User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default How do you enter a thread?

If you post in a thread do you read the entire thread first, or do you jump in when you find the inspiration?

Do you self-censor if you feel you have nothing substantive to contribute or do you feel more of a need to express yourself?
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Normally I see a post that I can just make some comment on or something. Or I can just come in with some random nonsense or some scheme to take over the world. That is how I operate. And I never censor myself.

It seems to go pretty well for me
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

garbage

I read the thread title to see if I might have something to say, and also find posts to comment on.

I don't usually care if my response doesn't directly address the OP.. I figure I might be provoking some discussion anyway.

I do lean toward "not contributing" if I feel I don't have a lot to say, though.

I just raid a thread and pierce the skulls of people with my canines.

MBTI
    INTP

I read the whole thread, usually--nothing irritates me more than when someone, after 10 pages, goes, "I didn't read the thread, but blahblahblah..." It's like saying, "I didn't care what any of you had to say, but here's my golden opinion!" I like to read what people had to say, and I'll use the multiquote as I go to hold onto thoughts I want to respond to. Usually if it's a long thread, someone's already made the point I wanted to make. If I have something to add after that, I'll do it.
    Something Witty

Phantonym

Lurking -> 1. Reading from start to finish if the thread is interesting enough and 2. if I don't happen to pass out during reading because of boredom or short attention span for boring stuff at the moment -> In case of option 1: I post either a.) add something I feel is important that I really, really can't keep it to myself or b.) do not add something if I really, really don't have anything remotely intelligent to say or c.) add really, really fluff nonsense; In case of option 2: kthxbye -> Everything depends on my mood so...yeah...kthxbye

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BallentineChen View Post
    If you post in a thread do you read the entire thread first, or do you jump in when you find the inspiration?

Do you self-censor if you feel you have nothing substantive to contribute or do you feel more of a need to express yourself?
    I usually just reply to the OP, if I can think of anything to say. And after that, I look through the thread and reply to anything that seems interesting. See, I like to give my raw opinion without letting myself be influenced by what others wrote first, and THEN read and respond to them.

People like Tallulah make me feel bad about this, though. They think I'm being dismissive for that. Almost makes me feel like I have no business replying to any thread once it gets past a few posts if I haven't been participating from the start, because I don't feel like reading the whole thing that I had no part in. So basically, I avoid any thread I haven't posted in yet that has more than two pages already to avoid angering people like her.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I usually just reply to the OP, if I can think of anything to say. And after that, I look through the thread and reply to anything that seems interesting. See, I like to give my raw opinion without letting myself be influenced by what others wrote first, and THEN read and respond to them.

People like Tallulah make me feel bad about this, though. They think I'm being dismissive for that. Almost makes me feel like I have no business replying to any thread once it gets past a few posts if I haven't been participating from the start, because I don't feel like reading the whole thing that I had no part in. So basically, I avoid any thread I haven't posted in yet that has more than two pages already to avoid angering people like her.
    I can understand not wanting to be influenced by others' opinions, and I can understand having a thought you want to express before you get to the end of the thread.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I can understand not wanting to be influenced by others' opinions, and I can understand having a thought you want to express before you get to the end of the thread.
    Oh. Then I guess I misunderstood your post.

Sigh. INTPs are difficult to figure out. You never quite know what they mean.

It sounded like you were saying, "If you're not willing to read the whole thread, regardless of length, before replying to the OP, you have no business replying at all, and I'll think you're rude and annoying if you do."

I think I keep reading NTPs poorly expressed Fe until they reinforce their idea with Ti, because I'm Ne-blind.

Enneagram
    9w8

I (normally) only reply if my thoughts have not been said all ready, or if I think a certain angle was overlooked or dismissed. Or if someone's being ganged up on, so to speak, and I agree with them and wish to logically back it up.

I normally read through the entire thread, unless it's over twenty pages long... I don't respond to those on average (honestly not having the time, normally).

If, however, it is a topic that is pretty personal and subjective - one that involves us expressing personal opinion or experiences and not discussing ideas or whatnot - I won't always read through the whole thread if it's really long. My experience is Z, and reading through life stories A through Y will not change that.