Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Commit suicide or seppekku, and die an honorable death

1 3.13%
  • wait for the enemy capture you, and beg their leader to spare your life

1 3.13%
  • run, run and keep hiding, even if you have no where to go

14 43.75%
  • Face the million man army all on your own, and die fighting to your last breath

16 50.00%
First 1234 Last

I think that if you choose any of the four options before you get in to similar sitation that is not strategic thinking.

Since we are talking about million men army and battles I will presume that we are talking about a conflict that happened hundereds of years ago. Since in modern times their spys , air force and cruise missles would probably kill you as soon as the fronline collapses. (If there is even a front line.)

The option about running away can be good if the battle was somewhere in the wildernes and you have a horse. But if it is open field then you can just hope for the best that you will manage to get away. But if there is alot of vegetation and hills you have a realistic chance. After you run away you can freely start ploting something.

I mean if you don't have any means of escape it is not strange that you lost the war in the first place. Actually you have deserved to lose it.

The argument about killing a first soldier is unrealistic. Since back then there wasn't individual soldiers since groups were dominant form. Plus if you manage to actually do this there is a realistic possibility that the uniform will not fit. So if you look guffy in that uniform you will be suspicious. Also if you kill that soldier in a too massy way the uniform will be complety bloody what could look suspicious a well. If there are large physical differences between nations this will probably not work as plan. In the modern times this option is technically pointless since it is well known how enemy leader looks like.

Also there is a big difference in the context on the situation. Since it is not the same if you are the one who started the war or you are the one that is defending his/her country. Also it depends what are the relative stranghts and philosophies or both sides. If you are the one that started the bloody war you are screwed for sure. However if you are the attacker you have certain strategic options that defenders usually don't have.
    What means that if you are a good leader you will probably not even end up in this situation.

But if you are not the attacker and you have been attacked by much stronger opponent which has imperialistic tendencies you have one more option. Which is that you demand/go straight to the enemy leader(s) and give them an offer. Which is that they will suffer additional loses if they kill you since they have defeated the oficial army but they will have large problems in controling the the territoty since there is alot of small and tiny
    settlement so their large army will have a problem taking control over all of it.
    And if they decide to go with totally brutal strategy they are risking a state wide guerilla warfare. Which means they will have to fragment their army to defeat the enemy. Which will make it even more easier to defeat them or create huge loses for minimal achievement. Plus they will have problems with supplys in this case as well and if they kill too much people the terriory will become unproductive for years, plus someone else could sattle in as well without too much problems. The logic is basicly very simple since it comes down to the logic: Every soldier that survives this day can do his duty tomorrow.

Which means that if something happens to you their chances for real victory are slim. Since they can't control the territory if you are dead. To return the favour you promise that you will provide food, shelter and taxes to them/their troops.

This is a risky move from your side but the fact is that this could be the bast chance of keeping your head on your shoulders. Plus you will actually keep some of the power while you wait for better days. Since organizing some real resistance would be suicidal on your part because their people are everywhere.
    At least not until things settle down.

This is my answer in short.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

The people on the front lines are not the people making the decisions. Why am I dying because some rich sob said I need to? I'm not. I'm not expendable and this is the only me I get. If I have the opportunity, I'll run. If death is inevitable, I'll find some way to make my death symbolic, make myself a martyr or otherwise make sure that it was "worth it" to die like that.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Face the million man army all on your own, and die fighting to your last breath.

Never surrender, never back down, give it your full to the end.

Let your soul carry you fighting until the end.
    Hell yeah, no retreat, no surrender. I'm going down fighting.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by antisocial one
    What means that if you are a good leader you will probably not even end up in this situation.
    Umm, no even good leaders fail. No leader win every battle in their lives, its about how to cope with the loss. Every war is a huge gamble.

Even your role model Kane lost the war many times the GDI Nod conflict, so your saying that good leaders does not lose wars is does not justify itself.

Anyway, this problem is what every loser (commander) in the war faces.

You could of course kill yourself in a bulker and die an honorable death like hitler.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

The best option so far is suggested by mathew Z, fleeing to a foreign power that is friendly to you and continue on the struggle.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Phantonym

Hmmm. Face it and fight it. Wait. Why would I be all alone against the million man army? Surviving this long seems suspicious, even if I am the leader

Buuuut...I might also pretend to die of the first little wound I get, hope that it will satisfy the enemy and they won't try to poke me any further, play dead until the battle is over and then be on my way to lick my wounds and plot against them.

MBTI
    infp

For some reason I was visualising this as a scene in which my back is literally against a wall, with an army spread out infront of me, no hope of retreat, nowhere to run, no chance of changing uniforms, literally a fight or beg for life situation in which the only option is to fight to my last dying breath.

However if it's that I still had some way to survive that didn't involve begging the enemy to spare my life, then of course, I'm taking that.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I actually think staying in fight mode would be the easiest thing to do. Waiting, or panicking, or suicide forces someone to acknowledge their doom, while fighting is almost like a refusal to accept this. Adrenaline blocks out pain too.

So I choose that.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

While facing the enemy sounds romantic, I'd run honestly, and continue the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Umm, no even good leaders fail. No leader win every battle in their lives, its about how to cope with the loss. Every war is a huge gamble.

Anyway, this is the dillema every loser in the war faces.

You could of course kill yourself in a bulker and die an honorable death like hitler.
    First, I said probably.

Second if you are good leader you will realize that avoiding conflict or direct conflict is a good idea almsot always.

You mention Hitler, towards my subjective opinion he did one capital mistake which is that he started a war when he wasn't really ready for it.

For more "practical" example imagine what would have happend if he waited for a few more years need for development of nuclear weapons? Not to mention that in this case the war would probably have started between USSR and someone else. What would probably open a number of options.