User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Are you capable of being entirely intrinsincly motivated?

a simple question, and before reading this further, keep in mind it is a question that has its basis in a hypothetical situation that is either very hard to achieve, or impossible
    imagine humanity reaching a level of knowledge that allows it to eliminate the need of currency, and everything one needs (clothes, car, fuel, housing, food) completely free at any given time while working extremely short periods of time and a very low difficulty level, and even that work would have to be done by let say, 15% of the total population
    so my idea is, are you able to motivate yourself to get a job you know will not give you any sort of material advantage? would you willingly apply as a teacher, scientist, farmer, just because you like to do it?

Default Alternating between the Intrinsic and the Extrinsic

Hey Penguin, you funny little creature, waddle over here and lend an ear.

And yeah, yeah, I am capable of being entirely intrinsically motivated but only for certain periods of time.

I am intrinsically motivate when I am in flow.

In fact being intrinsically motivated puts me into flow.

Also in flow I lose track of time.

And most interestingly, in flow I experience 100% satisfaction, not 90%, not 99.9% satisfaction, but 100% satisfaction.

Of course this only occurs when I am in flow.

At first I could only achieve flow when I was by myself with a lot of time. But now I am starting to take flow out into my daily life. And I am surprised it still works. But I am most surprised that it is not only accepted by others but liked as well.

This is wonderful for me and I enjoy every day.

Of course I am still aware of the divide between intrinsic motivation and extrinsic motivation. So I alternate between the two. But I favour the intrinsic.

And the intrinsic favours me.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Yes. 2 things I read about Freud (even though I disagree with half of his theory, I still find him interesting to some degree), he said that 2 things that keep people motivated in life are work/love.

It is true, I think. If we spend 1/3rd of our lives sleeping (assuming we can afford to), what else are we going to do with the other 2/3rds (assuming we're normal, happy, healthy human beings)?

Even if we win the lottery, travel, splurge on material things? In the end, we still want happiness within ourselves/with others. What other ways can we relate to one another? Through our social interactions (relationships), and work (as service to others, including ourselves). They both intertwine with one another, it seems.

Our work, passion, is something that we offer to help not only ourselves but to those who make life worth living..

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Yep. Personally, yes. Can, and do.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    Yes. 2 things I read about Freud (even though I disagree with half of his theory, I still find him interesting to some degree), he said that 2 things that keep people motivated in life are work/love.

It is true, I think. If we spend 1/3rd of our lives sleeping (assuming we can afford to), what else are we going to do with the other 2/3rds (assuming we're normal, happy, healthy human beings)?

Even if we win the lottery, travel, splurge on material things? In the end, we still want happiness within ourselves/with others. What other ways can we relate to one another? Through our social interactions (relationships), and work (as service to others, including ourselves). They both intertwine with one another, it seems.

Our work, passion, is something that we offer to help not only ourselves but to those who make life worth living..
    What is interesting is that if we are motivated by work and love, we are extrinsically motivated. For instance, we earn our bread by the sweat of our brow. And in love we are seeking extrinsic rewards from our significant other.

However in flow we are intrinsically motivated. And Freud did not write about flow. We had to wait until the arrival of Mihaly to read about flow.

Freud wrote about the necessary discontents of civilization based on the extrinsic rewards of work and love.

While Mihaly was able to articulate flow and lay it out for us.

Since WW II we have solved the problem of scarcity. And it has only been solved in developed countries particularly the West.

Freud wrote in the time of scarcity which had lasted 200,000 years. While Mihaly wrote in the time of plenty which was barely 40 years old.

So no wonder so many of us still have the mindset of scarcity, and the habits, mores, beliefs and morality of scarcity.

And oddly enough the very idea of plenty makes us feel guilty and afraid it will be taken from us. So we voluntarily deprive ourselves and make war sacrifice whenever our feelings of guilt threaten to overwhelm us - so naturally all our wars are defensive - all our wars are only fought in self defence - because we are defending ourselves from guilt at our plenty and overcoming scarcity.

While a few of us, starting with the hippies of the 60s, have tumbled to the idea that we are free for the first time in 200,000 years from scarcity, at least in developed countries.

Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden, a free cornucopia, into the world of scarcity where they had to earn their bread with the sweat of their brows and bear the pain of childbirth.

But we have entered a new cornucopia, a new garden of eden, a consumer paradise. But we can't believe it. We denigrate it. We spoil it for ourselves with greed and competition. We are defensive and suspicious.

We drive forward into paradise looking in the rear vision mirror. So all we see are deprivation and misery.

And all we need to do is to turn our heads and look through the windscreen at the plenty unfolding before us.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Sure, but neither scientist (boring) or teacher (urgh) or farmer (boring).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    are you able to motivate yourself to get a job you know will not give you any sort of material advantage? would you willingly apply as a teacher, scientist, farmer, just because you like to do it?
    Yes, absolutely. I spend countless hours already doing things, mostly reading and researching, that yield no material gain.