First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Debating is an efficient method of sharing information.

I wasnt arguing against feelings, only pointing out what they truly represent.

And I never said that there is anything wrong with you saying that you talking to god is instinctual.( Hypotheticall, if you were saying that)You may have that as a personal belief, all I am pointing out is that it is false. But just because it is false, it doesn't mean that you must renounce it.

Though, since this thread is in the philosophy sector, I take it that our primary purpose is to explore philosophical questions. So, there is very little room for 'what is subjective' or what is 'person-centered', or whatever utterances are not conducive to philosophical discussions. If this was in the bonfire, it would be a whole another matter.

And no, when doing philosophy, it is not acceptable to take the perceptions of others at face value because this is not conducive to discovery of truth.
    I think your Fe is failing you here. If you look at the pattern of the first several posts in this thread including the OP, you will see that it is one of sharing personal experiences in relation to talking to God.

That means that it would be appropriate for you, as an individual, to answer the question and elaborate upon your reasons for talking or refraining from talking to God rather than going through the posts of others arguing about the accuracy of their answers.

You could make a solid argument for why this thread should be in the bonfire instead of Philosophy and Spirituality, though.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I think your Fe is failing you here. If you look at the pattern of the first several posts in this thread including the OP, you will see that it is one of sharing personal experiences in relation to talking to God.

That means that it would be appropriate for you, as an individual, to answer the question and elaborate upon your reasons for talking or refraining from talking to God rather than going through the posts of others arguing about the accuracy of their answers.

You could make a solid argument for why this thread should be in the bonfire instead of Philosophy and Spirituality, though.

Indeed this thread belongs in the bonfire.

However, since it is here, I've decided to disregard everything that has been said in this thread and focus on the thesis at hand. (Question of 'Talking to God' from the standpoint of philosophy).

Though I do think, however, that me pointing out philosophical truths on this matter can help those who are concerned with this issue from the person-centered perspective. 'The truth shall set you free.'
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Moved from Philosophy and Spirituality
    BW, if you'd like to start a philosophical thread in the Philosophy and Spirituality section, you are welcome to do so. If you'd like the posts you've made in this thread moved to it let me know and I will move them.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Do please move them there.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Would you like to create and title the thread for me to move the posts to or would you like me to create and title the thread?
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

'What is God' is the title.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    'What is God' is the title.
    Okie doke. I'll have em there for you in a minute or two.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    XNTX

I don't believe in God, but I do believe in the potential for infinitely intelligent life forms. Given that there are suns in the universe at least 10 billion years older than our own (i.e. life forms could therefore be 10b years more advanced).

The crazy notion about the above is that a life form 10b years more advanced, may well have separated itself from the need of a physical (and therefore entropy) embodiment. A sort of omnipresent existence which is a virtual god like status.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    My imaginary friend is an elf, she is soooo cool lol, she promises that one day, if I am extra good, I will be allowed to go to the far away lands too.
    But how interested are you in being 'extra good,' Sahara?

MBTI
    INTJ

Stephen: [speaking heavenward] Him? That can't be William Wallace. I'm prettier than this man. All right Father, I'll ask him.
    Stephen: [to William] If I risk my neck for you, will I get a chance to kill Englishmen?
    Hamish: Is your father a ghost, or do you converse with the Almighty?
    Stephen: In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God.
    Stephen: [heavenward] Yes, Father.
    Stephen: [to William and the others] The Almighty says don't change the subject; just answer the fucking question.
    Hamish: Mind your tongue.
    Campbell: Insane Irish!

I thought this was an appropriate time for a Braveheart quote.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume