User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default That which doesn't kill you...

Do you think that experiencing very difficult situations is generally something positive that leaves you stronger, or something that can leave you empty, worn out, and dejected?

Share a difficult situation you've been through and whether or not you think it was beneficial for you in the long run and why?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    Do you think that experiencing very difficult situations is generally something positive that leaves you stronger, or something that can leave you empty, worn out, and dejected?

Share a difficult situation you've been through and whether or not you think it was beneficial for you in the long run and why?
    I think initially you are left empty, worn out and dejected. When you get that fighting spirit back after you've dusted yourself down and got back on the horse, you feel positive and stronger.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I've had both happen to me.

Some things are too traumatic to come out stronger and unscathed. Others were intense, painful but only temporary and were very educational.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Oberon

That which doesn't kill you...
    ...has made its last mistake.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Maybe the phrase should have been "That which doesn't cripple you, makes you stronger.

I'm lucky that the challenges I faced in the past were surmountable. If you made it through, then the mistake is a worthy life lesson. But if you don't? Then I guess it'll feel like a black mark against your record. You know how they portray it in books... they'll always come back to haunt you until you did manage to overcome them.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    I think it sort of does both simultaneously. Scars and injuries whether physical or psychological can be permanent, but the experience can also show a person more about their ability to adapt and find strength from other sources inside them. The more abstract types of injury I think play out much like the concrete ones. In the same way a visually impaired person's hearing becomes more adept, or someone who has lost the use of his legs might develop more upper body strength, someone with a psychological scar can develop other areas of strength that can compensate for the original loss.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Phantonym

..cripples you...

...maybe.

I believe that if people are willing to keep and open mind and learn, they can become stronger through difficulties.

But it depends on the person so very much. I've seen people crumble under something that might not be considered that difficult. They've just completely given up and end up like wrecks. But there are also people who have gone through atrocious things and are the salt of the earth today. So, the outcome all depends on whatever.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

... reveals who and what you are.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think it's about equal. I don't know that every bad experience I had improved me/made me stronger. Some very much the opposite. I really hate that phrase as well a God doesn't give more than you can handle and the like.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7?

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I think it's about equal. I don't know that every bad experience I had improved me/made me stronger. Some very much the opposite. I really hate that phrase as well a God doesn't give more than you can handle and the like.

let's hear it for baggage!