User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Time Travel

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Yeah...thanks for the history lesson and clearing up my confusion between reality and fiction.
    Whew...I thought you were going to be mad at me.

I hate it when people are mad at me.

MBTI
    INFJ

I would go pay a visit to Virginia Woolf.

Jesus would also be high on the priority list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ENTP

There are so many times I would go to and so many things I would do. But first I would learn what kind of effects I could have on the future. Starting at moving things a few minutes before and ending at whatever comes to mind.

For instance if circumstances allowed for it I would like to butcher a pig, take its remains back into time, then feed it to itself, stay with the pig until its next meal is due and repeat the process until the pig is grown. Then I would test the pig for effects.

I think it would also be cool if circumstances would allow me to go back in time then return to the present only to return instantly back to the same time, in a slightly different location ( about 3 feet ), each time Chanting Ugabaga ugabaga before returning. I would do this during the Olympic games in front of all the cameras. Then it would appear to the rest of the world that 1,000,000 me's suddenly appeared, chanted, and then left.

It would be kind of fun.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

I would like to head into the future - to be honest, I think the past is not nearly as nice as we remember it to be, and besides, we all know what's happened, anyway. But I'd be really, really curious to see what the world is like in 20, 50, 100 years time.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    eNFP

I know this is going even further off-topic, but...

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't consider it a positive or any type of feather in my cap. They may consider me "one of them" but I don't consider them "one of us" exactly because they so often need reminding. So racial topics get avoided or there are silences when they do come up. This is so much a matter of perspective and I've really had to overlook this when it comes to certain topics with some of my friends.
    To be honest, I think a lot of caucasian people (especially of my age) in typically 'white' countries genuinely forget there was ever (and still is) an issue with racial issues. (Ugh, I know that's a dodgy statement, but you get what I mean.)

I was sitting late at night in a studio room at uni finishing off an end-of-semester project just a few weeks ago, listening to music and chatting with a couple of friends who were also doing the same project. There were also another group of five or so students down the other end of the room. They were international students, and were conversing in another language.

It was pretty late (like 4am, maybe), when someone was asking about a guy who had popped into the room several times during the night. The conversation (involving my two friends) went roughly like this:

Friend 1: "What was that guy's name, you know..?"

Someone Else: "You mean the white guy?"

F1: "Well, yeah, I wasn't going to say that, but..."

F2: "Haha, well, we were all thinking it. But we're all asians in here. Except for arcticangel, but she's really an asian at heart!"

At which point I grinned and didn't say much (how do you respond to that? But I did appreciate the compliment ), but later it really sort of struck me. I never use 'asian' or 'white' (or anything similar) to describe anyone - to be honest I hardly even notice, beyond that person's appearance. It just isn't an issue. And yet my friends still identify themselves very strongly as 'asians', despite the fact they may have been born/lived their entire lives in Australia. There's still that seperation, which from my perspective simply doesn't exist.

I mean, I hadn't even noticed I was the only 'white' person in the room.

But then again, what difference does it make? Why are two people with scandinavian heritage and a person with italian heritage both considered 'white', while someone with chinese heritage is considered 'asian', and a person with african heritage is considered 'black', like entirely seperate and distinguishable entities? The italian and scandinavian likely have about as little in common culture-wise as either of them might with the 'asian' person or 'black' person. It seems trivial, to me.

And yet in the past it was a major cause of prejudice and hatred... and the 'rift', if you will, is still there - and very prominent in many parts of the world. I'll admit I forget that, sometimes.

But *shrug*.

Anyway, proteanmix, it sounds to me like what happened with your friends was purely an issue of them seeing you as another person, with your race being a secondary, irrelevant thing. The fact that it was you who reminded them of it is, well, interesting to me.

You mention that 'racial topics get avoided ... silences when they come up'... and of course it's easy to avoid them, because of the literal minefield (so very, very easy to cause offence, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm running through that minefield now), but it sounds like you're not exactly happy with that. What would you prefer to happen? In an ideal world, how would this all be handled?

Anyway, that's enough for one post, and if I'm being horrible and stupidly blundering over something I shouldn't, please just ignore me.

Thread successfully derailed.
    ANFP:

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    I know this is going even further off-topic....

...It was pretty late (like 4am, maybe), when someone was asking about a guy who had popped into the room several times during the night. The conversation (involving my two friends) went roughly like this:

Friend 1: "What was that guy's name, you know..?"

Someone Else: "You mean the white guy?"

F1: "Well, yeah, I wasn't going to say that, but..."

F2: "Haha, well, we were all thinking it. But we're all asians in here. Except for arcticangel, but she's really an asian at heart!"

At which point I grinned and didn't say much (how do you respond to that? But I did appreciate the compliment ), but later it really sort of struck me. I never use 'asian' or 'white' (or anything similar) to describe anyone.....
    For me it makes no sense not to mention it when needed for communication. More specifically I don't know why anyone would not mention skin color, or race in order to simplefy communication. To avoid using race, or skin color to simplify communication seems awkward in itself.

Example:

There is one black guy named John in a crowd of 400:

White guy 1: Look that's John, thats the guy I was telling you about.

asian guy: where?

white guy 1: Right there in the red shirt.

asian guy: uh.. which one? There are like 50 guys with red shirts over there.

white guy 1: the one next to that girl with the green shirt.

asian guy: I don't see a girl with a green shirt.

white guy 1: That one right there.

asian guy: Oh you mean the teal shirt?

white guy 1: Teal, Green, whatever.

asian guy: Ok then I see her, but there are like 4 guys over there with red shirts on. which one is it?

white guy 1: Not the taller one, and not the shorter one, but one of the other two.

asian guy: Well which one?

white guy 1: the one on the right.

asian guy: Oh ok. Thats the guy that you went swimming with?

white guy 1: yep that's him. The guy in the red shirt.

To me, it's easier and more effective for the conversation to go like this.

Example 2:

white guy 1: Look that's John, thats the guy I was telling you about.
    asian guy: where?
    white guy 1: The black guy.
    asian guy: Oh ok. Thats the guy that you went swimming with?

I think that it's crazy for the conversation to go any other way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'd go back in time to when humans were in the intermediate stage between apes and modern humans to see what kind of people they were. I'd also check out the pyramids to prove once and for all that aliens built them.

I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of disturbing things. Your mere presence will change the present in some way which will change the future in major ways, so attempting to be still and quiet is pointless. Maybe the present was predicated on my going back and changing things.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'd also check out the pyramids to prove once and for all that aliens built them.
    Would a place and time in Roswell NM. be a destinion of interest then also?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of disturbing things. Your mere presence will change the present in some way which will change the future in major ways, so attempting to be still and quiet is pointless. Maybe the present was predicated on my going back and changing things.
    Depending on whether or not string theory is correct. String theory gives us a way to time travel without getting the entire universe caught in some sort of endless loop for a stupid decision made by a time traveler.

MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by samIam View Post
    For me it makes no sense not to mention it when needed for communication. More specifically I don't know why anyone would not mention skin color, or race in order to simplefy communication. To avoid using race, or skin color to simplify communication seems awkward in itself.
    Okay, point taken, and in such a situation, it does become impractical to avoid race/skin colour. But how often, in day to day situations, would it really be necessary to do so? In which the only distinguishing feature that would seperate John from the 400 other people is his skin colour?

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is not that I deliberately avoid using 'asian' or 'black' as terms to describe someone, (and despite saying 'never', I'll admit I was generalising. I'm sure I've done it before) just that beyond someone's simple appearance, it simply doesn't occur to me that there is a difference between them and me. So it sort of surprised me that there was still quite a clear sense of seperation when coming back the other way.

Even though their families were from different countries in Asia (one Japan and one Malaysia), and they couldn't understand the other students (who I believe were Chinese and speaking Mandarin), they still considered themselves more of a group as 'asians', as opposed to 'australians', or some other category.

(Yes, I know the situation is different in the US, but I'm trying not to step outside my experiences and talk about something I don't know too much about. )

So, yeah, it just caused me to stop and consider, but I'll admit the whole thing still baffles me a little.
    ANFP:

9w1 so/sx/sp

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    Even though their families were from different countries in Asia (one Japan and one Malaysia), and they couldn't understand the other students (who I believe were Chinese and speaking Mandarin), they still considered themselves more of a group as 'asians', as opposed to 'australians', or some other category.
    Don't forget asian countries are usually collectivistic in nature. Compare that to western cultures... there's a gap. So yes, there's a tendency for us to group based on asian vs non-asian, as much as I hate to admit. I think ethnocentrism, this "us against them" mentality, had been an evolutionary adaptive trait... not so anymore in this multicultural world of cause. However it's still there in the back of our minds. I think awareness of this bias will help in to consciously override acting upon such tendencies.

That was a major derail...

Time travel! uhhhh would there be time paradox? I would really like to use it to figure out what I actually want to do in life.... That and travel way way back to see the "big bang" or the "collapse expansion" of the universe etc. Although I don't think you can physically survive in those conditions though... maybe travel in corporal forms?