bearer was Alexander the Great, King of Macedon. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. Due to his fame, and later medieval tales involving him, use of his name spread throughout Europe.

MBTI
    ESFJ

SARAH

Usage: English, French, German, Jewish, Arabic, Biblical

Other Scripts: ?????? (Hebrew), ???? (Arabic)

Pronounced: SER-? (English), SAR-? (English), ZAH-rah (German) [key]

Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament. She became the mother of Isaac at the age of 90. Her name was originally ?????? (Saray), but God changed it (see Genesis 17:15). In England, Sarah came into use after the Protestant Reformation.

Or Sarah Louise was a character on Emmerdale Farm which my mother used to watch.

I like the idea of being a Princess.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

KRISTIAN (No, not kristin! It's Scandinavian!)

KRISTIAN

Usage: Scandinavian, Finnish

My middle name is LEIF which is a Viking name (Leif Erickson). So I have a pretty Norwegian name followed by a Scottish Surname.

Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?