User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I went to Disneyworld many times and I enjoyed it!
    I don't necessarily believe in the message and just enjoy myself..
    I've never been to Disneyland but to my understanding, it's a lot smaller..
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Why would I want to see a fake alpine village when I can just go visit the Alps? Why would I want to see a fantasy castle when I can see a real one? Why would I traipse through a simulated jungle when the world's full of actual rainforests? Why bother with a heavily-produced corporate fantasy when wider, more vivid worlds rest within the confines of a local library? Why concern myself with idle speculation about technological developments, when the true developments of the future rest within research journals, or even possibly the confines of my own mind?

Disney parks, at essence giant marketing campaigns, are exactly what Baudrillard was talking about. Nothing but hyperreality, candy for the brain without nutritive content. Forgive me if I would rather have the main course of exploring Planet Earth.

I think you're taking it a little too seriously. It's supposed to be fluffy entertainment....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

I enjoyed it. Then again I enjoy mostly family gathering sessions

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

who the hell doesn't like disney land?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think you're taking it a little too seriously. It's supposed to be fluffy entertainment....
    That's the point. Why be suckered into paying for fake, fluffy entertainment when there's an entire world of real entertainment, knowledge and experiences waiting outside your doorstep? It seemed more philanthropic in the '50s when it opened, given the high cost of travel at the time, but nowadays, travel has gotten to the point where a trip halfway around the world would cost just as much as a week at Walt Disney World. Why pay to live some corporate board's fantasy when I can create my own experiences in exotic locales worldwide?

The other problem I have is that the Disney parks have nothing distinct about them. Sure, the characters are unique, but what's the difference in seeing a man dressed as Donald Duck at the park, and actually watching or reading Donald Duck's adventures on TV or in a comic book? The latter is real, because the character is fictional, and the fantasy of their actions exists in someone's head. The representation is one thing; the story itself is the real part. The character at the park is simply a man dressed in a costume that does nothing consistent with the reality of the character as developed in the stories.

If I seem to take these things seriously, it most likely is the paternal instinct talking. I would not want my children to restrict themselves to the processed experience of a Disney park; I would want them to discover their own adventures and create their own fantasies in many real places all over the world.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    That's the point. Why be suckered into paying for fake, fluffy entertainment when there's an entire world of real entertainment, knowledge and experiences waiting outside your doorstep? It seemed more philanthropic in the '50s when it opened, given the high cost of travel at the time, but nowadays, travel has gotten to the point where a trip halfway around the world would cost just as much as a week at Walt Disney World. Why pay to live some corporate board's fantasy when I can create my own experiences in exotic locales worldwide?

If I seem to take these things seriously, it most likely is the paternal instinct talking. I would not want my children to restrict themselves to the processed experience of a Disney park; I would want them to discover their own adventures and create their own fantasies in many real places all over the world.

Who says going to D-land once is restricting yourself? It's not like once you go there you can never go anywhere else.

And maybe a week a Disneyworld is very expensive (IDK, really), but if you live in CA, then $50 for a day is a lot cheaper than any plane ticket + hotel cost to go somewhere else. When I was a teen I had a year pass for $100, and it was just a place to hangout, like an arcade or mall or whatever teens do.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

I have never been there but Disneyland looks like SF way of having fun. Which means that I would probably be bored there for the most part.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I have never been there but Disneyland looks like SF way of having fun. Which means that I would probably be bored there for the most part.
    I also find the experience to be boring, but I am fascinated by watching those who don't.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I don't like the whole pressure and "you're supposed to like this and find this important! What? You're not having the time of your LIFE, what are you, ungrateful?" aspect of it, I never did. ...There's a comformity aspect to it that grates on me and the idea that my imagination and idea of fun needs to come into line with someone's else vision.
    I see, very well said.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Such parks are awful. I hate spectacles.