sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    The 1950s/60s. I would love to live in a time when the first astronauts were trailblazers and explorers (and maybe be one!) Not like today when it's just another ho-hum mathematician on the space version of a Greyhound.
    The problem is knowing the era ended. Would be better to have your memory wiped before you step into the time machine!

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I'd wanna move forward in order to witness new things or way, way back, BC to witness what is now unknown.

I'm sorry; I like the security and convenience of modern-day medicine, technology, and so on - WAY too much.

As others have said, the future seems much more appealing. I'm not saying the past isn't FASCINATING; in fact, if I think on it a little more, I could probably think of a good era I'd like to go back to. But man, modern day, you just can't beat it, all things considered.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    I'm sorry; I like the security and convenience of modern-day medicine, technology, and so on - WAY too much.

As others have said, the future seems much more appealing. I'm not saying the past isn't FASCINATING; in fact, if I think on it a little more, I could probably think of a good era I'd like to go back to. But man, modern day, you just can't beat it, all things considered.
    Actually, part of the appeal of going into the past for me is that I'd get to throw off the shackles of technology. I'd appreciate living in an age where science was not the primary means people thought they could improve their lives.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    The 1600's? The 1700's ? The 1800's? The 1930's? The 1960's? If you could live in another time which would it be?
    The height of the British Empire when you could travel anywhere in the world without a passport - and get a cup of tea.

I understand that technology can be shackling. I suppose it would be nice to remove that distraction and allow for time to focus on other things. But what about medical technologies available today that could save your life or the life of a loved one? What about all the cool conveniences and playthings you have today, like the internet, cell phones, etc? Modern-day just seems a lot safer to me.
    For you, and I, wooo

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

19th century or the Aptian stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    I understand that technology can be shackling. I suppose it would be nice to remove that distraction and allow for time to focus on other things. But what about medical technologies available today that could save your life or the life of a loved one? What about all the cool conveniences and playthings you have today, like the internet, cell phones, etc? Modern-day just seems a lot safer to me.
    I don't think those things make us happier though. They only make us UNhappy if we don't have them because we're used to them. I think that past a basic level of stable sustenance, technology's effect on quality of life is pretty much a wash. After all, medical advances only raise expectations...we don't live longer or better today relative to our expectations than we ever have.

Here's a great example: FedEx is a great technology because it can get something around the world overnight instead of in a week or two. But it really doesn't save us any work or allow us any more leisure, because the expectation changed along with the technology. FedEx would be brilliant if we still had two weeks to get things around the world...that's when it would be truly a blessing. But now we're expected to get things there overnight. All that does is make the hamster wheel go faster.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

I'd agree that expectations and potentialities maintain basically the same ratio throughout time. But just because the ratio remains the same doesn't completely nix the fact that a lot of things ARE much faster, better, safer and more effective.

I'd also agree that things are more fast-paced these days because of technology, which can be a drain on time and energy.

But what other primary means of improving one's life, besides technology, could one utilize better in olden days?
    For you, and I, wooo