User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do feel about sports?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm male, and I spend most of my leisure time watching or playing sports.

1 2.78%
  • I'm male, and I enjoy sports, but I also have other significant interests for my leisure time.

9 25.00%
  • I'm male, and I have little interest in sports.

12 33.33%
  • I'm female, and I spend most of my leisure time watching or playing sports.

2 5.56%
  • I'm female, and I enjoy sports, but I also have other significant interests for my leisure time.

8 22.22%
  • I'm female, and I have little interest in sports.

4 11.11%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I quit playing sports around 8th grade when it wasn't fun anymore. Never really watched them on TV even when I played, but I do have fond memories of going to Wrigley Field every summer growing up. Outside of live games on rare occasions, I haven't much interest.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I understand the point of playing a sport, but I don't see the point of WATCHING something that's meant to be played...
    My thoughts exactly !

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't play so much as I like to watch, but I can enjoy some recreational play. I started learning to play hockey (it's my favorite sport) not too long ago, but currently I don't have the means to play as I am overseas. I plan to get back with it when I return to the states.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Not interested at all.

I'm male, and I hate sports. At least team sports. I prefer movement to sports. I walk and cycle a lot but coordination is not a strength of me.

Interesting how this forum is full of sports haters.

I love sports, watching and playing. I don't get to play as much as I'd like, though, because my friends tend to be comic book and movie geeks instead of sports guys. It's hard to throw a football to yourself! If I'm home with time to myself, sports will be 75% of what I watch on TV, although I don't try to inflict it on others if I'm in a group (except for Sundays during football season!)

I don't have any evidence, but my theory is that being a sports fan brings with it a prepackaged group of people with similar interests and a common goal. For introverts or the socially anxious, this makes it very easy to socialize. If you walk into a stadium or a bar and your allegiances are on the right side, you immediately have lots of new friends. If it weren't for sports, I'd have very little to talk to my dad about...apart from this we're very different people. It also provides a way to identify with your hometown, which is particularly hard to do when you live far away from where you grew up. Finally, if you're so inclined, sports strategy does provide a little intellectual stimulation. It's not rocket science, but the Xs and Os of sports can be quite complex and are fun to debate.

You can say that sports is silly, although I'd posit that bringing people together like I described above means it has tangible benefits. But I've always been mystified and a little irritated by the viewpoint that enjoying sports is somehow categorized with religion as an opiate of the people. That it's there to distract people from the more "important" things, and that smart people know better. First of all, any such argument is equally applicable to any form of entertainment, even "high" art...but it sounds silly to say that opera is for dummies who aren't engaged in the world around them, doesn't it? I wonder if these people have an off switch on their obsessive vigilance. A balance of interests is healthy. At some point, you have to put down The Economist and get a little silly, don't you? Or else what's the point of keeping vigilant?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    You can say that sports is silly, although I'd posit that bringing people together like I described above means it has tangible benefits.
    I appreciate your thoughtful post.

I tend to think most things that human beings do are silly including the majority of activities that I personally enjoy. I simply wonder why sports are appealing to most men but not to me. I think you are right though that it helps people to connect to others in their community. I can see that as a definite appeal. (Random thought: I don't really understand the appeal of Twitter either, but I think it appeals to some in that it helps them feel connected.)
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

I've always found sports soooooooo boring. I can understand getting worked up about being present at a pro-football game, for instance, but I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than watch/listen to sports on tv. The noise, the insipid commentary, the yelling at the tv--I just can't take it. (I can't take listening to political commentary on tv for the same reasons, though.)
    Something Witty

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I love sports and competition. But I'm often put off by the media and lack the time and schedule in real life to really follow any sport to an extent that will make it interesting for me.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf