User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default Do you talk to God?

There is this interesting Christian group on my campus that hands out literature that basically says that I need to start reading the bible and following its word or I am going to hell. After spending a great deal of time studying the history of the Bible, I am not so inclined to take it literally.

I believe in God and I even talk to him and he has never seemed as angry as this group makes him out to be. Does anyone else just take the time to listen and hear that voice or am I just crazy? Usually when I am in nature and feeling the unity of the universe I can feel that connection and it's like I'm in touch with this infinite wisdom and love. Suddenly my path seems clear to me and I see the world in a whole new light.

Whenever one of those bible thumper types approaches me and tells me I need to get around to acknowledging my sins, I have to resist the temptation to ask if they ever actually talk to God and ask him what he wants. All God has ever asked of me is to be accepting and loving of those around me and to do my best to make the world a better place by helping when I can.

When I encounter the Bible thumpers who teach that salvation is for the few that have "accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior" (in the manner decided by the Bible thumpers, of course), I fear that they have never spoken to God. I cannot profess to have spoken to God specifically, but I always take it on faith that my internal cognitive musings and struggles are played out in His company.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Sometimes. I'm not really sure about my religion but whatever. The clouds remind me of him.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INFP

No, it's a bit hard to speak to something that doesn't exist. lol
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I do. I can't prove that he hears or that he exists, but I speak to him and believe that he hears. I don't think I could stop if I wanted to. It's like instinct or something.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    No, it's a bit hard to speak to something that doesn't exist. lol
    But he can be your imaginary friend and you can have very interesting conversations. Bonus: you can choose the answers to your questions

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    When I encounter the Bible thumpers who teach that salvation is for the few that have "accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior" (in the manner decided by the Bible thumpers, of course), I fear that they have never spoken to God. I cannot profess to have spoken to God specifically, but I always take it on faith that my internal cognitive musings and struggles are played out in His company.
    Of course you can dictate to Him.
    He is your creation.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    But he can be your imaginary friend and you can have very interesting conversations. Bonus: you can choose the answers to your questions
    My imaginary friend is an elf, she is soooo cool lol, she promises that one day, if I am extra good, I will be allowed to go to the far away lands too.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    I dont think there is anything instinctual about this, but no doubt it feels like it because you've been doing it for so long that it resembles something that is second nature to you.
    That's why I said it is like instinct or something. That would almost kind of make it a simile, wouldn't it?

For me, it is like instinct or something. That means that it feels as natural as protecting my children. I've heard it argued that humans don't even have instinct in the true sense. That wouldn't surprise me.

When we are talking about feelings and individual experience, it is acceptable to take other's perceptions at face value even if we think they are inaccurate or we don't understand them.

We are sharing information about ourselves and our feelings, not debating. Feelings and experiences are so subjective that to attempt to argue against them objectively is pretty futile, usually unnecessary, and occasionally insulting.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post

We are sharing information about ourselves and our feelings, not debating. Feelings and experiences are so subjective that to attempt to argue against them objectively is pretty futile, usually unnecessary, and occasionally insulting.
    Debating is an efficient method of sharing information.

I wasnt arguing against feelings, only pointing out what they truly represent.

And I never said that there is anything wrong with you saying that you talking to god is instinctual.( Hypotheticall, if you were saying that)You may have that as a personal belief, all I am pointing out is that it is false. But just because it is false, it doesn't mean that you must renounce it.

Though, since this thread is in the philosophy sector, I take it that our primary purpose is to explore philosophical questions. So, there is very little room for 'what is subjective' or what is 'person-centered', or whatever utterances are not conducive to philosophical discussions. If this was in the bonfire, it would be a whole another matter.

And no, when doing philosophy, it is not acceptable to take the perceptions of others at face value because this is not conducive to discovery of truth.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/