User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Thread: Quirks

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I have trouble remembering nouns. I tend to say "thingie" a lot, sometimes with multiple thingies-per-sentence. I also suck at names.
    Oh yes! I do the same thingie as you, Doris.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I eat sandwiches upside-down because I like the top better than the bottom and I save it for last.
    Ivy, you have me completely mystified. How do you eat a sandwich upside-down? Maybe one of my quirks is trying to figure out things like that.

My main quirk is that there are certain things that just really disturb me. They can appear somewhat random to other people, but it's very clear to me. I remember one tree trunk that was just really thick and twisted with a big, heavy branch sticking out exactly perpendicular. It made me sick.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    Ivy, you have me completely mystified. How do you eat a sandwich upside-down? Maybe one of my quirks is trying to figure out things like that.

My main quirk is that there are certain things that just really disturb me. They can appear somewhat random to other people, but it's very clear to me. I remember one tree trunk that was just really thick and twisted with a big, heavy branch sticking out exactly perpendicular. It made me sick.
    Wow that's something else. I totally can get sick looking at things like that. UGH!
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post

I tie my shoes by making "bunny ears" and tying those together b/c I never learned the "right" way.
    I do that too. The 'right' way completely mystifies me. However, the 'bunny ear' sucks since the tie isn't all that tight. I end up having to double-knot my shoelaces, even as an adult. The only think goofier than that would be if I were still wearing velcro shoes.

Lets see, I find reading analog clock faces to be quite the challenge; it usually takes me a good 30 seconds to decide on what time the clock is displaying. However, the binary wristwatch I wear is a breeze...

I have a very distinct laugh, so much so that I've had former teachers come up to me at the store saying they heard and recognized me from across the building and thought they'd say hi.
    INTP

MBTI
    INFJ

In 6th grade, my friends and I learned the sign-language alphabet so we could talk in class and not get in trouble. Since then, when my mind is idly contemplating something, I often find myself spelling the words with my fingers.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    In 6th grade, my friends and I learned the sign-language alphabet so we could talk in class and not get in trouble. Since then, when my mind is idly contemplating something, I often find myself spelling the words with my fingers.
    That's classic! I love it.

The closest I come to an automatic response like that is that I've played WoW far too much... so that when I look at the scenery from my car window, I actually start seeing the scenery of Westfall and Elwynn Forest and imagining the best ways to navigate and where to look out for monsters.

OMW's "laugh" quirk is good too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Originally Posted by Daphne
    I remember one tree trunk that was just really thick and twisted with a big, heavy branch sticking out exactly perpendicular. It made me sick.
    Heh I don't get it! Why does that bother you?

Im trying to think of some wierd quirks that I have. I will ask my husband and get back to you :P

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I always eat Mike & Ikes in the order of Pink, Orange, Yellow, Green, Red.
    I will often turn the cans of food so the labels are facing me straight on, even though I may not need to read them to know what's in the can.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Heh, I eat sandwiches from the outside to the inside, saving the best for last.

I tie my shoes by making "bunny ears" and tying those together b/c I never learned the "right" way.
    Sometimes I seem to untie shoes in an odd way, so that they get tangled into little knotsies. Then I have to use the sensing skills of my fingers to untangle them. I'll sense "I feel some slack here, but I should leave it be" and then later "I'll give this part a tug". You might think "All there is to UNtying shoes is pulling the string evenly in opposite directions from both sides", and I would agree with you. So, I'm not sure how the knots get created. The obvious answer would seem that I actually erred in the tying, not the untying, and maybe that's what is happening. But I know how to tie my shoes, and it is a habit with me. I wonder why I would tie them sometimes in ways that create a knot ? Sometimes when untwisting "twisties" ( wire with a plastic coating ) I will think I am going in the correct direction to unravel them, and realize that I must reverse direction. Or I'll say "No. I was on the right track to begin with. I just need to lift this part here out of the groove a bit, before unwinding."

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I like crunchy things, not soft things, so I will usually eat brownies, enchiladas, or whatever else as close to the edge of the pan as possible.
    ....And... I like black jelly beans and licorice.
    I often like pieces of pizza close to the edge. When I'm eating it by hand. It's partly for the texture and partly to avoid getting dripped on while biting. Some of the "stuffed" or "deep dish" pizza I eat with a fork, unless it's one of those deals where you're just supposed to stand there in a crowd with a little paper plate and a good-for-nothing plastic utensil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    There are times where I think about a word, and wonder if that's the right word. Like the word "window." In one of those moments, I'll think about the word "window" and think that it suddenly sounds completely foreign and I'm at a loss for (just a second or two) what it means! It happens with objects too...they seem completely alien for some reason, then reality slips back into place and everything is as familiar as it should be.
    Yes, this happens to me, too. I think I did it most recently with the word "novel", thinking "that can't be right."

I couldn't picture what Ivy was talking about either, on the sandwich's "up" side. I do enjoy sometimes saving a center for last. I used to put a lump of brown sugar in the center of my oatmeal. And just chip at it a little as I ate around it. Then eat the sweet center at the end.

As a kid, when I'd be mowing our family's yard, I'd make up little rules to make the chore less boring. For example, I'd often reserve or set aside certain patches of grass that did not have trees/flowers sitting in them as obstructions, and which were a breeze to mow. I'd save these "pleasurable" parts for last. I would pretend to "trap" certain invisible gremlins in them, who weren't allowed to step on already-mowed portions of the yard. It was hot out and I would be uncomfortable and sweating under the summer sun. I would pretend that the gremlins were jeering at me and playing pranks while I went around and around with the mower on our huge yard, with the gremlins forced to gradually retreat towards the unmowed center of the yard, or one of these unmowed patches. Then, at the end, I would pretend to run over them with the mower, grinding them up.

Seeing the twisted tree as something bad might happen with me, or might not, depending on how my imagination is working. I've seen cars with jagged rusty bumpers or sides and thought "I'd hate to get dragged across that in an accident" even though there was no pending collision whatsoever. Certain cacti look painful, too. Especially after hearing stories about people getting dragged through them. A friend of mine had come in too fast on a landing while waterskiing barefoot and coasting onto the beach. He ended up racing right through the beach and into the brush because his momentum was so high, and was Ok, since we lived in Ohio and there are no cacti there. But I might think about that as I see a cactus, strangely.

I'll often have odd thoughts, such as one I had the other day when watching a couple guys warming up for batting in a baseball game. They were swinging three or four bats at once, so that they would feel limbered up when it came time to swing just the one. I thought "Why don't they make special huge bats for that?" and chuckle to myself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm mystified by your mystification! What's unclear about it? Is it the distinction between the "up" and "down" sides of a slice of bread?

Here's a visual aid:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Ah. I was thinking of a sandwich on a bun which could easily be flipped upside down, but that way works, too.

Edit: I'm confident my quirks are legion, but the one that comes immediately to mind is that I don't know left and right. I always have to stop and think about it and even then I get it wrong as often as not.

My husband calls me his "little Ninevite."
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers