User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Time Travel

MBTI
    INFP

One choice, or one trip wouldn't be enough, because I would want to go back to each so called miracle of the abrahamic god to see with my own eyes what really happened.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INTJ

500 years into the future. I would give a lot to see how society and technology develops over that time span.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I would keep going back in time a single millisecond until I created an entire army of myself.
    But who would be in charge?

(Answer: "Me!")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

This topic evolved into a pretty good discussion I had with some college friends of mine a couple of years ago. We were watching Sense and Sensibility (or some Jane Austen movie) and my friends were like, oh we'd love to go back to this time period! And I rolled my eyes and said I wouldn't. Of course they asked why and I said because I'd be a slave! It was dead silence while people took in the gravity of the statement. It hurt a little bit because these are people I considered friends, and it just showed me how rarely they thought about what it's like to be me in our own little group (so I'd basically figured out what they thought about it on a larger scale). Statements would be made that I just laughed off or ignored, but I couldn't let this one pass without giving my perspective.

This has always been the funny thing with me and history and why the past has never held much appeal to me. I much prefer from this moment on. How far back could I go: 100, 200, 500, 1000 years? Is there any point in time that it would be OK for me to travel back when either my race or sex wouldn't be a big deal? I have no desire to see dinosaurs or sail with Christopher Columbus. I wouldn't mind witnessing the beginning of the universe. I wouldn't want some invisibility cloak so I could silently observe. I'd like to be an active participant. So I decided I'm not going to sacrifice the most salient parts of my identity just to experience history. I'll move forward and I can move into the future as the complete me.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But who would be in charge?

(Answer: "Me!")
    I figure at least in the immediate future, the first few months or so, our goals would be precisely in line and it wouldn't be an issue. After that, I chose to keep going a millisecond into the past rather than into the future so that only the original me would be aware of my plan to eliminate all of my "time clones" when the time came.

(Although for safety's sake it would probably be better to go back a day into the past, well before having the idea of eliminating my clones, and tell my past self some BS story, and then from that point keep going back a millisecond. This does raise the question, though: would my past self divine what my eventual intentions were for the clones given that he would share my precise mental faculties and temperament? Answer: yes, of course. Thus ruining my latest overwrought plan for world-domination... That and, you know, the fact that I don't have a time machine anyhow.)
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

...Take that, thread!
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    This topic evolved into a pretty good discussion I had with some college friends of mine a couple of years ago. We were watching Sense and Sensibility (or some Jane Austen movie) and my friends were like, oh we'd love to go back to this time period! And I rolled my eyes and said I wouldn't. Of course they asked why and I said because I'd be a slave!
    That is the proverbial "bucket of cold water" -- the contextual correct comment that still turns a conversation on its head and reframes it for everyone.

It was dead silence while people took in the gravity of the statement. It hurt a little bit because these are people I considered friends, and it just showed me how rarely they thought about what it's like to be me in our own little group (so I'd basically figured out what they thought about it on a larger scale). Statements would be made that I just laughed off or ignored, but I couldn't let this one pass without giving my perspective.
    I understand why it would hurt, although I don't think it indicated they were slighting the friendship in any way by not thinking of it before you mentioned it.

(It is totally alien to their life experience, and they also consider you "one of them" or them "one of you" without even reconsideration -- which is actually a positive -- so it is a shock to them to be reminded that not so long ago, there were some very clear and sharp distinctions drawn by race... and for some parts of the culture, those distinctions still do persist at some level.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    ...Take that, thread!
    I can't believe you would just use yourself to conquer the world, then merciless rid yourself of yourself now that your usefulness had ended.

*thinks some more*

...Actually, I do.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

This topic evolved into a pretty good discussion I had with some college friends of mine a couple of years ago. We were watching Sense and Sensibility (or some Jane Austen movie) and my friends were like, oh we'd love to go back to this time period! And I rolled my eyes and said I wouldn't. Of course they asked why and I said because I'd be a slave!
    It's a possibility, but not a certainly. There were free blacks in Austen's England, and in the US of the same era, and of course all over Africa.

It's more accurate to say you might have been a slave. You might also have been an owner of slaves.

MBTI
    INTP

This topic evolved into a pretty good discussion I had with some college friends of mine a couple of years ago. We were watching Sense and Sensibility (or some Jane Austen movie) and my friends were like, oh we'd love to go back to this time period! And I rolled my eyes and said I wouldn't. Of course they asked why and I said because I'd be a slave! It was dead silence while people took in the gravity of the statement. It hurt a little bit because these are people I considered friends, and it just showed me how rarely they thought about what it's like to be me in our own little group (so I'd basically figured out what they thought about it on a larger scale). Statements would be made that I just laughed off or ignored, but I couldn't let this one pass without giving my perspective.

This has always been the funny thing with me and history and why the past has never held much appeal to me. I much prefer from this moment on. How far back could I go: 100, 200, 500, 1000 years? Is there any point in time that it would be OK for me to travel back when either my race or sex wouldn't be a big deal? I have no desire to see dinosaurs or sail with Christopher Columbus. I wouldn't mind witnessing the beginning of the universe. I wouldn't want some invisibility cloak so I could silently observe. I'd like to be an active participant. So I decided I'm not going to sacrifice the most salient parts of my identity just to experience history. I'll move forward and I can move into the future as the complete me.
    Sex is not a big deal today. The majority of the slaves in Europe and America are white women.

Enneagram
    1w2

That is the proverbial "bucket of cold water" -- the contextual correct comment that still turns a conversation on its head and reframes it for everyone.
    I notice that tends to happen when I start talking about my experiences. Everything's fine and dandy until I say what I really think. Like when I was joking with one of my professors when he had a band-aid on his nose and I said wow they really are flesh-colored, or when I question my friends about what do they mean they don't want to go to the "ghetto Target," or why I overhear coworkers making jokes about the store-front churches, liquor stores, and Chinese food joints that abound in certain neighborhoods all the while scaring the hell out of a coworker who was considering moving to that part of the city because it's cheaper (and not as bad as they make it out to be.) Yeah, that kind of stuff tends to be a wet blanket, you know you don't want to think toooo hard about the real world and what not.

I understand why it would hurt, although I don't think it indicated they were slighting the friendship in any way by not thinking of it before you mentioned it.
    Yeah, I'm still friends with them so evidently I didn't think it was a friendship killer. To me it is a slight, but that's a different topic.

(It is totally alien to their life experience, and they also consider you "one of them" or them "one of you" without even reconsideration -- which is actually a positive -- so it is a shock to them to be reminded that not so long ago, there were some very clear and sharp distinctions drawn by race... and for some parts of the culture, those distinctions still do persist at some level.)
    I don't consider it a positive or any type of feather in my cap. They may consider me "one of them" but I don't consider them "one of us" exactly because they so often need reminding. So racial topics get avoided or there are silences when they do come up. This is so much a matter of perspective and I've really had to overlook this when it comes to certain topics with some of my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It's a possibility, but not a certainly. There were free blacks in Austen's England, and in the US of the same era, and of course all over Africa.

It's more accurate to say you might have been a slave. You might also have been an owner of slaves.
    Yeah...thanks for the history lesson and clearing up my confusion between reality and fiction.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3