User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do feel about sports?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm male, and I spend most of my leisure time watching or playing sports.

1 2.78%
  • I'm male, and I enjoy sports, but I also have other significant interests for my leisure time.

9 25.00%
  • I'm male, and I have little interest in sports.

12 33.33%
  • I'm female, and I spend most of my leisure time watching or playing sports.

2 5.56%
  • I'm female, and I enjoy sports, but I also have other significant interests for my leisure time.

8 22.22%
  • I'm female, and I have little interest in sports.

4 11.11%
123 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default How do you feel about sports?

Sports. Do you watch or participate much? If you like sports, which ones do you like and why? If you don't care much for sports, then what is your perspective on the whole thing?

My perspective is that I've never cared too much for sports myself. I've played and watched a fair amount, but it never really stuck. I find other things more interesting, but I want to understand why other people find sports appealing.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

For me you can't even say I have little interest in sports. Since I am totally uninterested in it and I don't give any attention to it.
    However I walk alot so I am in a good shape none the less.

I have never been at some big sport event in my life.

Phantonym

I don't participate that much in sports other than occasional laps in the pool, racquetball sessions and wearing my shoes out because I don't have a car and I have to walk everywhere.

But watching sports is one of my favourite pastimes, among many others. If I feel like it, that is. I mostly watch anything when there's some Olympics, World or European Championship thing going on. And the local events, of course. Mostly track and field athletics events and if there's some athlete from my country participating in them. If there's not, I'm still watching it. Yup, I've usually got my eyes glued to the TV or the computer during the major events.
    But I also enjoy watching Formula 1, World Rally Championship, all sorts of skiing, figure skating, tennis, hockey, basketball, soccer, you name it, I'll watch it.

I'm not addicted to watching sports and if I feel I have better things to do with my time, I'm sure going to do them. Records and specifics bore me, I like to watch the performance most of all. I'm not a fan of any athletes or teams. I usually root for the person or the team that I feel like rooting for at that particular time. That's it folks

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Never had an interest in sports, unless you count single-player video games, which the forum apparently does, but that's mostly because I like compelling stories.

Sometimes I'll put up a Chief Wahoo avatar, but that's mostly for trolling.

Other than that, I know next to nothing about sports. I think they're mostly repetitive, especially baseball.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Right now it's the #2 choice, but ask me again during college football season and I would probably choose #1.

I go through phases where sports is pretty much my #1 hobby, during the fall I spend more of my internet time on football forums than I do forums like TC. But this time of year, I am following the Texas Rangers baseball team, but not much else. And any time my son is playing sports, I go to all his games (and practices) and watch him play at every opportunity.

There have been times in the past that I was really into basketball or tennis or "Xtreme" sports, but right now I don't really care about those. It's like all my other interests, it'd kinda hard to predict when or if I will gain or lose interest.

The other day I was at a restaurant and caught a few minutes of a poker game on tv. There was this girl named Jamaica on there, and it was only worth watching for her. Any time she wasn't on screen, it was boring.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I understand the fun of playing sports. I can be competitive and get into team sports, but I've never taken playing on a team that seriously.

I've never understood the interest people have in watching professional sports teams and athletes though. I can see how exceptional athletic ability is interesting to watch, but how can someone attach part of their ego to a specific team or person to the point of feeling pain if they lose and jubilation if they win? It's quite silly.

I do watch and keep tabs on politics though. Which is like sports for smart people.

MBTI
    SEXY

I do sports (currently rowing) as a means to keep my body fit, because sports is a great way of bonding and socializing with people and to satisfy my competitiveness.

I like to watch sports as a pass-time because it kills time, and gives you something to talk about at work.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I understand the fun of playing sports. I can be competitive and get into team sports, but I've never taken playing on a team that seriously.
    Yeah, that's another thing that drove me away from sports. As someone who was consistently picked last in gym class and beat up in the locker room, I thought too many people took the game way too seriously.
    Last edited by The Ü™; 07-12-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: tone it down

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I understand the point of playing a sport, but I don't see the point of WATCHING something that's meant to be played...
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I love sports. I love competition. I don't like to sit and watch them so much because I get distracted, but I love to play. My favorite sport to play is tennis and my least favorite to play is basketball. But ironically that preference is reversed when watching sports.

But like AJ, I follow politics more closely than sports. Except basketball. I make a lot of money in March...

I prefer playing alone but I don't mind playing team sports as long as I know each and every member is in it to win it. If you are "just having fun", it's better not to play with or against me. And each team member has to know their strengths/weaknesses and not try to be the superstar. I like how we are movable chess pieces. This is the one area in life where I am surprisingly coordinated and not-so-clumsy.

Man, just thinking about it is getting me all riled up and hyper. I wanna play something now.

(and sorry Uber, I would definitely have picked you last...)