Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Everyone loves Disneyland.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by SecantSquared View Post
    i love the roller coasters, but other than that, it's not that much fun. the "magic" doesn't really do much for me. I do see how it could for others, however.
    This is pretty much the same way I feel about it... I love the coasters, but most of the rest of it's just "okay" (truly, I just sort of walk by most of the other attractions without noticing them). Having said that, I *did* enjoy going both times I did - partially the coasters and fireworks, mostly the great company.

But for pure coaster-enjoyment, I agree with Uber - Cedar Point's the place to go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    You never eat dessert either, do you?
    I enjoy the main course much more... but a light treat is nice every once in a while. Just don't see taking a week out of my life and $5000 out of my bank account for dessert, that's all.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Giggly, dear, it appears there is no type consistency.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    It can be an awfully sensor-ish experience with the crowds and spectacles, I know, but isn't it meant to titillate your imagination mostly? That's what's mostly happened to me when I've gone. Or am I wrong and Disneyland is mostly just a Sensory experience?
    I don't like crowds. I don't like the whole pressure and "you're supposed to like this and find this important! What? You're not having the time of your LIFE, what are you, ungrateful?" aspect of it, I never did. Even as a child I hated this aspect of any kind of formal entertainment. I had one older brother who was always getting on my case because I didn't like these sorts of things, I'd have rather read a book or played by myself in the backyard. There's a comformity aspect to it that grates on me and the idea that my imagination and idea of fun needs to come into line with someone's else vision.

Why would I want to see a fake alpine village when I can just go visit the Alps? Why would I want to see a fantasy castle when I can see a real one? Why would I traipse through a simulated jungle when the world's full of actual rainforests? Why bother with a heavily-produced corporate fantasy when wider, more vivid worlds rest within the confines of a local library? Why concern myself with idle speculation about technological developments, when the true developments of the future rest within research journals, or even possibly the confines of my own mind?

Disney parks, at essence giant marketing campaigns, are exactly what Baudrillard was talking about. Nothing but hyperreality, candy for the brain without nutritive content. Forgive me if I would rather have the main course of exploring Planet Earth.
    Yes, I agree here. Why do I need someone else's expensive, corporate fanatsy. I'd lean towards history and fiction rather than technology but the feeling is the same.

MBTI
    INTP

What's not to love? (Besides the heat and the zillion kids.) As a non-roller coaster person, I love theme parks like Disney. Even if you didn't ride a lot of rides, there are lots of fun attractions, and even the kiddie rides are kinda fun for me. Love the virtual ones, especially!
    Something Witty

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

It was pretty Boring, if not completely miserable. 8 hours in 90+ weather, combined with maybe 1 or 2 interesting ride in each park does not make a good deal or a good time. If they turned down the heat and the insanely long waits, then maybe it'd be a good time.

Basically when me and my parents were there, we pretty much rode what was interesting there and made a bunch of capitalism jokes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The last time I went there was when they were building Islands of Adventure.

Now that's a park I want to go to.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Disneyland (CA) was fine and the kids loved it but they were at an age where they could enjoy it (6 and 10). The loved Universal and go every time they visit their grandparents. We all prefer Ceder Point and go most every fall (my MIL lives just a few minutes away). They've never expressed a desire to go to Disney (Fla.) but we did take a Disney Cruise last year. That was much better than I expected and having kids of much different ages, there was something for all of them to do.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I love thrill rides but I abhor waiting for an hour just to read this sign "from this point, your wait is 4 hours". All for a 2 minute ride. No thanks.

And the ads at Epcot make me nauseous. It was disgusting that everytime you looked at a monitor there was a 2 minute presentation on Coca Cola before you could watch the thing you came to see. It was mentally exhausting.

But I find the concept of disney dollars amazing. They have a pretty sweet racket going on there.