User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: Time Travel

MBTI
    INFP

Either the US prairie before mid-1800s or Victorian London.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Which part of the Victorian? Early, mid or late?

I have a big heavy book full of English writers pre-Vic and all through-out the era. Fascinating! What a time to be alive!

MBTI
    INFP

All of it, Pink. Love the poetry, the dawning social responsibility awareness. . . Not talking colonialism, of course. The psychology! The clothes! Jack the Ripper! Hee.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

The 1950'ies as a teenager
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    All of it, Pink. Love the poetry, the dawning social responsibility awareness. . . Not talking colonialism, of course. The psychology! The clothes! Jack the Ripper! Hee.
    We would have kicked his butt for hours. HOURS, I say!!

I'm a big fan of the whole era myself! I found myself really liking Walter Pater, John Stuart Mill, Ruskin, Kipling, etc. I think my all-time favorite poem (besides Keats' "Lamia") is William Morris' "Haystack in the Floods". I'll have to post it to my blog.

I even got a big hate-on for Thomas Carlyle because he was a total jerk and kept picking on Charles Lamb (who I see as a very kind, sensitive man). Can't deal with Swinburne either. He gives me the creeps.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    The 1600's? The 1700's ? The 1800's? The 1930's? The 1960's? If you could live in another time which would it be?
    I'd have to say that my answer, no matter which age I lived in, would likely be "the next one." Wanting to see what comes next would always be a draw.

But as for when I would be happiest, day to day? Probably pre-European Native American civilization in the Pacific Northwest (I love the weather there). Like FMW stated, technology is a wonderful thing, but it tends to just amplify expectations and get the rat-race hamster wheel spinning faster and faster. Stress == BAD.

I've spent a couple of weeks out in the mountains just doing very simple stone-age lifestyle things, and aside from the physical tribulations (which you get used to), it was very, very nice in a lot of ways.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

It seems like most people who want the known choose recent history and most people who want unknown choose the future.

It'd be pretty impossible for me to give up the modern day forever (and the people I know and my knowledge and moral reasoning). But if approached as a 1 or 2-yr "study abroad" program, I think I'd jump at the chance.

It's not so much that modern technology constrains us as much as it is our mental mindest. Better technology has been a pursuit advantageous through most of human history. From the first person to throw a spear to the creation of vaccines. But we are set in a certain mental pattern of our times.

Not that past times have fewer mental blocks (and some difficult physical ones to boot). But different ones. To flex a new part of my brain would be a magnificent learning experience(and likely, my body, my couch potato-ness sobs).

For example, I rely a lot on written language in order to understand and analyze the world. What is it like where most people can't read or write? A world where it is not so important to "coin" a word or phrase for a new idea- it is important to show. Where a story, a history, a meaning isn't quoted/rehashed- it's experienced over every time.

A world where the mixing and blending of local culturse and religions is not (I recently read Herodotus's description of Egyptian culture during his time and his discussion on the travel of local Gods to new areas using different names is fascinating) as necessarily opposed- since perhaps without as many labels, they aren't as divided into "this" group or "that" group- allowing the degrees in between- the ambiguity of fewer words.

Plus, I'd like to see what it'd be like to live in a matriarchal society for once. To feel like the more powerful gender.

All supposing I'd survive this trip. And be able to assimilate in some way. Though if I died, I'd be dead and wouldn't care either way. And everyone has to die somewhere.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

For a 1-2yr study, I would enjoy living in the days of roughly ~25,000 BC. Maybe meet the Neanderthals and observe their differences to the Cro-Magnons.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ISTx

I'd like to be the age I am now but living in the 1940's.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Would you like to serve in WWII?