User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default Post Your Picture and be renamed!

[Adapted from 'what would you change your name to and why?]

Kudos to Fidelia for giving the idea.

here's how it works:
    Post a picture of yourself, any picture of yourself (don't be shy!) and have the next poster rename you.
    The next poster should also supply a picture of themselves if they can.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    xxxx

Depends on the occasion for which I was changing my name. If I was moving to a new area, I'd probably chose a name that fits culturally.

However, it's a purely arbitrary name change, I'd probably take the name James. There's a lot of males on my mother's side that have the name. Why not?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I wish I could change my name to Thorgill Warhammer.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I've often considered that question. I don't hate my name, but it was rather popular the year I was born and sometimes thought about going by my second name instead.

However, would it fundamentally change who you are as a person? And can you really pick an entirely new name without changing your whole sense of identity once you're grown up?

I think it would take quite a degree of self-awareness to pick out an appropriate name for yourself because you'd have to have a sense of what names suit the way you look and your basic personality, which parents don't really have the luxury of knowing soon after welcoming their mishapen-headed, red-faced, wet-haired little creature into the world.

It would also be difficult if you happened to care for what other people thought of your name because then you would have to factor in the varied perceptions of each kind of name. For example, people I know named their child Seven. I don't know if I'd do it myself, but it sort of suited their kid, although it outraged all of the SJs I knew. Others would see certain names as ugly, or stodgy, or unsuitably ethnic for your looks, or they knew other people they didn't like with that name etc (as a teacher I have never met a well-behaved child named Dalton or Jeremy!)

Many of my Asian friends have picked Canadian names for themselves that most people here wouldn't dream of naming themselves: Sophia, Blanche, Maurice etc. I've wondered if I were in one of their countries, would I care that the name that sounded pretty to me was their equivalent of Ethel, or Gertrude or something?

I'll have to ruminate further. Perhaps we could have a thread where people could post their pictures and we could rename the people according to what we think they look like...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I've often considered that question. I don't hate my name, but it was rather popular the year I was born and sometimes thought about going by my second name instead.

However, would it fundamentally change who you are as a person? And can you really pick an entirely new name without changing your whole sense of identity once you're grown up?

I think it would take quite a degree of self-awareness to pick out an appropriate name for yourself because you'd have to have a sense of what names suit the way you look and your basic personality, which parents don't really have the luxury of knowing soon after welcoming their mishapen-headed, red-faced, wet-haired little creature into the world.

It would also be difficult if you happened to care for what other people thought of your name because then you would have to factor in the varied perceptions of each kind of name. For example, people I know named their child Seven. I don't know if I'd do it myself, but it sort of suited their kid, although it outraged all of the SJs I knew. Others would see certain names as ugly, or stodgy, or unsuitably ethnic for your looks, or they knew other people they didn't like with that name etc (as a teacher I have never met a well-behaved child named Dalton or Jeremy!)

Many of my Asian friends have picked Canadian names for themselves that most people here wouldn't dream of naming themselves: Sophia, Blanche, Maurice etc. I've wondered if I were in one of their countries, would I care that the name that sounded pretty to me was their equivalent of Ethel, or Gertrude or something?

I'll have to ruminate further. Perhaps we could have a thread where people could post their pictures and we could rename the people according to what we think they look like...
    Great idea!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I'll start:

Post Your Picture and be renamed!-krissssssaaahhh-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

heart on fire

^ Thorgill Warhammer

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    ^ Thorgill Warhammer
    YESSS!!!!!

MBTI
    ENTP

Amelia Rowan

(look at my profile)

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bougal View Post
    Amelia Rowan

(look at my profile)
    You look like an April..

April..Fullerton

April Fullerton.